ZBrushCentral

YAMH

Yet Another Monster Head

The workflow for this one was a little different than my usual process.

A FLAT polygonal mesh was built in Lightwave. It had no 3D aspects, and was the basic shape of the head. (I didn’t have a completely clear idea of what I wanted) The important aspect was keeping a good layout and flow of the polygons, which can sometimes be easier to do when creating a flat mesh.

This mesh was imported into ZBrush, and given dimention with the sculpting tools. (before exporting from LW, the points were pulled slightly from the 0 X axis, and the other side mirrored to make for a symmetrical object to work on) No dividing was done to keep the mesh low-res.

The mesh was exported from ZB and back into LW, where more point pulling and modeling was done until I liked the shape.

THe UV map layout was created in Lightwave, then the model was exported/imported back into ZB, where texture painting was done with the help of Texture Master.

A grey scale bump map was painted here, as well as the bulk of the color map. Further refinements were done in Photoshop.

The texture maps were loaded back onto the model, and it was rendered in Lightwave.

And on the seventh day you rested.
Great work!!!

First, great to see you back here, Ken the B! :smiley:
Secondly, thanks for the idea, which I had been wondering about for some time…I wondered whether this would work, but hadn’t tried it yet, so this is right on time for this particular 60’s refugee and LW user… :wink:

Thanx for the inspiration, Mi Hermano… :cool:

incredible work!!!

Cool, Ken! Did you change your name to fit your artwork? :smiley: 50.

Nice piece Ken :+1:

Ken the return :cool:
Pilou

Great lighting and texture. Love it! :td:

Gibson :cool:

amazing texturing! really top notch as always! are you using the current version or the beta? either way excellent work!!

artboy

It’s fantastic… :+1:

maybe the background is a bit distracting (done in the similar fashion as textures)
but who knows where this creature is dwelling anyway… :sunglasses:
Great modeling Ken, I admire your work.

Very lifelike and very 3D! I guess it’s a kind
of nice creature, judging the impression on it’s
eyes.

Thanks for coming back!
:+1:

Hey, thanks for the comments.

It’s good to be back, although I feel like I haven’t left since I do check in often at least to look around.

This was not done with the beta; just the good ol’ “old” version.

It’ll sure be nice when we have bump mapping in ZB eh? :slight_smile: Save a lot of trips…

HI Ken,
Wow this really is some hell of a work you have here…I’m very impressed by your design…and amazing skin details and textures…wow!!

He has such realisitc modelling, why don’t you compliment that with some varying spacurality and maybe some subsurface effects…I think this character will really jump out of the screen then.

Well anyways thanks for posting, its a pleasure to view your work.

All the best

Kircho

Nice to see a post from you once again. Nice work, and of course, always inspiring! :+1: :+1:

Excellent excellent amazing excellent!!!

Could i ask a question though Ken? Why don’t you render in ZBrush…any reason for this?

Respect!

I appreciate the observations and comments.

Kircho, I did experiment with some subsurface effects but didn’t care than much for the results. I kept the specularity low, except for around the mouth, nose, because I was going for a very dry type of thick skin, such as in a rhino.

But still, it may benefit from just a little of the features you mentioned, since capturing the elusive quality of flesh is always challanging. Perhaps I’ll expermient some more and post the results.

I rendered this is Lightwave because I wanted to pose the model with bones and create morph targets for varoius facial shapes.

I’m never quite sure of what kind of background to use with “heads floating in space”, when there isn’t a whole body or scene to incorporate them into. Simple is better, hopefully complimentary to the models, but not distracting.

Wicked stuff Ken. Color map, displacement, everything. The skin detail is to die for! :eek: What else is there to say except thank you for an awesome reference/inspirational image. I am dying to take a bite out of 2.0
Awesome!
Rock on!

The good old Ken en the good old Zbrush.
Great texture
:+1: :+1: :+1:

Superb as always Ken,
Love the skin textures and thanks for the modeling tips, I might have to try something like this.
Take care,
Michael