Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Wasn't that long ago ......

as I remember when Zbrush wasn't too much more developed than Sculptris is now. I first heard of Zbrush 2 in Poser forum, was mentioned for texturing Clothing Items. They were just getting ready to release Zbrush 3. The grey turned to black, the clay turned to red wax and a handfull of new tools showed up. I followed along for a little while, and as I remember, Most of the Best new stuff started as shared USER SCRIPTS. This is what Sculptris lacks the most. And I know there are plenty of users who would be more than willing to share, but the lack of information makes it almost completely impossible to do any Scripting.

A very good point!
    Would be nice to see some real progress done by the community.
    But I wouldn't expect too much.

Google Sketch up really has tons of useful plugs and scripts, but there is sketch up pro for purchase.
    Sculptris has zbrush as the commercial next step.

We will see.

Autodesk is going in this new direction like Google. Giving soft for free and and get people into 3d. More and more important - the possibility to print 3D stuff.

Sculptris like soft with a "3dprint company" button.....I guess pixo should think about it. With good contracts free don't have to be for nothing

@Knacki
    You mentioned sketchup. It's ridiculous that google asks ~500 for the pro version. 500 for just supporting obj export!
    The ruby plugins run on the free version. There's a free ruby for exporting obj but a little buggy.
    Let's not forget, sculptris' best friend (and possibly the present or the future of sc) is blender. There the tools for 3d printing, a much better than zbrush retopology, projecting on low cage, UVs baking, decent renderers.
    A ScGoBlender plugin then, just for fun as we don't really need it.

@michalis
    Correct but you have several detailed options for exporting.
    Even the sketch Up import functions in 3ds max are not plug and play.
    The pro version finally saves working and lifetime.
    500 could be quickly played in.

For the hobbyist it's a waste of money. Several steps over blender and you are there.

If you use your stuff commercially and there is something useful you can buy for reasonable money - you will finally buy it.
    All this workarounds and "thousand steps" are just stopping you from production.

Getting people into 3d sculpting and selling zbrush later, that's sculptris future.

OK, I don't pay for this.
    "Even the sketch Up import functions in 3ds max are not plug and play."
    eh, it is if... save textures using less than 8 digits. Less than 64 k faces on a single mesh, you may have lot of them as groups, it;s ok then. lol

Once upon a time a blender 2.49 to SketchUp small tutorial.
    I have to update it but never mind. Actually I think that a SU to SC to SU workflow could be more interesting.
    http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutor...rganic-shapes/

The future of sculptris...
    after new zb release...
    where is this auto retopology of dr petters ?
    How an auto remesh-project method is better than a sculptris - autoretopo - goZ flow?

Default new dinamesh apps

Getting people into 3d sculpting and selling zbrush later, that's sculptris future. - im ok to this point but if sculptris stop to release new features other aplications that are in the development right now will do. Examples Blender and other app that i was looking few days ago i mean that if sculptris stops in time and also do the basic clay modeling and nothing more other apps will be the top of free sculpting and if this happens i am as a hobby guy quiting sculptris and searching for some apps that can make holes or like mixing meshes like mesh mixer type and possible hard surface modelling easier. I saw Blender sculpting mode and sculpting brushes and i was very impressed the community is very active and have ideas heard once a time ago i created a topic called "sculptris wishlist" and i was very happy with the comments result from USERS not from DEVELOPERS and if they want to make it better they start on hearing what us users have to say and give us more attention for ideas and for the forum.
    i see future in sculptris =) its a great tool.

Default Your on the right track ......but......

Much more development won't happen soon for Sculptris. Yes Pixologic wants to make money. I'm a hobbyist as well, I haven't made any money doing this. What I've found is that Sculptris is great to have in your Tool Box, along with Blender, Wings3d, RoadKill, CharacterFX and Fragmotion. You should also have a good Image editor, I like Paint.NET. You should get to know the Wavefront object (.obj) format, almost all 3D-modeling sofware will import and export some form of this. Here's a clue, Sculptris is still an Alpha - meaning unfinished. It exports .obj, but without the accompanying .mtl, so you have to import your textures manually in any other software. It also doesn't seem to use smoothing groups, you may have to play with those. I personally like Sculptris for the Paint Mode. It imports UV's fine as long as your model obeys the import rules, and is the Best Model Painter Period !!! I paint model's built in other software, the "retopo" as some would call it, by gaining control of the Geometry, you can make Material changes when painting, and imitate them somewhat in other software using RGB-materials.

to justdelete, Im going to assume you havent used bodypaint to paint a model. before sculpting programs, bodypaint was already doing it. a number of painting features in various programs. I doubt, were not inspired by it.

as far as sculptris future, unless the creator of sculptris is still working on it. I doubt anyone at zbrush will be. they mined it and placed it in zbrush. which shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. that was the reason they bought it
    Last edited by tyree1; 09-23-11 at 07:18 PM.

ZBrush technology has nothing much to do with sculptris dynamic tessellation.

I don't know about the future of developing sculptris but I found this interesting video
    http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2011/...you-belive-it/
    from farsthary, co-dev of 3dc and blender.

@michalis: So this will be a new 3d coat tool? When I saw the deflate brush I remembered the video of 'freestyle', but the possibility to merge near areas and cut them away is quite cool (given it will also work with a freeform selection).

Well, more and more freedom to creativity, I guess that will be the future: whether sculptris will be part of that future still has to be seen, but I certainly hope so considering I started sculpting with it.
    To be honest, to an auto-retopo tool that I personally don't see as really useful, I would have preferred to have layers as a new function of sculptris (I asked for that in the old Dr. Petter forum when the v.1.0 was released) and the chance to go over its current polygon limit without crashing. It's true that it's thought to be a simple program to make quick doodles, but not having the chance to work efficiently with multiple objects really is a limitation to its potential.

@hi2all
    yeah, have in mind that a kind of fast low poly retopology is useful not for animation only.
    The "quasi" retopo method as I already explained in my thread and elsewhere is enough for adopting the maximum of sculptris to another app-renderer. Not for animation exactly but... please have a look here, a similar approach:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNvIeZmAAY4

Here it's used for animation, not a 100% organic though.
    It can work on hard surf stuff like robots and excellent for static objects.

The autoretopo method of 3dcoat is more interesting though. Because when shrinkwrapping - projecting this 3dc cage will work better. And to mark seams for UVs is easier.

For manual nice retopo, my favorite app these days is blender not 3dc. There're some great tricks hidden there.

A somehow interesting video, the method you described on your thread seemed more efficient but... well, I'm still not using zbrush so I can't say for sure.
    A while ago I used the trial of 3dc just to see how well autopo works, and I must say that it's quite impressive considering how fast it is to have an acceptable cage.
    I still have to try blender's manual retopo tools, it's just that the interface is not really that intuitive...

At last, I managed to download and activate zbr2.
    great work, lot of stuff to learn.
    But what I did first of all is to play with dynamesh.
    The future (and present) of sculptris looks glorious.
    Import your sculptris mesh
    duplicate it
    activate dynamesh having settings at the minimum possible.
    On a head I used the minimum, resulting to a 2-3K quad(with a few tris) mesh.
    Subdivide it as possible and reproject.
    Use UV master

voilĂ .

Ready for exporting, for using it as static model.
    My quasi retopo method, better and faster.

Last edited by michalis; 09-26-11 at 03:22 AM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

So basically the maker of Unlimited Clay for Blender ended up joining 3DCoat and is introducing Live Clay instead. Bummer for the Blender community, yay for people using 3DC. Still, I'd rather see further development of Sculptris like this...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast