Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Dynamech--Dynamesh Hard Surface.

Mechs are all the rage now in Zb4R2, largely because of the how much more powerful, fast, and usable Dynamesh makes Zbrush's hard surface tools. I was finally able to get back this week to the mech I started when R2 was first released. This is just the first milestone. I thought I'd put up some quick pics of the pristine form before I start detailing, painting, and generally scuffing it up.

This is modeled entirely (and rendered) in Zbrush 4r2. One thing to note, I deliberately didn't use any topological modeling here. This is entirely "hand carved" in Zbrush, making use of Dynamesh at every turn (with the exception of some bits of tubing that I did model on the polygon level). I didn't want to look at any polygons, box model, draw topology, crease any edges, or pull any verts. I just wanted to see if I could make something like this in the most "Zbrushy" fashion I could, shaping pure form, not geometry.

I've got a few different angle renders I'll put up shortly to get a better look at things. If the rest of the project turns out nicely, I'll put up a turntable.

The impact Dynamesh has on Zbrush's modeling and sculpting abilities is really substantial. It's making me open to things I never would have considered before. Next up, detailing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DmechIcon.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	278776  
    Last edited by Spyndel; 10-25-11 at 08:03 AM.

Wow! Nice Work. Any chance you can make a video or some images to break down a best of for your process? Looks cool.

I too have been messing with this. Great work
    Game Gen - CEO
    www.gamegen.com

This piece is terrific!!

I wonder if you ever have the problem I've encountered where I make a "final" model in Dynamesh, but then later decide I "forgotten" something. When I add to the mesh, and then re-dynamesh it, all my hard work (and hard edges) soften slightly.

Thumbs up

Great work! I second the motion for a video with your tips and workflow! Please!
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

Some quick AO renders to get a better look at different angles and highlight the form.

-Scott
    Formerly Known As Bingo Jackson

New Member Follow User Gallery

Very coolio!!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ArtBot View Post
    This piece is terrific!!

I wonder if you ever have the problem I've encountered where I make a "final" model in Dynamesh, but then later decide I "forgotten" something. When I add to the mesh, and then re-dynamesh it, all my hard work (and hard edges) soften slightly.
    turn off the smoothing in dynamesh.

well, dude this is (some) awesome work. the model u got there is nice, u got some skill. so did u re-topology-ize the mesh to fine the model, and how long did it take u , wow.

very cool!!!

Very awesome..and would love to see how it's built!

@pOiNtPuShEr, ArtBot, chalkman, Betamax, nicholasmarks, Mahlikus, Kurt, Polo2011, SolidSnakexxx

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by pOiNtPuShEr View Post
    Wow! Nice Work. Any chance you can make a video or some images to break down a best of for your process? Looks cool.
    When I'm closer to finished, if there's real demand, I'll try to put something together. But I don't think there's any special technique to what I'm doing. 80% of the model is just clipping brushes, Transpose, planar brush for sanding rough edges, and of course, Dynamesh.

Lots of other people are doing the same thing, if you look around. I think if people just noodle around a bit with the HS tools and dynamesh, they'll see the possibilities pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasmarks View Post
    I too have been messing with this.
    I saw that! That's why I figured I had better hurry up and post something while my mech had any novelty value at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtBot View Post
    This piece is terrific!!

Turning on Projection in the Dynamesh menu will preserve detail to the limit of the mesh's polycount. Obviously, a 100k mesh will not hold 5 million polygons worth of detail. If you're past the medium mesh resolution stage and are working on fine surface detail, that's when you should really only be dynameshing situationally, and freezing your high level subdivision details while Dynamesh remeshes your model at low resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Morgan View Post
    so did u re-topology-ize the mesh to fine the model, and how long did it take u , wow.
    Nothing there is derived from the topology tools. I tried to not even look at polygons. Just primitives and globs of clay shaped, cut, and dynameshed.
    Last edited by Spyndel; 10-25-11 at 09:37 AM.
    -Scott
    Formerly Known As Bingo Jackson

Good work! Clicked on your avatar and arrived to see a fine example of ZB's hard surface tools!!

Well done! Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast