Default Laocoön and his sons

Hey everyone!!

Here is another version of mine for the wonderful sculpture know as laocoön and his sons. I've made a drawing of this statue before, and now I'm working on the 3D version of it... and here is the first WIP post about it! Hope you like it!

http://youtu.be/HnL5v_dKtZY

comments, critiques and opinions are always welcome!!
    See you on the dark side of the moon

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Great Start to your study of this wonderful sculpture. ..Really looking forward to seeing the progress on it in here..
    Glenn
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 01-25-12 at 07:20 AM.

You're doing a copy of the copy: in the original, the father's right arm extends straight above his head.

It's a great start. How naturalistic do you want it to be? Are you trying for a more angular rendering than your source? I notice this especially in the hands and feet.

great sculpt can't wait to see it finished

Thanks guys!! and about the copy/version stuff, the one I'm using as reference is really the original Greek one, which is exposed at the Vatican museum nowadays. The one with the arm straight above his head was made by Michelangelo when there was no right arm on the original... This statue was found in five pieces, after been considered lost for more than 1400 years and the right arm was missing. The arm was found later, centuries after Michelangelo did his version. There's even a story that the greatest artists at the time did a great debate about how the missing arm would be and Michelangelo was the only one who thought it was flexed behind his head because of the shape of the shoulder muscles, but he lost the debate and did his version with the arm straight pointing up, which would look more "heroic" in the other artists' opinion. But now we know that Michelangelo was right after all...

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

good roughing out of the pose. like how you captured the main lines... i am looking forward to see how you will proceed
    my fun with zbrush thread, my homepage riolama, and my zbrush blog

Really nice! I love this sculpture and I really like the way you've sculpted the muscles in the legs.
    Available for contracts and commissions - PM me!

Content for Mature Audiences only. Click to view

Mature Audiences

Just a small update this time... I changed the abdominal area and started modeling the boys

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Hi, here I am to test a cool real time visualization tool (I hope it works here...)

My blog
    My YouTube Channel