Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Halloween Challenge 2011: By Dave Wolf

Hey,

I decided to take a shot at this as well. I'm taking an old sketch of mine that I never finished, and trying to make it better in ZBrush. I'm not sure if I'll be 100% finished for Halloween, but I'll try nonetheless.

My only question is: Can there be any post work done in Photoshop as long as the majority of the rendering and everything else is done in ZBrush? There are certain effects that I will nt be able to achieve in Z4R2 quite yet. i.e the wispy vapor and a more controlled glow effect.

You're going to think this is weird, but I had a vision with a character much like this one a few weeks ago... Was the original art of yours inspired in a vision or dream also perhaps?

Can't wait to see where you take the sculpt!
    "Y used to use Greebles like you, until I took an arrow in the Nurnie."

Member Follow User Gallery

You should use whatever it takes to make your images as close to what you have in your minds eye.
    Software, no matter how great and versatile is only secondary to imagination.

Check out the Chestburster AR-Tshirt
    Y
    outube link

Awesome concept mate can't wait to see the result, It kind of reminds me of Jacob Marley from a chirstmas carol, but a lot darker and better version
    Jace
    We are only ever limited by our imagination.

@ Pi(x)el- I think perhaps most of our inspirations come from our dreams and visions, which are reflections of our environment and experiences, so I guess in a way yes.

@ satriowijaya- It's possible that I'm misunderstanding your comment, but I wasn't implying that I will make this better because of ZBrush. It has been over 6 years since I created that original sketch, so I meant that it will be better because I have grown as an artist. I'm simply using ZBrush to take it further than I did back when I first thought of the concept. As a traditional Illustrator with a strong background in drawing, painting, and sculpting I know all too well that whatever media you use is simply a means to your creative end. Please don't read this as defensive, but just clarifying what I meant…. unless I completely misunderstood you, then disregard my comment all together.

@ Jburgs- Thanks man! And that is precisely who it is, so good call! I did this for a project back in school, but never really finished it, so I decided to revive and redo this is 3D. I'm calling this one "Jacob Marley Visits Early" and I will try to incorporate a Halloween theme, even though Ebenezer Scrooge probably wouldn't decorate for the holiday.

Updates to come soon.

I just meant that if I were you I wouldn´t care if I use Photoshop to sweeten the image and make extra elements here and there, or even make a complete paintover. Whatever makes the final image pop.

No dissing your skills, mate. I like this sketch. It has a "Eddie/Iron Maiden" vibe.

Check out the Chestburster AR-Tshirt
    Y
    outube link

@ satriowijaya- Ahhhhhh... gotcha! Yeah, I decided to totally do it, because I'm not doing this just for the contest. Plus they say to make something that you would be proud of, so yes, by any means necessary. And no worries, I didn't think you were dissing anything.

Here's a small update to my character. Not much time to spend on this, but hopefully I can find some over the weekend.

Looking good, like the face texture and the hair
    "Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - Colonel Sanders

Halloween 2011 Challenge The Thing that should not Bee...

Default Small Update

Of course I didn't get much time at all to work this weekend, but I thought I would share nonetheless. Most likely not going to finish in time for this challenge, but I will finish for myself for sure.

Very nice! I hope you follow through I would love to see the finished piece.
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

@shavedmonkey- Thanks!

@chalkman- Thanks, man! I'm working on it the best I can.

Default Last update before deadline

Here's one last look before the final DEADline.

Still much to do so back to it.

The final is really eye-catching. I hope in the end you can add that hand death-gripping the chair. It's a critical element to the story-telling aspect but even without it, this is incredible. I love it and I love how true you stayed to your sketch!
    Chris Carter (aka CgCarter)
    Modeler & Digital Sculptor
    http://www.cgcarter.com | Z4R4 Beta Thread | The Grenadier

Default My Final Entry

This is all I could get done for this challenge, but I definitely am going to finish it for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast