ZBrushCentral

du Rose Gallery

Hi All,

Long time unregistered lurker, first time poster. I’m a jeweller using ZBrush and this is my first collection all done using Zbrush & CAD. The collection is called ‘Danger’ and based around different beautiful and dangerous animals which also represent a danger we my experience in life. It’s all made from Different coloured golds, diamonds, sapphires, rubies etc. You can read more about it should you so desire on my website: www.durosefinejewellery.com

These are all photos of the finished articles, I’ll try and up some ZBrush screens in due course too along with maybe some less pro pictures which show more angles of a couple of the more difficult to read images. I hope you like it!

lion.jpgsnakes.jpgblack widow.jpgjellyfish.jpgmoth.jpgoctopus.jpgfrog.jpgkey.jpgwasp.jpg

1 Like

I saw the collection the last year . for me is inspiring work and talent, like your work with Damien Hirst. Amazing work Jack. Like jeweler this type of work make me work hard… Please can you explain something of your process?.
Thanks

Amazing works…

I can just concur with chaman, fantastic work! Is this all made in zbrush? Would be great to see sculpts aswell mate
Cheers to you and happy sculpting,

• Kenny:)

I concur … amazing work!

It would be nice to see the sculpts and get an idea of your workflow! Cheers, David :smiley:

As promised, please find attached some screen grabs and WIPs from the finished pieces shown above. Sorry they aren’t nicer images, they are very much for internal use only so please be gentle! Hope you like anyway.octopus views.jpgOctopus 1.jpgOctopus 2.jpgFrog ring.jpgsnakehead.jpgsnakes lighter.jpegnecklace complete no ants.jpgscorp key with bale amend.jpgMoth Brooch colour amend.jpg

Attachments

Frog ring.jpg

necklace complete no ants.jpg

scorp key with bale amend.jpg

octopus views.jpg

Ah glad to hear you saw it - where did you see it may I ask?

The process is basically concept design and drawing, then into 3D for sculpting and/or Modo, then rapid prototyping for design verification, amendments - rinse and repeat until we’re happy, then into CAD to do some more technical work - getting section thicknesses exactly correct, laying out of stones etc, then rapid prototyping, casting and into the manufacturing process of goldsmithing and setting.

It’s quite a long and arduous process which is a lot more difficult and technical (read boring) than on the rare occasion I am able to do something which can just exist in the digital realm.

Working on the Damien Hirst skull was great, but that was well before I got into ZBrush - that was all CAD. I wish I had known ZBrush at the time as that was very hard to do and zbrush would have made it much easier!

Hi! Jack:
i saw it in the web, no attendance. I don´t live in London. In concrete :http://adorngirl.com/tag/jack-du-rose-danger-jewellery-collection/ and in the Vogue Magazine.
Jack , sorry for ask but, How you get the exact proportion in your pieces? Made a hand carver wax and check the dimensions or finish the model in zbrush and go to Rhinoceros/matrix/etc… to check it and Rp? .
If you could answer i´d appreciate it.
thanks very much for the new thread.

sorry for the question , before i can´t see the entire message only .

EDIT

Hi Jack Du Rose
finally made your appearance on zbrush forums. its an honor to meet another zbrush jeweller of such caliber. The collection is astounding and i wish i had the opportunity to see it in real life. i look forward to seeing more of your work on the forums as your partly the reason Im now doing jewellery with zbrush. If you ever need anything feel free to drop us an email or IM

M

Morgan I think you get confused. The author of the marvellous pieces is Jack du Rose, maybe in 4900 years could put something like this in the forum. the frog under the petal is amazing …

>.< derp edited

Holy smokes! Nice work indeed! I love all things Octopi. Great design sense. It is extremely difficult to balance elaborate motifs, and you, sir, have that firmly under control. Top row for me.:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Hi again, here’s some more WIP pictures, this time of the manufacture of a couple of pieces giving you a few more views. I’ll up some pics of the exhibition in due course too.img1831o.jpgimg1849d.jpgimg1850z.jpgimg1842ta.jpgimg1844o.jpgimg1845l.jpg

simply incredable :+1:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

>_> i dont supose i could ask you to critique my work
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?135212-Mouse-Jeweller-s-Work-Bench

it would be an honnor to have your opinions :smiley:

Sure! :slight_smile: Let me see…

OK, nice stuff! :slight_smile: Critique is quite a detailed thing, BUT on a sculpting front I’d say you’re definitely going in the right direction and just keep keeping on, you’ll keep improving. For leaves and things like that, I always like to draft the backs of them inwards to give a feeling of lightness and delicacy. If you just make the sides flat they can look a bit artificial which slightly undermines the other good work you are doing.

Are you using solidscape rapid prototyping? You might make your life easier and cheaper by printing on envisiontec. It has a much smoother finish without losing detail. Mark@Rapid Models in Birmingham can help you there. www.rapidmodels.co.uk.

When it comes to hollowing models, personally I prefer a more consistent and technically correct method of hollowing than just sculpting. I would therefore recommend hollowing/offsetting surfaces instead using a polymodeller, CAD or STL editor. This will mean you have a sensible thickness for setting 1.2mm approx depending on Pavé stone size.

From a design perspective, which is of course purely subjective, for things like your animal rings, I would consider doing something different with the shanks than sort of draping a nicely sculpted head over a standard D-section ring. If you really want to use a D section shank, I’d consider adjusting the proportions slightly.

Finally is on finishing, it’s a difficult business trying to get things finished well - especially in the UK, but a little more time and care in prepping the master goes a long way to big improvements in the finished article. I don’t work at the bench myself, but where a really excellent goldsmith can make your work shine, a not so excellent one has the opposite effect.

Hope that helps!

thank you for the crit, and thank you for the prototyping contact as i alwase need more. Definatly Top row:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

A pleasure :slight_smile: