Default Gears of War 3 - Environment Art

Hey Folks,

Below are some renders of Hipoly and Lowpoly pieces I made for Gears of War 3. These are all from the Char set and were the first things I made for Gears3 after moving off of Gears2. I tried to stick pretty closely to the pioneering work that was done by Danny Rodriguez, Josh Jay, Kevin Lanning, Lee Perry and Chris Perna in Gears1.

I also tried to plan things out more in the grid and finalize most of the designs on the grid in Max first to make sure I could get more use out of each piece in the hope they could go round other levels than just the intended one that was depicted in the concept that was made by Shane Pierce. I don't have that here, I'll try to track that down.. . there are a couple of shots at the end of the MP_Overpass level where I thought they came together pretty closely to how I hoped they would.. . and coincidently, that was also the easiest shot on the web for me to find

Last edited by Kevin Johnstone; 10-19-11 at 08:46 PM.

What, only 10 images per post? gah! I'm going to be here longer than I expected!

Last edited by Kevin Johnstone; 10-19-11 at 08:46 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Amazing work Kevin, it is always great to see you post! Congrats on Top Row Gears is awesome!

-Daniel Briggs

www.3dbriggs.com

Here's how some of them looked together ingame

Absolutely awesome man ! I love the game and your art is incredible !

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Kevin, always a pleasure to see the raw work.
    2011 wip thread
    Old wipdump
    sheaspina.com -- 20thVariant.com
    livestream
    Quintessential starving artist
    info@sheaspina.com

Always a fan of your threads. No matter the forum. You have been an inspiration to me for a while now and my goal is to try to make my art reach that level of quality. I always feel like I am one of the few in these forums who posts environment art so I identify a lot with this. I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I noticed that a lot of the time your sculpts are presented as individual modular pieces. Would that work be equally impressive to an employer versus the in-engine, composed level?

My favorite part of the process, and the one I am more proficient at is the Zbrush part. This always makes me feel guilty because I always put so much time into making my hi-poly look their best but then feel I would be looked down upon if I am not a beast at making my low polys. What is your take on that? Also what is your preferred method of retopologizing?

Also, who makes the piles of trash and rubble for you guys at Epic? I wouldn't mind doing it as an intern!

Thanks again.

You are an inspiration! top row!

Could you please share your technique for creating lows of your environment props?
    Game Gen - CEO
    www.gamegen.com

These are all gorgeous and inspirational. I would love to see your workflow.

thanks for sharing kevin!

Wow! Awesome work!

Gears pf War 3 really stepped it up a notch on its already great graphics in the two games before it. Great work on those assets!
    --
    http://www.tobbeo.net/

Member Follow User Gallery

Great Stuff!

Check out the Chestburster AR-Tshirt
    Y
    outube link

Top Row stuff! This is really cool! Thx for sharing!

woah!
    that is so great!
    thank you for posting!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast