1. #46
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    Why not post some of your "gems" for all to see!
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

  2. #47
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    35

    Default

    huge fan of the the game, even bigger fan of the work! It looks astonishing man! Great job!

    P.S - Had NO idea you were the same guy that did Guile! I FREAKING LOVE that model! excellent body of work, great job here too man!
    Last edited by Menty; 10-21-11 at 10:53 AM.

  3. #48
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deim View Post
    The technical achievement of these things is really impressive. Very amazing sculpting. However....

    The designs of these things are just silly, borderline ridiculous. The first guy looks like goth kids that I went to high school with, some of the boss monsters look like japanese anime creatures, and many of the designs have just an overabundance of unnecessary detail that makes no sense and only helps to clutter the mesh into being a giant blob.

    Sorry to be so negative and blunt about it but I'm not interested in kissing up simply because the technical modelling is so amazing. All the technical modelling skills in the world won't save you from a bad design, and I feel that these just suffer horribly from terrible designs.
    Making a statement like that would definately need some kind of backup on your part. One would wonder what your credentials would be for you to make such a bold statement regarding a proffesionals work. As you don't have any images to show of your own work, we can only assume that you are nothing but a troll.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United States
    Age
    45
    Posts
    221

    Default Floor?

    Hi, Great piece. How did you get the floor effect with shadows? Did you do it all in Zbrush?

    THanks.
    http://TrappedInFlesh.com I learn from available resources I can afford.

  5. #50
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zber2 View Post
    Making a statement like that would definately need some kind of backup on your part. One would wonder what your credentials would be for you to make such a bold statement regarding a proffesionals work. As you don't have any images to show of your own work, we can only assume that you are nothing but a troll.
    I know you guys love being nothing but fanboys in these forums but try to relax just a little bit. My post was not a troll post as I did give them total credit for their technical skill. I never said that I was better than they are or that they suck 100%. What I said was that the design of the models was pretty bad, in my opinion.

    Secondly, why do I have to be as good as them in order to say when I think something doesn't look good? I am nowhere near as good as the Epic guys are technically and I love seeing their work to know what is technically achievable by people far more skilled than I. That doesn't mean I can't say that I think something they did looks bad. I would bet that you guys are more than willing to see a musician, an actor, or a famous artist like Da Vinci and critique some of their work, yet I bet you can't sing, act, or paint the way they do. It's no different.

    I am a professional. I work at a video game company as a modeler. I do not need to justify my opinion about what I think looks good or not simply by showing my own work. So I am a "professional", but that doesn't make a bit of difference as to whether or not someone can post their opinion. You're as entitled to your sucking up as I am to my comments that I think the design of these things isn't good.

    This is not a community where we sit around sucking up to each other. It's a community of artists where if we want to critique someone else's work that they've posted we can. There's no test that people need to take to prove how good of an artist they are prior to critiquing someone else's work. So you may not like my opinion since it's not sucking up but I can post it nonetheless. Deal with it.

  6. #51

    Default

    [Deleted by the System]
    Last edited by Pi(x)el; 10-25-11 at 09:38 PM.
    "Y used to use Greebles like you, until I took an arrow in the Nurnie."

  7. #52
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mars
    Age
    29
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deim View Post
    The technical achievement of these things is really impressive. Very amazing sculpting. However....

    The designs of these things are just silly, borderline ridiculous. The first guy looks like goth kids that I went to high school with, some of the boss monsters look like japanese anime creatures, and many of the designs have just an overabundance of unnecessary detail that makes no sense and only helps to clutter the mesh into being a giant blob.

    Sorry to be so negative and blunt about it but I'm not interested in kissing up simply because the technical modelling is so amazing. All the technical modelling skills in the world won't save you from a bad design, and I feel that these just suffer horribly from terrible designs.
    Doesn't look like bad design to me.
    Searching for an answer.

  8. #53

    Default

    Get em Chris!

    Looking awesome man!

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deim View Post
    I know you guys love being nothing but fanboys in these forums but try to relax just a little bit. My post was not a troll post as I did give them total credit for their technical skill. I never said that I was better than they are or that they suck 100%. What I said was that the design of the models was pretty bad, in my opinion.

    Secondly, why do I have to be as good as them in order to say when I think something doesn't look good? I am nowhere near as good as the Epic guys are technically and I love seeing their work to know what is technically achievable by people far more skilled than I. That doesn't mean I can't say that I think something they did looks bad. I would bet that you guys are more than willing to see a musician, an actor, or a famous artist like Da Vinci and critique some of their work, yet I bet you can't sing, act, or paint the way they do. It's no different.

    I am a professional. I work at a video game company as a modeler. I do not need to justify my opinion about what I think looks good or not simply by showing my own work. So I am a "professional", but that doesn't make a bit of difference as to whether or not someone can post their opinion. You're as entitled to your sucking up as I am to my comments that I think the design of these things isn't good.

    This is not a community where we sit around sucking up to each other. It's a community of artists where if we want to critique someone else's work that they've posted we can. There's no test that people need to take to prove how good of an artist they are prior to critiquing someone else's work. So you may not like my opinion since it's not sucking up but I can post it nonetheless. Deal with it.
    Hmmm, I've seen many many paintings, sculpts, character designs, models etc that are overly detailed but lack overall composition. That really doesn't apply here, these have great composition, look at the overall form, the silhouettes, the proportions you can see a lot of thought and planning has gone into each model, they really work!

    I for one am blown away by these models, to me they look awesome, I could look at them for hours and for me, that truly is art!!

  10. #55
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cologne/germany
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    Doesn't look like bad design to me.
    yeah!
    I think they did a great job on design for the gears of war franchise,
    its a really unique look, its totally amazing
    Last edited by gwainbarek; 10-21-11 at 11:28 AM.


  11. #56
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz3r View Post
    Hmmm, I've seen many many paintings, sculpts, character designs, models etc that are overly detailed but lack overall composition. That really doesn't apply here, these have great composition, look at the overall form, the silhouettes, the proportions you can see a lot of thought and planning has gone into each model, they really work!

    I for one am blown away by these models, to me they look awesome, I could look at them for hours and for me, that truly is art!!
    Thank you for being reasonable and allowing me to disagree with you. I completely respect that you think the way you do about them. I do not agree but that's ok.

  12. #57
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mars
    Age
    29
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwainbarek View Post
    yeah!
    I think they did a great job on design for the gears of war franchise,
    its a really unique look, its totally amazing
    They're unique marines, the armors and the guns are very unique.
    The environment is like some futuristic Europe, and that's amazing!
    Searching for an answer.

  13. #58
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Age
    38
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deim View Post
    I know you guys love being nothing but fanboys in these forums but try to relax just a little bit. My post was not a troll post as I did give them total credit for their technical skill. I never said that I was better than they are or that they suck 100%. What I said was that the design of the models was pretty bad, in my opinion.

    Secondly, why do I have to be as good as them in order to say when I think something doesn't look good? I am nowhere near as good as the Epic guys are technically and I love seeing their work to know what is technically achievable by people far more skilled than I. That doesn't mean I can't say that I think something they did looks bad. I would bet that you guys are more than willing to see a musician, an actor, or a famous artist like Da Vinci and critique some of their work, yet I bet you can't sing, act, or paint the way they do. It's no different.

    I am a professional. I work at a video game company as a modeler. I do not need to justify my opinion about what I think looks good or not simply by showing my own work. So I am a "professional", but that doesn't make a bit of difference as to whether or not someone can post their opinion. You're as entitled to your sucking up as I am to my comments that I think the design of these things isn't good.

    This is not a community where we sit around sucking up to each other. It's a community of artists where if we want to critique someone else's work that they've posted we can. There's no test that people need to take to prove how good of an artist they are prior to critiquing someone else's work. So you may not like my opinion since it's not sucking up but I can post it nonetheless. Deal with it.
    There is a difference in critiquing and just being rude. You did not really come out and say I think if this was changed it would look better or I would do this you just said it is a bad design. Yeah you can say that and have your opinion and that is your right. It is also my right to let you know that I think you need to show a little bit of proffesionalism when writing about someones work whether it is my art or anyone elses.
    Last edited by ethanashton; 10-21-11 at 11:47 AM.

  14. #59
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newport, CA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Great work man! Very memorable characters. Congrats on a great release!

    -DBriggs

    www.3dbriggs.com

  15. #60

    Default

    ^ true that!

    the designs work for me! i love the way they look i can easily read them!

    deim- your crit seems weak with all the heavy weighed glory its getting lol

    but your "entitled" to your opinion. have fun!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •