ZBrushCentral

SD "Super Deformed" Sketchbot

I’m finally getting around to posting the final results of my SD Sketchbot, thanks to a few of the new features in R2 that made it relatively easy to achieve.

My sketches of the character had been taking on a more stylized approach and I wanted to change up the volumes for a new project that I would be unveiling at this year’s Designer Con.

In anticipation of Dynamesh, I prepared my original geometry a few days before the new release came out and was able to export a 3d-printable piece in just a few short hours. I knew instantly that Dynamesh was what I wanted to use to fuse the geometry, along with the new shell command to hollow out the geo for a metal-infused test piece via Shapeways. I also employed two simple alpha brushes for drawing out the eye and chest logo.

The pieces for Designer Con were cast in a high-gloss, translucent acrylic by the talented folks at Pretty in Plastic. A solid version was run through Decimation Master, then output via the 3d-print exporter and printed on a ProJet 3d printer. This piece was used to create a mold and cast a resin prototype that be further smoothed and cleaned up, then a new mold was made from this master. 5 sets of 6 colourways (to match the palette of the original six vinyl Sketchbot editions) were cast and cleaned up over the course of a week. The pieces were my best sellers at the show.

I plan continuing with this form-factor using various new casting materials beginning next year. Huge thanks to Pixologic for enabling me to crank this geo out with very minimal fuss!

Attachments

IMG_3417.jpg

groupShot.jpg

maya_comparison.jpg

sb_chrome_final.jpg

sb_ZBrush_FINAL.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

Nice work man. How much was a run of 6 or did you get 50 made? The translucent material is so cool. Could you post some more info of the production. cheers

Great stuff Steve.

Thanks! I only ran 30 pieces (5 sets X 6 colours) for this particular event. This initial run was a bit expensive because I needed to have the 3d print molded, cast and further smoothed before creating the master mold. I sold the pieces for $60 each and have 12 left - one complete set for myself, and the remainder will go on my online store once I get it up and running.

The production was pretty straight forward - cast in clear acrylic, mold seams cleaned and buffed, then a high-gloss finish applied last. I would like to try doing chrome-plating next, and eventually look into getting some solid bronze pieces cast.

Thanks Scott! How’s it going back in Bklyn? I miss Dumbo, but am enjoying the weather here in LA.

Hey Steve,

nice to see the new version of the sketchbot! Love the chunkie kinda style!
2 blanks are on the way to me to germany and are ready for beeing customized…couldn’t make it to NYCC this year but hopefully will meet you again next year!

Very cute design! That translucent material makes them look like candy…I almost want to taste one.

Those are wonderful and very fun!
They also have given me an idea of what I might expect if I try printing stuff, which I hope to do soon if I can actually sit down and make something worth printing.

Thanks and cheers!
Mealea

@sketchguy:

How long ago did you leave Brooklyn? I gave up my studio in Dumbo about four years ago, my last space was at 55 Washington street. I am still in Brooklyn (Carroll Gardens) but have no pressing need any more for a studio. Cheers, David :smiley: The Stetchbots are cool!