Senior Member Follow User Gallery

haha
    That's great Mealea.
    I love it.

Nice!Is this the for the Daft Punk album of Bob Dylan covers?

hahaha!!!!
    Its old Harmonica Face!
    Thats not what he looks like, its was photoshopped using a filter called Distant Past, then it was touched up with the Cocaine Removal Tool 2.4, the Andy Warhol addition.
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

Someone in the help and troubleshooting section was asking about the various passes ZBrush makes and weather they are possible in KeyShot.
    On of the things that annoyed me when I got it is that there is no atmospheric stuff, I watched the demos PixoLogic put up and the one about building a forest had fog, theres no fog in KeyShot and that sucks.
    However....
    I know how to fake it.
    These two images are (obviously) the same object, and while this was just a very very quick test it looks like it will work just fine.
    These are crap, its just a five minute experiment to see what I could come up with:

Quick object:

Faked depth:

Both:

I will make a quick tutorial on this later and try to upload some texture files to play with. Its actually easy.
    nope...

nice zdepth pass man..

I agree. Really missing the ability to pull off some volumetric effects. I'm crazy curious how you did this. Eagerly await your tutorial.

MealeaYing:

Neat depth effect in your post #1984
    Certainly zbrush and/or Keyshot materials make it possible.
    Wondering,... waiting,... Anticipating a work flow many people will try to use.

Doing the best I can with the tools I have !

post #1984
    Big Brother is watching and wants to know how!

Big BROTHER?!?
    You mean Aurick right?

So KeyShot doesn't do a lot of the things we ought to be able to take for granted, this sucks but thats life.
    I bought KeyShot based on this:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...Brush-4R7-Demo
    Oh well.

A quick note about KeyShot Rendering:
    DO NOT SAVE AS JPEG.
    Their JPEG quality SUCKS! I have it set to maximum quality and it looks like TOTAL CRAP.

Ok so here's how this works, its actually easy, and can be done to anything in a number of different ways.

1. Make your stuff how ever you like, just make sure its something you can export into KeyShot.
    2. Make a gradient image like the one below, or simply cheat and use that one.
    3. Export your image into KeyShot.
    4. Render it however you like, DO NOT move your view in any way, ie: no rotating, panning etc.
    5. Save your render somewhere useful.
    6. In the Material Palette on the left find Flat Grey and drag it onto your object, if it only does a part of it see below.
    7. Right click on your object(s) and select Edit Material.
    8. On the right a bunch of new fun stuff pops up, click the Textures Tab.
    9. DoubleClick the Color Icon.
    10. Select your lovely gradient.
    11. Change BoxMap to PlanarX (you can play with this later, in fact you SHOULD)
    12. You might notice that the texture doesn't fit, the easiest, and most fun way to fix this is with the Scale Slider (the scale slider can go past +2 and - 2, you just need to type in what you are after to get your whole object covered.
    13. Render again.
    14. And again save your render somewhere useful, perhaps where you saved the other one.

This is the See Below part, if you wind up with parts of your object being filled right click on the object and hit UnLink Material, and try again, that should do the trick.

1. Now, now fire up your image editor... This gets vague as I haven't got PhotoShop.
    2. Load up all of your renders into whatever it is you are using.
    3. Use Layers to place the gradient render on top of your full color render and set its properties to something like Lighten, Screen or what ever does the trick. I find that using multiple composites can be a lot of fun and thats why there is the next bit:

If you find that the fade is happening backwards you can hus Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical to fix it below all the sliders in the Material editing pallet and re-render.
    Make a bunch of renders, and save them, but change the textures, mapping type, and what ever else you like, just don't move the view.
    Composite them till you have things you like, its actualy a lot of fun.

KeyShot hasn't got volumetrics, in fact it hasn't got a lot of stuff, but I Suspect with a little screwing around a lot of it can be faked just like making fog or whatever I just demonstrated.

EDIT:
    ZBC wont let me upload an image....
    Its 1024x1024 and grey scale.... this is pathetic.
    nope...

Tada:

Adat:
    nope...

Clever! I've got a few future projects that could use some atmospheric effects. I'll certainly try to put this technique to use and post if I get any decent results. I'm guessing that this would only work on a single object. What if there were separate islands of geometery in your tool. Would that still work you think?
    Regarding Digital Art.

"So let me get this straight. I no longer need to watch paint dry, no more toxic chemicals or ruined clothing by a rogue globule of Alizarin Crimson? No longer will be punished for experimentation by ruining my work? I can take forms and colors and patterns and rearrange them at will upon my canvas. Easily upload and have my work seen by a vast global audience? BASICALLY, I can take what ever I can imagine and make it manifest?"

"Yes, but you'll be shunned by the "Artistic World"

"Cool, Where do I sign?"

MY LAZY EYE

User Gallery
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/zb_...mbs.php?u=3053

It works, its just harder to scale, and in the example below I had to use Angel. Scale is set much higher so you don't get repetition (23 in this case).

Try using the different Planar things, the example is:

• Planar Z
    • Scale 23
    • Angel 90

nope...

Something else to note on these is that you might want to not use backgrounds, shadows, or reflections, it depends what you are after.
    Also you can make some serious masks with this using solid colors.
    AND you can export "Texture 40" out of ZBrush and use that for all sorts of entertaining weirdness.
    Weeee!
    nope...

mealea,

nice pseudo-SubSurface Scattering effect......thanks a bunch for the tutorial!

Also like "LitTheHellUp" (post #1980).......(as in Louis Litt in Suits?)....great image.

BTW, your art is always interesting, provocative, leading edge. Even what you called "crap"
    would look great on the wall of a gallery with your other works. Seriously!

In fact, your art (& tutorials) was the "catalyst" that gave me the incentive to hang in with ZBrush
    and keep at it till became fun & familiar.

Thanks!!!

Megacal, thats totaly sweet, thankyou!
    I have no idea what "Louis Litt in Suits" is, I looked it up and got some bloviating skinhead guy in Google images...
    All I could say was: "Huh?!?"
    You are right it could be used as SSS as well, or any number of other things, I think even AO is possible...

Ok....
    So here's this.
    Marcus Civis made me do it!
    hahahaha!

Simple Brush using Michalis's alpha on Drag Rect, 2.5D, then PixolsTo3D and off to KeyShot...
    Marcus is hard at work, yet these took me five minutes (quite likely less) to draw and a long time to render.

MojoJoJo likes this, this is a repeating object, it repeats, its redundant, there is more than one of it, it is seamlessly repetitious, AND it impresses MojoJoJo, MojoJoJo is therefore impressed.
    So there...
    I just had to get that out of my system.

This is one object:

This is the same object repeated four times:

If I use array or nano mesh I can make these repeat as many times as I want.
    nope...