ZBrushCentral

TextureMaster Revision G: A 3D texturing ZScript and tutorials (Updated May 7th 2003)

Hi :slight_smile:
In ZBrush, there are several methods that can be used when texturing a 3D object.
The most effective method is to utilize the 3DCopy feature; a feature which enables
you to incorporate all ZBrush tools (2D and 3D) in the texturing process.

The TextureMaster ZScript simplifies this texturing process and allows you to gain
the full benefit of the 3DCopy feature.

If you are interested in texturing a 3D object that was created in ZBrush or imported
from other applications, you are likely to find this ZScript valuable.

:large_orange_diamond:Click here to download the latest version of TextureMaster (revision G) :large_orange_diamond:

Installation instructions:

1. Click the above link and download the TextureMasterRevG.zip
  2. Extract the zip file and put the TextureMasterRevG folder within your ZScripts :small_orange_diamond:Utilities folder.
  3. Launch ZBrush and load the TextureMasterRevG ZScript. If you are currently using the ZLauncher ZScript then you need redirect your current TextureMaster icon (option+click on the icon) to load the new version.
  4. Press the Show And Tell button to learn about this ZScript.

Please post your texturing experiments and/or findings.
-Pixolator

:large_orange_diamond: Revision G. Updated May 7th 2003:
Added AUVTiles texture-size compatibility check when using AUVTiles mapping. TextureMaster will now display an informative note when Texture-size/UV mapping incompatibility is detected.

:large_orange_diamond: File Updated Jan 2003:
Revision F is now included with ZBrush download. Added functionality and support for AUVTiles mapping.

:large_orange_diamond: File Updated November 8th 12:25am:
Revision E: Fixes a minor problem when using the ?PickUp? button on a large canvas in zoomed-out mode.

:large_orange_diamond: File Updated October 21st 1:23am:
Revision D: Notes have been added to Chapter 5 to further explain the process of importing 3D objects, importing morph targets and UV coordinates.

Previously published ZScript :small_orange_diamond:AlphaCentury
Newer published ZScript :small_orange_diamond:MaterialPack

Thank you, Pixolator! Awesome!
:+1: :sunglasses: :+1: :sunglasses: :+1:

Well, so much for my hope of getting any sleep tonight…

It’s great to finally see this puppy available. I know you’ve been working on it for a long time, and can’t thank you enough for making the time to create it.

Well, it just finished downloading, so I’m off to ZBrush Land. :smiley:

Thanks!

I got it…
Well, my weekend is full…

Thank You PIXOLATOR

cameyo

Thanks Pixolator! Got it, but I’ll have to look at it tomorrow, have to get some sleep. People to do, things to see in the morning and all that stuff.

:+1: :+1: :+1: WOW :+1: :+1: :+1:

Now I see why it took so long to create. You’ve seriously outdone yourself with this one, Pixolator. I’d expected a tutorial script, and the one that you created is phenomenal.

What I did not expect was what is for all intents and purposes a whole new Palette for ZBrush! It’s sleek. It’s stylish. And most of all, it’s incredibly functional while still being almost too simple to use. I’m probably going to spend a lot of time going over the script’s text just to try and figure out why and how some of those tricks work. After I get back from the doctor, that is. I think I may have broken my jaw with the force at which it hit the floor. :wink:

For anyone who is a 3DMax, Poser, Bryce, Maya, or other modeler, I have to say this: TextureMaster incorporates about 90% of the reason anyone would want to go out and buy Deep Paint 3D with Texture Weapons. The ability to manipulate UV coordinates is just about the only thing that this new script doesn’t give to ZBrush, and it compensates for that fact because this technique eliminates almost every need to do so! In fact, this method of using 3DCopy is actually far, far easier and more accurate to work with than Texture Weapons’ projection painting tools. I suddenly seriously regret having spent nearly $1300 recently for those two packages.

Only one comment (if I may) that I noticed with the tutorial that would be helpful for users of other apps. At the end of Part 5, the rhino has a metallic gold saddle and bracers. To get that same reflective effect in other programs, it will be necessary to create a reflection map, in addition to the bump map. That can be done in a matter of minutes with Photoshop or similar, though – and I’m sure that it can also be accomplished very nicely directly in ZBrush.

Once again, a heartfelt and hearty thank you to Pixolator for creating this, and then giving it to us for free!

Thanks Pixolator! I thought I could hear a lot of hammering and sawing going on down in the ZBrush workshop. Just didn’t know what you were up to. I just downloaded it, but I haven’t used it yet since I have to get back to my OcaML homework which is making me tear my hair out and make funny animal noises while I figure it out. :slight_smile:

:+1: :+1: :+1:…+ super :sunglasses:, Pixolator! Wow! an improvement and take-off to new dimensions like this probably would have made all other app-producers to call their baby by a new version number! :smiley: thank you veryveryetc. much!

ok, here are the questions that i have after having had my first 2 sessions only. my 1st project was to make a texturemap for ed-the-atom’s seagull-tool (for those who dunno, it’s available at Atom-Art section of Digits’ great Z-place) which i use so many times :wink: of course i wanted to make the -hmmm- mouth? :slight_smile: and eyes more specular than the rest - so i applied the toyplastic there the way you tought us, which worked rather fine (well, the eyes didn’t but then it’s no prob to insert toyplastic-spheres into the sockets) until i loaded the texture in a new session… all was done in the same material.

ok, back to school, TextureMaster show&tell, chapter 3, the superneato speaker-stove. looks like i have the same problem still:

for sphere 1 i used the texture that you created directly, which worked primo and as i thought it would/should. i then saved (exported) the texture a) without saving an own material channel as asked by the appearing dialogue (sphere 2) and b) clicking yes and thus thinking i had saved an own material channel (sphere 3) which does not look like it would make any difference to sphere2. :confused: have i missed anything important? looks like! could you please tell me what i am doing wrong?

another thing i seem to have missed in all that excitement is the use of the :+1: designed colour-controllers of TextureMaster. it looks rather self-explicatory but with all of what i know of the magic you can do i would love to get a few introductory magic spells to be able to make full use of them! :smiley:

TIA and for that fantastico new feature, once again!

• juandel

Hi, Juandel. Working with Kruzr’s Polymesh Glasses script, I learned that a ZBrush texture that is created to include material information will remember from one session to the next what materials were used – but it won’t recreate them.

Before you end your session, click the “R” in the upper-right corner of the Material palette. Then save any materials that you have modified. When you begin a new session and first draw the object, the modified materials will be unmodified. Click that “R” again, then reload the modified version of the material back into the same slots to replace the unmodified versions. That should (hopefully) do the trick.

Which reminds me! If exporting the texture to another app, none of those material effects will transfer through (as mentioned in my post above). But there’s a cheat that you can do to make it seem like they did. Unwrap the texture and fill the layer with it. Adjust your light settings to get the material looking like what you want it to – catching a reflection, for example – and then bake the layer. That turns the material-generated lighting effects into the flat color material. Now MRGBZGrab the whole layer and export that texture. Voila! When applied in a new app, the material effects will appear to have transferred across. There’s a catch to that, though, and it is that reflectivity will not change based upon lighting in the scene as it would naturally do. That’s because the reflective effect is baked into the texture, rather than being created via the other app’s own reflection engine (which is what a reflection map does).

I hope that method helps you out, Juandel. Let me know. I haven’t tested it yet, but it was the solution that worked with the Polymesh Glasses and I can’t see any reason that it wouldn’t here, too. :slight_smile:

thank you, Aurick! :smiley: i’ll give that a try but i’m afraid it won’t work; reason is: for the 3 spheres i stayed within the session, so all materials were still available - i just exported the pixolator-made texture and loaded it into another slot of the texture-palette. hmmm. but let’s see :wink:

• juandel

Uh oh, I think I’m in trouble now. Lots more to play with in ZBrush :slight_smile:
The ability to paint with other tools then apply it to the object and keep going will be a great tool while coloring. So far, I have painted objects and then frozen then to add more details with the other brush. This improves that process so much. Thanks Pixolator :+1: :+1:

'Morning Pixolator . . . :slight_smile:

Thank you much for the new “Texture Master” ZScript. :wink: Only had a chance to view it once since the download, but will view it several more times before the day is over. Heheheh. :rolleyes:

It appears that with this new ZScript, there should be nothing missing in the Texture application areas within ZBrush. :smiley:

I’ve got a few dollars saved up, that I wouldn’t mind spending to fly down there, be taught by the Creator & Master himself, & receive my diploma in “Mastering ZBrush”, at the “Pixologic University Of Creative & Fine Arts”. :wink: ( Getting Ticket Ready. )

Thanks again & have a good one . . . :cool: Mark.

ok - shame on me! here is the solution to my above “problem”: in case you didn’t know: i’m a fool :smiley: (i knew, but that did not help)

Pixolator just reminded me that it takes just to save the tool - to get asked if the texture should be saved with it! this will save any material values with it… in case the material is not a default one, the material, as aurick pointed it out, has to be saved as well, of course.

hope to have set things straight for the very unlikely case anyone else should ever stumble over that same “problem”. sigh. blush. and sigh again.

thank you very much, Pixolator and Aurick :smiley:

• juandel

Well, I think I got most of my cerebrum off the monitor, but I seem to be missing great chunks of my cerebellum! One hell of a tutorial, Pix! :+1: :+1: (Not enough thumbs-up room on here!)
Fantastic! This will need much viewing but my eyes and head are now graphic newborns!
Thanks doesn’t express it Pix, but thanks anyway! :+1: :+1: :+1: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Hmmmmmm.
It’s probably me, but I can’t get this badboy to run. (and after seeing everyone’s responses…I really want to be able to. :wink:

I follow Pix’x bulleted instructions (done it 3 times, in case I messed it up)

And I get nothing but a blank script screen…hmmmmmmmmm

I’m confused. :confused:

But then again, nothing new there.

For the record, I have only looked at a couple scripts and have not really tried to learn much about them. :rolleyes: yeah. I’m ashamed!!

Anyone with a big heart willing to “teach” me the script ropes will get a healthy THANK YOU. And maybe some exclusive textures. hee hee.

Thanks guys. :cool:

Kathy,

Just in case, let me share with you what I did to make it not work :slight_smile:

I put the TextureMaster script in the script folder, Outside of the TextureMaster folder.

The result was a blank screen with a :ex: sign or something similar in the script window.

After putting it back in the TextureMaster flder, it worked fine…

Just#$%^&@(* amazing.this is a mighty script.I’m continually amazed at what ZBrush is capable of.Thanks Pix.

I´m probably dense but this script is moving way to fast for me
I don´t remeber enough to do it myself
there isn´t by any chance some written tutorial about 3d-copy???
I´ve done the scipt that came with the program
and I checked the manual
I still don´t tget much of it
except from watching pixolators script
I can see it´s a very powerful tool
and I want to learn how to use it
can anybody help???

:small_orange_diamond:Sits and stares at the screen :small_orange_diamond:

Wow, that is absolutely stunning - TextureMaster has solved just about every problem I had with texturing models. Thank you :smiley:

Lobo - 3D Commune

HmmThanks Kaz,

But I have it within the the folder.

Just don’t get it.

Hmmmmmmmmm.