ZBrushCentral

Robin´s Sketchbook, doodles to complete works.

So this is my first post here on ZBC. Been looking around here for a while and im just blown away by the incredible work and talents around here:O
Im studying Computer graphics and animation in Sweden. I have recently started focusing on characters and creatures as i want to become a character/creature artist. Im quite new to zbrush have been working with it for about 2 months now, and im hoping to get some feedback and tips from you guys.
I wont post the things i did the first weeks, cause those things look like a complete mess^^
But this is the first full character i created (the humanoid with hood), im not sure who made the concept as it was given to me as an assignment from my teacher. Same goes for the second, the spider like creature.
The first one i made using zb4, the alien spider was made using zb4 but rendered with zb4r2.

Attachments

Nightstalker2.jpg

alien-spider wip14.jpg

So for my next full sculpt im gonna try and create a chaos marauder from Warhammer. But before i start with that i need to try and learn a little bit more anatomy and learn how to apply it to my sculpts. Here is a 3 hour speed sculpt. Any feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

Untitled-2.jpg

Just a quick skull today, spent around 3-4 hours on this and tried out the r2 render a bit more im really liking it alot:)

Attachments

Skull wip2.jpg

The render of the skull look very nice.

could you share your light and render settings?

thank you
Ox C. I.

Hey ox creative imagery, thanks for your comment. About the render i didnt save any settings and im quite new to it so i was mostly just fooling around with it. I used the lightcap with 3 diffrent lights with settings similar to the image i might have added some color to some of the lights not sure. After that i was just using bpr filters to tune the lights and shadows and adding a little bit of dof. I really was just pushing and pulling everything until it looked ok :stuck_out_tongue: Then i took it to ps to add a vignette adjust contrast and some other minor things.
As for the other image im really trying to learn more anatomy from what i can see the back is some what off not quite sure what it is, i spent around 3 hours on this. Crits is always appreciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

Anatomy2 3 hour.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Just a quick sculpt for today spent around 3-4 hours on this inspired by predator, didnt have time to go as far as to start with the fine details and im not sure im happy enough with it to go into fine detailing.

Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg

Hmm couldnt sleep so i did another quick bust before bed, loosely based on a concept found when i was googling i couldnt find any name of the artsit who made it… :confused:

Attachments

Monster doodle.jpg

Ok so i started working on one of my favorite video game characters the chaos marauder from Warhammer, unfortunately the game wasnt as awesome as this character (in my opinion). I just started with this and will post as i get more done, any input is appreciated.

Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg

Small update on my marauder, have changed his proportions a bit and started working on his helm and beard :slight_smile:
Im having troubles trying to make his beard braided, might try to remake it later on. Any input, feedback, ideas critique, etc is always appriciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

Wip(5).jpg

Hmm quite dead in here. . Ah well ill just keep posting anyway:)
Did some more work on my marauder, none of the subtools are finished yet, im just trying to rough it all out and get things in place before moving on to detailing.
Did a quick render of were i am now with this. Gotta say im loving zbrush more and more for each day, r2 is fantastic!

Wip(7).jpg

I’m really liking this last one. Would love to see you push it further and get it textured and rendered.

I think you’re coming along quite nicely. I recognized your marauder right away and I really like your hooded character. Your work on cloth is great and I really like the rope detail. It looks like you might getting a bit hung up on the feet though. If you are looking for reference, I would highly recommend Michael Hampton’s Figure Drawing: Design and Invention book or Scott Spencer’s Sculpting Human Anatomy. Hampton’s book does a fantastic job of breaking down complex anatomical shapes into simple forms imo. I hope that helps. You’re doing great! Keep at it. :+1:

Thanks for you comment Droma, i will push it further its still quite early wip. Lots of other items to add shoulder pad, vambracers (or whatever they are called), some chains, bird skulls and other things:)

kdshay: Thanks glad to hear is recognizable and thanks for your feedback, i agree i seem to have some issues when it comes to feet, this time im making boots for the marauder so i wont worry to much about it, but i will definitely look up those books:)

Been working a bit more on this now, adding more subtools and small details, there is still alot to do. I would say its about 70% complete, by far the most time consuming sculpt i have done but im having alot of fun doing this one and learning new things all the time:) As always any crit/feedback and comments is always appreciated!

Wip(8).jpg

Long time since i posted anything, have been busy some more boring things at school. I almost finished the marauder, but then i had a severe computer crash and i hadnt backed any of my zbrush works so it was all lost. Here’s an image of were it was. Also an octopus sculpt wich i did a maybe 2 weeks ago, first time trying polypaint, really need to practice that ALOT more :slight_smile:

Marauder1.jpg
Octopus wip11.jpg
octopus1.jpg

Great work on the character and on the octapus!:+1:
Great to have you back Robin and looking forward seeing more artwortk from you mate!
Cheers and happy sculpting,
Kenny:)

KC-Production: Thanks for the kind words Kenny, its much appriciated :slight_smile: I looked through your sketchbook and you got some really impressive work yourself, and i can really see your improvments along the way :slight_smile:

Here is my current wip, its loosley based on a concept by Björn Hurri called Bad Assasin i think. Still got quite a bit to go, but i have almost got all subtools in place now. Im gonna start working on the face after i get the last few subtools in place.

You are more than welcome Robin :slight_smile:
Well i’m not that good, but trying my best but thank you mate!

The new character you are working on looks already awesome mate, can’t wait to see this one done!:+1:
Already very characteristic and totally love the design of him! Are you planning on doing a low poly version of him?

Hopefully you keep us updated on the progress of yours, that would be very interesting mate!
Looking forward to it buddy
Happy sculpting,

• Kenny =)

Ha. I noticed your first image you said you didn’t know who did the concept. That was Björn Hurri too. That man is crazy good. I was considering modeling these two guys too! You beat me too it. The assassin is looking pretty good. If it turns out like the other Björn Hurri concept its going to be awesome when finished.

KC-Production: I think i will make him low poly at some point with textures, but for now i hardly have enough time to finish the high poly sculpt. Im will be helping some fellow students with a game they are making so i need to get started with some other sculpts/characters. But i will post as soon as i have more updates on this character :slight_smile:

Nyx702: Haha, i noticed that as well when i found this other concept of the assasin. Found alot of his artwork, and he really has some very good and inspirational concepts. Looked at your sketchbook, and you have some awesome work, i was really impressed with your face/bust sculpts! I also really liked your latest work of the female mech :slight_smile: