ZBrushCentral

Trevor's Sketchbook

Hey folks,

Been out of my ZBrush groove for a while, and it’s time to get back into it. So I thought I’d get a sketchbook going to help keep me focused and motivated. Not that I’m unmotivated at all, more so just easily distracted and busy with work :slight_smile:

Here’s a work in progress - my take on the usual bat demon creature. Definitely inspired by works I’ve seen along the way by artists like Carlos Huante, Scott Spencer, Brian Wynia, and the like. This is basically my “rough in” where I try to determine and layout the overall structure/anatomy etc. The next phase will be refinement, knocking a lot of this stuff back and trying for a more realistic look, while trying to maintain some of the dynamism and vitality of this rough in.

Attachments

Yo Trevor! Good to see some zbrush from ya again. I’m not sure if you’re lookin for crits, but I’m gonna give ya some anyway, because I love you. If I’d change anything about this model, it would be the size of the forms and their distribution. You don’t have many large or small details, almost everything is medium-sized and distributed with regularity. Maybe try smoothing over some to create some large rest areas, and splitting others up into smaller elements for more dense focus spots. Only other crit would be that everything feels very soft. The forms all flow smoothly around the anatomy, you don’t have any angular or “tight” spots, like tendons or spots where the bone is just under the skin.

Hope this helps dude, how’s seattle been?

yo Ferg - thanks for the crits. I agree with everything you said. This is a work in progress, and I’m kind of systematically going through each stage of the sculpting process to practice some things. This is the block out, and I’m in the process of doing just as you said - toning things down, and pulling things back, and trying for a good overall composition. And then eventually refining. Hopefully I’ll have an update sometime soon. As for Seattle - it’s just not the same without you…

So, I’m in the process of getting an updated website/portfolio together, and I thought I’d share some favorite pieces. Here’s a few I did for the game Alan Wake, while I was working at Microsoft -

(the ZBrush model doesn’t have any arms because we had a generic/universal set of arms I added to the low res)

AlanWakeZombieRender.jpg
AlanWakeZombieInGame.jpg

And a few more…

BearHeadInGameWorks02.jpg

Here’s more of a personal piece - A pod racer type vehicle, loosely based off of Doug Chiang’s pod racer concepts. I used ZBrush to model and texture the rocks and environment, as well as to add a scratch and dent pass to the pod racer itself.
Rendered in Maya/Mental Ray, with final illustration created in Photoshop.

PodRacer02.jpg

PodRacerFLAT02.jpg

PodRacer_LowRes02.jpg

I love the podracer render, great composition imho and nice details on the rocks (btw how did u get that?)

Alan Wake was a cool game. Did you texture your models, as well?

That pod racer render is great. I, too, would appreciate more info on how you sculpted the rock details. Cheers!

Hey folks, thanks for the kind words. The rocks were a combination of approaches - just plain alphas, the crumple brush, hand sculpting, masking and inflating, and one of the planar brushes with the Depth Imbed set to a negative amount. This would add cuts and layers deeper into the rock. I can’t remember exactly which brush it was, but that’s for the better anyway, cuz it will force you to experiment :wink: I did see it done in a Ryan Kingslein rock sculpting video somewhere along the way, if that helps.
And yeah, I did the textures, modeling and design on the Alan Wake models.

For today’s post, I finally got around to finishing the demon head bust sculpt I started this thread with. I’d like to texture it at some point, but I’m gonna wait cuz I’m taking Bryan Wynia’s Creature Sculpting class next month, and I’m sure I’ll learn a few things that would help me out in that department.
Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome.

Awesome! … I love all your work but the Pod Racer really does it for me! :lol: Cheers, David

Hey, thanks Chalkman.

Here’s a character I did for Snowblind Sudio’s LOTR: War In The North. Affectionately known as the “Cave Slave”.

Great sculpts!
Love the pod racer! :+1:

asecbrush - thanks for the kind words and stopping by.

Here’s an evening “speed” sculpt I just did as part of Bryan Wynia’s super cool creature design & sculpting workshop. Took 4 hours, if you consider that speedy :slight_smile: Some sort of sea going creature. Came out kinda cool so I thought I would post it.

Marmoset rockssss!!! yehaa !!
I would like more specular in render, but this is fantastic !

you gotta be kidding me, really mindblowing sketchbook trevor!:+1:
Really love your sculpts and love the high amount of detail on the character you did for the LotR!
Uhlala and the last speed sculpt is awesome, totally love the design of the sea creature! Hope you finish this on and make a whole model !
Looking forward seeing more from you,
Cheers and happy sculpting.

• Kenny =)

pishensho - Yeah, Marmoset does rock. I’m still just getting up to speed on it, so my renders probably aren’t as good as they could be. Particularly in the spec department. I am working on it though… Maybe add a little more cow bell too while I’m at it :wink:
KC-Production - Thanks for the kind words man. I’ve checked out your sketchbook as well along the way. Looks like your a student, getting the wheels in motion to get into the industry? If so, you are well on your way to being successful. Keep it up.

Nice sculpts, i really like the bear and the cave slave is awesome :slight_smile: Hoping to see some more soon!

Thanks Xerotin. The bear and the Cave Slave are my favorites as well.

Here’s another evening sculpt/design exploration as per Wynia’s class instruction. I left out any real details etc, keeping it as a bit of a blank canvas, so I could explore those things more in the paintover phase…

SPeedy04b.jpg

Thank you so much for the feedback buddy!:):+1: I hope to get a chance to be a part in the gaming industry, definently trying and I’m very motivated and really inspired by artworks and that is my goal to do something like that too someday =)

Now to your amazing creature sculpt, I am totally digging the style, great creature design, really nice one! Looks like an alien combined with a worm or something great!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Looking forward seeing more from you definenetly a big inspiration mate,

Happy sculpting,

• Kenny:)

Some interesting sculpts!

Great !!!