Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Let me say this

I have been fortunate enough to work in the video game industry for over 15 years. I was also the person to bring ZBrush into our studio so that we could complete Captain America for the PS3 and 360.

Without a doubt ZBrush is the greatest 3D software solution ever to grace the film, prototype and video game industry.

I am blown away with Pixologic's push to always innovate and provide innovate solutions.

Yes, the interface can seem daunting and new features often seem to be layered hidden within existing menus but once you learn how to navigate effectively and practice with the brushes the results are outstanding.

I strongly believe that ZBrush is the only piece of 3D Software that lets an artist work like a true artist. Maya, Max and other solutions are requiring artists to be too technically inclined and are sapping the creative juices out of all of us.

Hip, Hip, Hurray to Pixologic.

I love this company. Please do not sell out to Autodesk, EVER!

The hair solution looks like fun. I only hope there is an effective way to cut, trim and lengthen particular areas.

Happy New Year everyone.

I sold my Mac license last year but for sure I will be buying a personal PC license this year.

Happy new Year!

I havent read every single post of what now sounds like a heated argument...i think this tool is very welcome regardless of how it is used...what many artists fail to see (and foresee) is that every single tool in the "traditional" pipeline came from a lot of experimentation and implementation of ideas from very different scientific and artistic backgrounds.This resulted in a very rich yet sometimes inconsistent pipelines that naturally abandoned some technologies to the advantage of others sometimes even just based on political choices and industrial choices that good or bad needed to be taken at the time...

All this to say that there is not such thing as the way things should be done or the way a "professional pipeline" works...im my many years of studio work i have often seen the laws of yesteryear being ignored some years later and some tools dissapear to later reappear.I have even seen tools for good or for bad been used out of their intended context.

The main attitude that a creative person should have IMHO is to be openminded and think out of the box...i have read many posts in the past here regarding the way Zbrush should behave just to be blown away by an approach we didnt even see coming.
    A simple example of this is (and im not the only one that was pointing this out at the time) the concept of resolution and topology free sculpting...back then, not so long ago, many heated reaplies saying that what we needed was a retopotool rather than this were totally missing the point.
    Even if we are not developpers and since we artists are the end users of these tools we should invest a certain ammount of our time researching and testing tools with radically different approaches to our routine tools in the name of diversity and to stay on top of our games...surely our jobs dont stop at doing what we are told by unless you want to paint yourself on a corner...this can be the choice of some but not mine...stay sharp!

Without being a software engineer it will only take the educated artist a bit of research to realize that mesh free scultpting for example existed already for many many years (just like many other shape creation paradigms that are often overlooked btw) yet many artist were focused on the small things...its a serious case of "when the wise man points at the sun the idiot stares at the finger" situation.

I personally dont use hair tools that much and i probably would make a better use of retopotools any day yet i still welcome this addition because this tool might lead to something even more exciting later, where a retopotool will be more of what i can already do in lots of other sofware already and all in all not very exciting at all from a creative point of view.

Zbrush is a unique tool because Pixo tries to be more experimental and by doing this puts most of its developpment ressources in making a more constraints free tool.They are not the only company with this approach but they definetely deserve some attention for this attitude and hope this will be their core difference for many years to come.

it wouldnt make any sort of sense to start developpment of the next version of Zbrush thinking of what pipelines of today (most of them based on 20 years old paradigms and workflows) need but rather show the way of the future.These are interesting times for visual artists because of major breakthroughs in several fields of visual arts from image capture systems (new photography paradigms etc) to post production and FX tools.

Leaving behind a tool like retopology, which is btw a very low tech thing to develop since a retopo tool is no more than a polymodelling toolset with some snapping constraints, is IMHO a choice and a necessity to free ressources and hit where it really counts...being able to develop the awesome tool that Zbrush is today.

You dont make the future with ideas of the past...
    (which is actually a bit extreme since there is nothing wrong about revisiting some old ideas in a new context)

Gasoil,

Here here! Well said. One never knows when yesterday's mistake will become tomorrow's miracle. Yes, it is important to keep one's eyes open and an ear to the ground. Always wanting and needing to learn more is the only way to exceed your own expectations.

New Member Follow User Gallery

My apologies for trolling “Scott M C4D”. I was just letting off steam and didn’t really except a reaction. Posting, after drinking with the in-laws, never helps anyone. I hope this better expresses my thoughts on the subject:

For many years I’ve developed custom solutions for a large business software vendor. The biggest strengths of this software is that is spans many industries and it is extremely malleable, meaning there is “X” ways to do the same thing. In my opinion, these are some of the greatest strengths of Zbrush as well. Since the uses of ZBrush are so diverse, the “These features are cute, but what about my needs” posts have always irritated me. Every release announcement, you can count on a couple of these posts. Perhaps it is petty of me, maybe I am a “Fanboy” after all, but it is hard not to defend the best software investment I’ve ever made.

I know my art still sucks. I’ve never understood Pixologic’s business model. I haven’t even had time to try out the latest release, but the “possibility” always draws me to ZBrushCentral. Since I am not a professional, maybe I am naïve, but it seems to me that Pixologic is doing something innovative, special and a bit rebellious. That is enough for me.

Thumbs up L-system

Did anyone mention L-system Yet? Oh JOY! I have no doubts that TopoMaster or whatever it will be call will eventually show up. But WOW this has been a long time coming.
    I thought it was just a real-time fur shader until I saw the plants! This looks like a Maya paint effect system without the huge interface.
    Oh man I can't wait to unleash this on my my New Rig with SSDs!
    ZBrush - Narrowing the gap between Imagination and Manifestation DeviantART

Quote Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
    Good for you. When I was 9 years old I haven't got camera to make a photo of my toys. Pardon me - PROTOTYPES.

You graduated just like thousands of others worldwide? Bravo!

These are great artists - not those waving with degrees and talking ****.
    Sheesh, he hardly sounded as if he was boasting. He was obviously trying to defend himself against a rather aggressive, not to mention condescending, Zbrush fan and it's hard to blame him for that. Differing opinions are great and everyone is entitled to theirs, exactly as it should be. Do we really need all that negative attitude behind it though? FiberMesh will be useful for some artists, and not so much for others. That is an undeniable fact. Whether one is happy with the status quo or not, Pixologic will always do what Pixologic wants to do, ultimately making all arguments pointless in the end.

Guys, Scott M C4D is just voicing his opinion just like everybody here does, the least thing you can do is respect it.

How useful the fibermesh will be will be clear after using it...the cool thing is that pixologic is giving it again to the artists for exactly nothing.

Cheer up
    Last edited by Lucky_1; 01-02-12 at 04:24 AM.

IMPRESSIVE!!!! Happy New Year to everyone and thanks to the Pixologic team

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicus View Post
    Sheesh, he hardly sounded as if he was boasting. He was obviously trying to defend himself against a rather aggressive, not to mention condescending, Zbrush fan and it's hard to blame him for that.
    Eh... I don't know why people consider sarcasm as "aggression". Jeez - if one have some arguments then should bring them in into discussion, prove me wrong, open my eyes to the real thing, let me understand. And if hes wrong then admit it. Simple thing. Aggression? Come on, whats next - you gonna sue me for "verbal abuse"?
    I guess that's just me. I wasn't raised in that soft, politically correct spirit of assertiveness. When we were thinking somebody is wrong we just said "Bulls...." instead of "my of my, you may be right but forgive me that I have a bit different point of view on that subject". No one felt offended - we used arguments to convince each other instead of trying to make somebody guilty and posing a victim of attack. If I would have to deal with 5 years old I would try that approach but looks like we are bit older here. Anyways, I hope no one got hurt and wasn't in need of professional help after my vicious display of aggressiveness *Yawn*
    Differing opinions are great and everyone is entitled to theirs, exactly as it should be. Do we really need all that negative attitude behind it though?
    Black is black, white is white. Its not matter of opinion. I tried to post reasons why I think comparing ZB hair system to others doesn't make sense. I haven't heard much arguments back - just some "ow I agree with him, or him. I wish that could be... blablabla." I only wish we could stay on subject of software instead of some analysis of eachother emotions and motives with a bit of wishfull thinking...

That is an undeniable fact. Whether one is happy with the status quo or not, Pixologic will always do what Pixologic wants to do, ultimately making all arguments pointless in the end.
    Haha! Now I completely agree with that Those guys just do what they want to do - love their attitude. Others pretend to listen to their userbase and still make it hard to be excited about their updates. Pixologic seems like is not listening users at all and is delivering most exciting updates in industry

Keep it up Pixologic - it may be harsh on somebody's feelings and perhaps lead to temporal nervous breakdown but I don't give a good goddamn about C4D, Max, Maya hair systems as they are completely different type of animal Sue me. I just wonder where you guys go with FiberMesh.
    Last edited by nezumi; 01-02-12 at 09:47 AM.

I recently spent a number of months working for a digital effects company called "Studio Liddell" who predominantly use 3DSMax for both modelling and animation. It took me a while to integrate myself (as a zbrush artist) into the existing pipeline as for many traditional CGI, Zbrush appears to cut corners through simplifying existing workflows. New features like fibremesh will simply enhance the creative process especially at the pre vis stage.

I too read ScottM C4D's comments as being hypercritical and I was wrong as he does raise some valid points that Im sure will be addressed and resolved and embraced by other main stream software packages. What I have witnessed through working with others who use less instinctive software is that most do indeed bend and adapt to embrace the wonderfully creative and inspired software updates from Pixologic. I sense that Pixologic have never ever set out to replace existing sophisticated workflows...they just make the most complex of existing processes accessible to less than technically minded artists (Thats me folks).

Great feature!! Cant wait, thanks Pixologic!!

Thats how you do it !
    Great job, Pixologic !

Member Follow User Gallery

Default OMG, its a bless

when I used dynamesh to preview the hair of my character i was so impressed, but now looks that it would be more easy with this new tool, i dreamed with a tool like this.
    now i dont need to go out of zbrush to preview a model

Thankyou to those who addressed me and could eventually see the points and perspective that I was coming from, in my earlier messages, and particularly those who came to eloquently point that out to people i.e Caver, Zeddicus, Lucky_1 and those who also gave a deep insight into how different methods and systems to hair generation exist and are used from the perspective of a sculpting artist and a conventional mathematical 3D artist. It's really quite interesting to see a different slant from a traditional modeller/sculptor.

Some of you here have mentioned in your posts that you do use C4D so I thought it would be worth posting this high quality video from grayscale gorrilla on using the Hair in it. It highlights many of the things which I listed previously http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/201...-in-cinema-4d/

Maybe, the creators of Zbrush will enhance it's Hair tool set, after watching...taking idea's and innovating a similar approach as well as features.
    Last edited by Scott M C4D; 01-03-12 at 12:42 AM.

I got that same feelin when I first saw that ugly fish movie (which I came across when searching for tuts on how to make teeth in Max lol not for more programs mind you) and saw what zbrush had to offer chills up the spine, tears and an absolute desire to have this program. Bought it and have never regretted it ever.

I know programs don't just pop out working perfectly neither do we humans lol. I had paid over $6000 for 3ds Max and regretted it big time (sorry) but everywhere I looked were bugs, no fixes and when they did fix somethings they charged an extra $1000+ for the next version and there were new problems, left over problems, and not much to show for it. I don't even want to talk about the hair modifiers made me pull my own hair out lol. I use max little less by little less each update to zbrush and wish I could get my money back. It is also not the only one I kinda regret or barley use save for photoshop and even there I wish I could just use ZB.

The poor souls in my life have had to hear all about this prob with max and also non stop talking/swearing by pixologic/zbrush and some people don't have anything to do with graphic arts lol.

I have also always said zbrush has something that will change the way we make art/3d in films and other things and will blow a lot of the competition in graphic art software out of the water and I was right, all of a sudden so many films, games and other things were able to make really cool looks for all their characters and environments. I also said if they get animated, hair, and a great renderer things will never be the same in graphic arts.

Now pixo got hair as well as the other things and I humbly thank you for it. I have also loved learning zbrush more than most because of all the great people who make zbrush and it's users that make such great tutorials for me to learn from so thank you all.

Just be patent some of you, we haven't even looked at it really yet and don't really know what it is capable of. This movie was just a quickie taste to let us see what we are getting when we do get it then ask for more features, fixes, and stuff like that and report bugs so they can. Some or most bugs I am sure will be fixed for this patch (they called it a patch with updates/extra goodies lol not an update so to speak) just remember some things are bound to go wrong and some may still be there but I trust pixo above any software company to work at it till they can get it fixed. Every program I have ever tried or bought has had problems at first, zb is no different in that regard there is no way to stop that but pixo always tries to fix it more than I can say about most of the other companies and they don't charge for it not even the new stuff they add in.

Also it makes it into polys so I think (hope either now or later) that we will be able to use all brushes (like the splice, cut, trimming brushes or what not to cut hair to length) or to make poly's and then remask to make longer/shorter/fuzzier hair. It has to be in an infant form so pixo can make it right fix any problems, or whatever. He does use the move brush I wonder if you can smooth maybe if it is polys.

Also would like to say thank you for this great preview movie like I said it was like first finding out what zb can do especially that plant effect at the end. I know I soon will be able to do most if not everything in my head and never have to leave the program thank you.

Happy New Year everyone I know this will be a great one after seeing all you all come up with after getting the new zb!

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171824 ... LastLast