ZBrushCentral

oil painting (tutorial)

I wanted to get the feeling of an old oil painting.
What do you think?

Well if that isn’t a Slick 50 oil painting i don’t know what is.
good job :+1:

lol slick50…I need some of that too…grrrrr…but…This piece is very pretty and definitely has that painterly quality to it…love your use of colors… :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

holy crap, this was created all in ZBrush? this is just kickass

And a mighty fine job you did too buddy! Can you share with us any insights on how it was accomplished? :+1: :+1:

Excellent work Sarum!! :+1: :+1:
Truly looks like an oil painting, the light that comes from the hole in the wall its greaat!, i want to camp inside this room/cave and stay there for a lot of time.

magic!

kiss

Excellent image,imaginative, and great light effects. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
Dave

I like the use of light in this image. As Mentat7 has requested, would You? you know I am into painting and any new hints would be greatly appreciated.

The sun and sky in particular have a very painted quality to them. And your use of light on the landscape rings true. :+1:

:smiley: :+1: Well, I think you did JUST THAT!

Gorgeous colors!! :grimacing: :smiley: :+1:

A very intersting and stylish painting it is…I love to see the painting uses of ZBrush being explored, and you did a fine job with this one…!
:+1: :+1: :+1: :sunglasses: :+1: :+1: :+1:

thanks all

> Can you share with us any insights on how it was accomplished?

first i created the landscape using the method explained in the “introduction” thread.
About the material, i discovered how useful the reflectivity slider could be. If you never used it before, make some experiments, cause it’s really worth it.

On a second layer, i added the sky and planet.
The background/sky was made using the fiberbrush with glow material (i discovered this method after playing with the balrog tutorial, works well to do neat backgrounds). The only thing you have to remember is to put Supersampling=4 in render/antialiasing panel (otherwise effect will not be render) and you might have to play also with settings in the picker palette, but i am not sure yet how this one works
The planet/sun is a sphere + fiberbrush/smudge tool
Now we render the scene and export it as a bmp.

Now here is the surprise :slight_smile: the next step is not done in photoshop but in picture publisher.
If you are wondering what picture publisher is, i will say that it is like photoshop + a hughe quantity of effects and goodies. Its a lot simplier and faster to use, and its a lot cheaper. I just work better and faster with pp than with photoshop :slight_smile:

first we apply an aquarella filter and we do a bit of cleaning.

There is a very powerful feature in pp, the lightning section.
The method i use is the following :
-open pp or photoshop or whatever
-copy the picture and paste it. You should now have 2 layers with the same picture in it.
-on the second layer, apply some effects or lightning (in pp i use the lightning section) on the whole layer
-now try different settings for the 2nd layer mixing mode (add, multiply, colour, saturation, red, … )
-play with transparency of the 2nd layer if needed.
-once you are satisfied, merge everything as if you were baking in zb.

Then redo this operation again and again … depending the mixing modes you will choose, you can get all kind of renderings.

Once you are satisfied, import picture in zbrush for new enhancing (and antialiasing if needed).

Thanks for sharing the how-to Sarum! :+1:

very interesting…thnx for sharing yer process and insights…and outstanding imagery :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Very nice! :+1:

This is very cool, thanks for sharing how it was done.

Thanks very much for the information. You did a great job. :+1: :+1: :+1:

I think you’ve achieved the style you were looking for very well Sarum. It reminds me of the work of British painter John Martin, particularly The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah :+1: :+1:

Great tips!

I cut my teeth on Picture Publisher. Nice app for quick work.

VERY well used in this piece. :smiley: :+1: :+1: :+1:

good to hear about an other pp user :slight_smile:
Have you ever used the lightnning section in it?