ZBrushCentral

Is there anyway to put a hole in somthing?

As the title suggests im looking for a way to put a hole in somthing.

For example, in my next peice, I want to have a guy with his back facing us, so we see the back at his head, opening a bedroom door, etc. Its going to be a horror type scene.

What I was thinking of doing was creating a 3d Plane, cutting out a door shape, so I have a shape like an upside down ‘U’(not an arch though), then creating the door seperatley, so I can have it open.

The reason why I’m looking at actually cutting out a hole in the plane, is so I can have it looking into a scene inside the ‘room’.

Is there anyway to cut peices out of models, not just push them back. I literally want to remove a chunk of the plane so that I can see right through it?

Thanks

I did something like what your talking about. But I believe mine was more basic. I used this method here. http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000040

Not sure if that’s what your looking for or not. :slight_smile:

yeah that works nicely :slight_smile: Actually I had tried that but it didnt work that well the first time.

I found I had to create the 3d plane, but then bring it right forward in ‘3d space’, then create another 3d plane, and bring it right forward in “3d space” to the same level, then hit cut or sub. Then and only then was I able to place objects behind the “frame” and have them visible in the hole, but not where the frame is covering.

Its really more complex than I would of like it to be, however it works :slight_smile: Thank you

I started searching through quicklinks before actually. But I stumbled across markers, gave them a whirl, now I cant see how I ever lived without them!

EDIT: Actually now that i think about it, I wish there was a way that you could get side on and see exactly how much room you have in the front and back of your little “zbrush 3d world” as it makes it hard to plan out a complex scene like the one im working on now. I dont want to get it three quarters done only to find out that I cant push it back anymore or vice versa :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi :slight_smile:
The simplest method to cut through a 3D object is by applying a transparent texture.
He is an example of a transparent texture applied to a 3D sphere…

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1022335393flw.gif[/img]      

When applying a transparent texture to a 3D object, all texture-pixels that are pure black (RGB 0,0,0) will not be rendered, effectively creating hole/s in 3D objects.

Here are steps for a simple example…

1. Select a Sphere3D tool.
  2. Draw Sphere in canvas and enter edit mode.
  3. Select Txtr08 from the Texture palette.
  4. Activate the TEXTURE :small_orange_diamond:Transparent option.

The above steps will produce see-through stripes in the Sphere3D object.

Two tips related to transparency…

1. You may want to turn on the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Modifiers :small_orange_diamond:Double option in order to be able to see the front and back sides of a semi-transparent object.
  2. You may want to turn off the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Modifiers :small_orange_diamond:Texture :small_orange_diamond:Grd option in order to get a cleaner edge around the simulated texture hole/s.

The following see-through sphere is the result of applying the above six steps…

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
-Pixolator

Good questions.
Here is an idea. Create a separate layer with some kind of reference for depth. Attached is something I am using on my next project. It is a series of cubes placed using Global Perspective. The layer can be removed or hidden once completed.

Pixolator: Thank you so much. This has been a great help. I had spent about an hour and still hadn’t acheived the result I wanted, then after reading this, I had clocked it out within minutes. Thank you!

Kaz: Fantastic idea that should do the trick! Thank you so much, both of you

Hey Scougall

I noticed your post and was interested in making architectural details in Zbrush as well. Pixolators post is great because he touched on something I never thought of and it probably is the simplest solution but I thought I’d share my findings using the Ring3D tool. If you turn the Smooth H and Smooth V off and bring down the resolution, you can create something that might be helpful in your next project involving a door or window.

With symmetry on you can move the points out out to make walls and to make more of a curved top doorway you can Divide the Ring and reposition the points. I tried to make a script but it didn’t let me type in the variables when played back.

I apologize for my lateness in my reply.
Good luck with your project.
jelee

these script has Note in them Pointing what to Pick :small_orange_diamond:Hole.txt

and here one you can put a Hole and stay in edit Mode Here :small_orange_diamond:3Dhole.txt

you posted a example but i think he wanting a tutorial along with that to understand how it was done.
great Pic :+1:

Thanks EZ, Pix and everyone else who answered the question… I’m not new, but still haven’t got the handle on everything yet… always looking at answers even if I don’t know the questions yet… :slight_smile:

Great pic Kruzr, I’d like to know how you did it as well… teehee!

Fantastic, thanks guys. This is great. I’m actually going to redo the scene im working on using this latest technique. The transparency trick was good, but it meant that the wall had to be the last thing I put in place which would made the perspective a hard thing to get a handle on

That’s some great information, all of you. I’ll have to try some of this stuff out.