ZBrushCentral

ZBrush Interview: Gimpville

[attach=245996]Banner.jpg[/attach]

Back in December we did an interview with Storm Studios for their work on a movie called Trolljergen (Troll Hunter). As you know, the special effects for many movies today are contracted out to multiple companies with each contributing specific shots to the final production. We thought that with the Troll Hunter, it would be interesting to speak with two companies that worked on the project!

Today we are sharing Part 2 of the Troll Hunter interviews. This time we spoke with Gimpville, another Norwegian special effects house and contributor of perhaps the most massive CG character ever put on film! Weighing in at a whopping half billion polygons, their 300 foot troll is the stuff of legends.

We hope you enjoy this conclusion to the Troll Hunter saga. It provides a good bit of insight into how ZBrush was used and why it was “the only weapon of choice” to accomplish Gimpville’s herculean task!

Click HERE for the Interview

Here’s a sampler of the many images that you’ll find. You can view them in high resolution from the interview pages.

[attach=245997]Image1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=245998]Image3.jpg[/attach]
[attach=245999]Image2.jpg[/attach]

Many thanks to Torgeir, Christer and Simon! It is a great pleasure to be able to bring your work to light in this manner.

Pixologic would also like to extend our thanks to Gimpville for having consented to share this interview with the ZBrush community.

Use this thread to discuss the interview!

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the ZBrush Artist Interviews forum and the User Stories page at the Pixologic website.

[attach=246000]Icon.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Banner.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Icon.jpg

Thanks for this interesting interview… :+1:

There it is :slight_smile:
Great stuff guys. Let’s get the Norwegian trolls out there the way they are supposed to be presented!

Great interview :slight_smile:
I still haven’t seen the movie though (and I’m Norwegian, I should see it, shame on me!)
Great of Simon to share some ideas of how his methods work :slight_smile:

Great interview, really like the sculpt!
Awesome details, and incredible polycount 500Million polys!! :grimacing:small_orange_diamond:grimacing:small_orange_diamond:grimacing:

Remind me when I get back so I can smack you in the back of your head!

Movie is Great! Thanx for interview!!! :cool:

Another brilliant interview! Looking forward to seeing the Troll hunter!!

You guys rock! Your work is inspirational! I still havent seen the movie, hard to get it in Germany, but I’m hoping to be in Norway soon enough. Then I will obviously pick it up!

-Birtles

Thanks guys the movie looks awesome. Pixologic should look into making some VIDEO interviews.

Great interview, and thanks for the mention!

I’m trying to get back into zBrush myself these days, after hitting multiple walls in Mudbox. This was a great bit of inspiration :slight_smile:

Haha!

Great interview! Finally norway is getting some attention when it comes to CG!

Great follow-up :+1:

Just watched the movie. nice trolls ;):+1:

Inspirational
Great work!

I wont let you! :smiley: You have smacked to much Maya information in my head, my head is all tired of you smacking it!

wow tis is too good

nice,nice,nice

Oh, I bet you can take one more :slight_smile:

as Etcher said: great follow up.

Thanks for that interview.