ZBrushCentral

Ready, Set, Render!

Hi:)

I have recently posted several alpha-test images in this thread and was asked to post a breakdown of the steps required to achieve similar renders in Z4R2.

Thanks to the enhancements to BPR, LightCap™ and BPR Filters in Z4R2, you are now able to achieve higher quality renders quite easily (and faster than previously possible). Furthermore, in Z4R2 the rendering engine has been updated to a full 32 bits per channel pipeline; this includes all the shaders and MatCaps. The new MatCaps are now able to process the 96 bits per pixel maps that are generated by LightCap. These maps (diffuse and specular) are composed of 32 bits per channel and are therefore far superior to any 8 bits per channel imported images.

Here are a few quick Z4R2 test renders of imported car mesh…

As can be seen in the movie below, the ‘studio lights’ setup for these renders is quite simple…
<IFRAME height=616 src=“http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/zbrush4r2/tut-13-1024.html” frameBorder=0 width=1034></IFRAME>
To learn how to quickly assign polygroups to a muti-parts imported mesh, see the MERGE SIMILAR movie in here.

00:02 Import model.
00:05 Select MatCap™ Red Wax.
00:07 Set ‘Cavity Transition’ to zero.
00:08 Set ‘Cavity Detection’ to zero.
00:09 Press ‘CopySH’.
00:10 Select material ‘DoubleShade1’.
00:11 Select ‘S2’.
00:12 Press ‘PasteSH’.
00:13 Adjust basic values of Shader 0.
00:18 Selecting Shader 1, the MatCap shader which we are about to create with LightCap.
00:25 Set ‘Render/RenderProperties/Details’ to 3.The above step is important when creating fine LightCap maps, especially when using detailed alpha-based lights. When using simple LightCap lights, a lower value will suffice.
This value represents the size of the maps that ZBrush creates: 1=512x512, 2=1024x1024, 3=2048x2048

00:28 Adding lights to LightCap. Each is assigned a square alpha and with H and V tiling.
00:30 Selecting the “Specular” mode to view the reflections generated by the added lights.You may adjust the MatCap ‘Cavity Transition’ value to allow for more or less specularity.
-1=Diffuse only, 1=Specular Only, other values will produce a blend of the Diffuse and Specular maps (orbs).

01:07 Adjusting Shader 1 Mixer. Pressing ‘Black’.
01:21 Setting ‘Fresnel’ to 95 and “F Exp” to 1.2.
01:23 Setting blend mode to ‘Overlay’.You may want to also experiment with other blend modes.
01:28 Activating ‘Render/Render Properties/Smooth Normals’ and ‘Render/Render Properties/Transparent’. Adjusting “BPR Transparency” values.You need to press the ‘Tool/Display Properties/BPR Transparent’ button for each subtool which you want to be rendered as transparent.
02:00 Adjusting ‘Light/Distance’. This sets the relative distance of the lights which in turn controls the reflections.
02:17 A test BPR render.
02:25 Adjust Matcap shader ‘Depth’ value which controls the reflections.
02:28 Done!

Even though it only takes a few minutes to produce high quality renders, be warned that you may find yourself (as I did) enjoying the accessibility and flexibility of BPR and spending more time tweaking the renders until you achieve the perfect beauty shot.:slight_smile:

Please feel free to share with us your shiny hard-surface Z4R2 beauty renders, and of course any tip or trick that you discover will be appreciated by all:)

-Pixolator

Attachments

render42F.jpg

render42K.jpg

render42I.jpg

render42H.jpg

Beautiful Pixolator!

Wow! Thanks, so exciting to see this post. Fantastic renders, especially considering it is a scanline render.

I still think that if Zbrush were to ever add a real Raytracing renderer on a par with Modo, complete with radiosity, GI, and the whole nine yards, it would be the biggest selling 3d application in history. It would be unstoppable, there’d be no reason to use any other package for most needs (except for animation).

PLEASE think about adding Raytracing!

Woooooooooow that turntable at the end blew my mind. Huhu and I am first to comment. Great job pixolator. I always thought the animation futures in zbrush ware useless,
but with so much rendering power I might have to learn to do some basic animation in zbrush. Go zbrush go

Revolution after revolution.

Its amazing how far this tool has come along.

Its the equivalent of the pencil or written word. Anything that can be imagined can be created and now rendered.

I would love some skin BPR guides.

I have to say that is is so great !!I love where your are going guys !

Most impressive lights, mats, reflex and video … WOW

“THE BUGATTI VEYRON SUPER SPORT CAN DO 0-60 IN 2.5 SEC…WHAAAAAAA!!!”:smiley:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I so want a Bugatti veyron, just to try and max to its top speed.

I guess you chose the fastest production car in the world to show that Zbrush is very fast at rendering, Am I right?

Was that Veyron created in Zbrush?!! Impresive, that must of taken ages. =]

Pooooooh, amazing!!!

sexy

Beautiful render…Thank you zbrush 4r2 :+1:

turned out really nice!

Holy shizzle, that’s gorgeous! Now off to play!

I’ve no need to play videogames… I have Zbrush 4 R2!!..

It’s a fantastic program for work and play!

very cool, you know im just a hobbyist but seeing that car and assuming you built it in zbrush really crushes the car im building. that really floored me I hope I can get that good eventually. nice tute!

What the hell? Deletes 3ds Max Why would you do this to me? LOL just kidding, SUPER job on everything being done. With all of these companies nowdays copying off of one another, it’s really refreshing to see some innovative and fresh new features. It really sets ZBrush in it’s own league. Going to name my first born Pixologic. LOL

this is so great!
thanks to pixologic team for doing such amazing work!

I cant believe it i also have Maya 2012 at Home but watching this rendering and the fast way it is created marks a Donkey text on my Head.Fast interaktiv settings changes in less time with a damn nice result for Illustration and presentation movies.

Im curently modeling a Lamborgini Aventador and want to try this stuff you show here out.

Thank you !!!

It says in the original post that it is an imported mesh, so I’m guessing it wasn’t made in zBrush (just rendered there). :slight_smile:

great vid, thanks… but how did you do the glass?