ZBrushCentral

Mauricio Ruiz Design

Hello everyone,

Been a long time since my first post on here... I'm going to start posting more work. I've really been enjoying ZBrush and more so lately as I've been doing more personal concept stuff. I'm sculpting in ZBrush and doing the color, hair, saliva and environments in PhotoChop. Most of the stuff is done around a day or so. :D ![InTheLikenessOfTheBeast_MauryRuiz.jpg|589x750](upload://y70MmhgSB2C6TDk1KFBsjzUPq79.jpeg)![Beast_Posed.jpg|656x750](upload://1F5QU3GKv6Jgtp37DfHpIl21JqH.jpeg)![Beast_front.jpg|522x750](upload://mPv8G4LiYfvh40UHYzXTzKEIsOb.jpeg)![Beast_right.jpg|522x750](upload://kKc5XpxFL2yvj0JI7ekxInDOl4i.jpeg)![Beast_back.jpg|522x750](upload://r54CUtF0UHrPUPHmsDaX13IHbu5.jpeg)![Beast_left.jpg|522x750](upload://t9eJvGzPVH3px0Z9UEJf2Zb6M77.jpeg)

Great sculpt and image! :+1:

really nice. Could you post a larger final render. it looks awesome. :+1:

well-done on the sculpting and the final composition, very nice :sunglasses:

Great work, I love the heat haze.

http://simongrell.co.uk/

I like it, but maybe use a different mat cap to show it off ?

Here it is a bit larger :wink:

![InTheLikenessOfTheBeast_MauryRuiz.jpg|1100x1600](upload://rbzuh6Ied6CKp8EGyRDGb7TXATx.jpeg)

Attachments

InTheLikenessOfTheBeast_MauryRuiz.jpg

Top row stuff in my opinion!

How much painting in it?
I love the hanging skulls, are they ztools or completely painted?

Nice hybrid mix of techniques.
I likes it allot.
Cheers
Cesar Dacol Jr.
Aka, The Voodoo Monkey

Great character!Really nice work!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Beautiful in every way - original, great sculpt, awesome render, and sweet composition.

Top row now! :+1:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The model is shown in a matcap that I sculpt in, plus a slight rim light added to clearly define the silhouette. Would a darker matcap with a balance value range be better?

stefanobernardi,

The ZBrush model I posted was the only 3D stuff. I did make some base meshes for the teeth in Maya, which were inspired a bit by a Port Jackson Shark’s teeth, but my creature’s teeth are not as cool as the reference. Everything else was painted in Photoshop. I looked at some reference of bird and cat skulls to get a general feel, then added the teeth as I felt it should be. Hair and environment was painted as well. The lighting of a specific matcap inspired the environment, so I came up with a lighting composition that suggested bottom lighting, and I made a composite of some rim lighting to define the form. I wanted to go to town on the lava more, but I had to finish in a time line I could reproduce on a real production.

Some close ups of the head and arm:

![Beast_Arm1.jpg|1018x750](upload://nRDr9FDPtJ0FRoSHEwdsMyH1iRf.jpeg)![Beast_Arm2.jpg|696x750](upload://xSIzerrftlS7nLRr9QrNjmInwuJ.jpeg)![Beast_Head.jpg|1100x750](upload://es3UKCx8JIVvK4kC8sPc5e24Nvy.jpeg)

Attachments

Beast_Head.jpg

Oh wow, this is amazing…its innovative, its well done, its a nice pose, lighting…everything is great :smiley:
Topnotch

This is the coolest creature I’ve seen in a long time. The more you look at it the more trippy it becomes. Great work man.

Really great creature man, i especially love the hands ! The anatomy looks really solid and it looks really great without a debauchery of details. Nice !

Hello everyone,

So, this is a Pterosaur of sorts with a rich crimson coat of hair that covers its wings. In my opinion, the hair could play the role of reducing sound like an owl’s plumage, but that’s just a fun side note that is not conveyed in the image.

I sculpted it in ZBrush, and painted in PhotoChop. All hair, color and background is painted.

Hope you guys like :smiley:

and for those with bigger monitors :smiley:

![Crimson_Sky_MauryRuiz.jpg|563x750](upload://zE0Tqf1aCCClFRMYOQIgVwoLomP.jpeg)![Crimson_Sky_MauryRuiz.jpg|1100x1600](upload://A4JFBooo7u6PvKgVC7GXPvkSV0J.jpeg)![Crimson_WingSpan.jpg|1100x750](upload://6td68SrALmuCpTgGl1nN0qMLF2k.jpeg)![Crimson_Head.jpg|1100x750](upload://d8kNSwG938ASY6EALjT8TNWChq0.jpeg)

Attachments

Crimson_Sky_MauryRuiz.jpg

Crimson_WingSpan.jpg

Crimson_Head.jpg

Great creature ! reminds me a bit the flying things from Avatar, but this one is more unique imo. :slight_smile: Nice !

What a beautiful creature! Quite classic but, at the same time, inventive. I dare question the legs. While very unique and interesting, how does it walk? They look quite nimble. Or DOES it walk…? Whatever the case, all great art should get the viewer to think and spark some imagination. This piece certainly does it. Thanks for sharing! :+1: :+1:

Hello ZBrush Community!

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

I’ve been trying to find the time to post some new work, and with the recent ZBrush 4R2 release, I had to get my hands on all the new features. Dynamesh and LightCap are very fun! Thanks Pixologic for these awesome features!!! (among many others;)

So, this is a personal piece I created for my portfolio. I love aquatic life and the unique forms of life that thrive in our oceans, so I’m constantly gravitating toward designing creatures within this theme.

I wanted to depict the moment when this creature, summoned against its will, first breaches the sea. Angered by the ferocious swells, tormented by the frigid wind and riddled with disdain as it scornfully peers out to the one who conjured him from the silent depths below.

Critiques on the concept or how well my story is conveyed and how it can be improved are appreciated. Also, any technical software critiques are also welcomed.

I created the model, colored and rendered in ZBrush. I did almost no composite work in PhotoChop, just short of some final contrast and blur touch ups. The background / environment was PhotChop.

Thanks everyone and I hope you enjoy!

Maury Ruiz

Concept Artist Creature Designer

www.mauryruiz.com

Summoned_from_the_Depths.jpg

And for those with smaller monitors :wink:

Attachments

He looks awesome!