Default Michael Dunnam's Sketchbook

I have finally decided to start a sketchbook. So to kick it off, I will start with my current WIP that I am basing off of the Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai. This is not meant to be an exact replication. I am taking different aspects of the garden to make a scene.

The door will be inset into a wall much like the photo here.

Next after the door I intend on adding the dragon to the top of the wall, which is not on this wall irl, but on the other side of the garden.

Hope you enjoy! More to come
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on the wall lately. But here is my progress thus far.

Any comments and/or critiques are welcome.

Thanks,
    Michael
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Default Looking good so far

Michael Looks Good so far keep up the good work.
    Id like to see how the dragon gets detailed out.
    Last edited by GarryLewis; 01-25-12 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling error "how"

Default Looks Good!

I love the intricate design work! I can't wait to see this textured.

Default Noob

Hi, I am an absolute noob to Zbrush and try to learn some detailing workflows. How did you do the signs and miniatures on the door? Did you use stencils?
    Pleeeease let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Le Cachetier View Post
    Hi, I am an absolute noob to Zbrush and try to learn some detailing workflows. How did you do the signs and miniatures on the door? Did you use stencils?
    Pleeeease let me know
    I created the Chinese symbols on the wall by taking the reference image, tracing it in illustrator and creating a stencil for it. The reliefs on the door took a little more finess. I didn't get as much detail as I would have liked. I took the reference imagery, turned it grayscale and painted over it to create a bump map, then used that as a stencil.