Default Polycount Brawl - Killer Instinct - Cinder - MagmaPixel

I'm reluctantly entering the contest. Not much time left, and I have to learn some new technical stuff in Maya, but hopefully I'll be able to get a good end result.

It's been lot of fun so far. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Cinder is my fighter, because he leaves so much room to be creative. You can do all kinds of things with a roughly humanoid ball of fire.

Here's my generalized concept process.

Cinder_Thumbnail.jpg
    Cinder Process_1.jpg

******I COULD USE SOME HELP******
    I'm no expert on shaders or different kinds of maps. It's hard to make some things look as good in Maya as it does in Zbrush. I have a basic understanding, but any tips would be appreciated.

Here are some areas I'm interested in.
    -Taking Zbrush matcaps to Maya. Is it possible? I want to keep my zbrush shader.
    -Any easy ways to make a Maya shader mimic a Zbrush matcap?
    -What's the best process for applying texture, lighting, glow, etc, for videogames? Any good Maya tutorials on that?

Basically, I just need more information to make my final output look great in applications other than zbrush, rather than just pretty good. ANYTHING.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cinder Process_1.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	356.3 KB 
ID:	249180  
    Last edited by MagmaPixel; 04-21-11 at 01:48 PM.

This is looking really nice. I'm not completely familiar with the rules of your competition, but I think a luminousity map is something to look at. Paint a black and white map where white defines 100% luminous and black is projecting no light.. That should make the white hot parts of the rocky-lava material stand out.

I was actually playing around with luminosity maps last night. They'll help.

I guess I'm mostly looking for better methods than my own. I've always felt like there must be better techniques to the technical side of things.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Looks a lot like Blaze, from Mortal Kombat.

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/index....e=BlazeArm-jpg