ZBrushCentral

Michael Dunnam's Sketchbook

I have finally decided to start a sketchbook. So to kick it off, I will start with my current WIP that I am basing off of the Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai. This is not meant to be an exact replication. I am taking different aspects of the garden to make a scene.

The door will be inset into a wall much like the photo here.

Next after the door I intend on adding the dragon to the top of the wall, which is not on this wall irl, but on the other side of the garden.

Hope you enjoy! :slight_smile: More to come

Attachments

gate6.jpg

yuyuan_ref.jpg

I haven’t had as much time as I would have liked to work on the wall lately. But here is my progress thus far.

Any comments and/or critiques are welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Looks Good so far keep up the good work.
Id like to see how the dragon gets detailed out.

I love the intricate design work! I can’t wait to see this textured.

Hi, I am an absolute noob to Zbrush and try to learn some detailing workflows. How did you do the signs and miniatures on the door? Did you use stencils?
Pleeeease let me know :rolleyes:

I created the Chinese symbols on the wall by taking the reference image, tracing it in illustrator and creating a stencil for it. The reliefs on the door took a little more finess. I didn’t get as much detail as I would have liked. I took the reference imagery, turned it grayscale and painted over it to create a bump map, then used that as a stencil.