ZBrushCentral

Cardinal de Richelieu portrait

Hi all,

I started this project some time ago but then dropped it as I had other priorities. It was started as a cloth study but recently I decided to pick it up again and recreate the whole portrait. The original portrait was painted by Philippe de Champaigne in the 17th century.
I tried to preserve some of the feeling you get when looking at the painting without going for photo realism.

I hope you like it :slight_smile:

C&C are welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Ogy

Attachments

cardinalmainscene.jpg

cardinal01.jpg

cardinal02.jpg

cardinal03.jpg

cardinal_chair01.jpg

cardinal_chair02.jpg

cardinal_chair03.jpg

cardinal_wireframe.jpg

Everything is outstanding, but in specifc the detail work on the lace and chair are amazing.

Really like the paint feel of the whole piece. What did you render the scene with?

mad

Thank you, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile: I used Mental ray for rendering.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I used Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop and Mental ray.

Your work is very well done,

The fabrics are exceptional as well as the chair, the carpet, and the purposely simplified look in the outdoor background element that makes it all very painterly but with something added.

Thanks for sharing,

Thank you Willt :slight_smile:

If audible gasps coming from my mouth are any indication of the quality of your work, then yours is the most stunning 3d work I have ever seen. Seriously beyond even being called “professional” I could see this hanging in a museum alongside the great masters.

Wow, thank you for you kind words Voodoodad!

that took a long time and is awesome good work :+1:

Speechless…amazing and outstanding detailwork!

Great great work ! It is the exact painting, amazing model !
But the “cardinal Richelieu” is in red, not in pink, I think your color has too much desaturation.

Very nice indeed! Beautiful detail, but I agree with Langelot, the color did strike me as a little pale. Still, a masterpiece. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Wonderful work! Just lovely! I especially love the brocade and lace work! Bravo! Top Row! Cheers, David :smiley:

Beautiful work.

It almost looks like a painting and not a 3d image. I say that as a positive thing.

You are definitely a ZbrushMaster

Keep up the great work.

Paul.

Wow, thank you guys! Your words are really flattering!

I agree with you about the colour remarks that you made and I might have to revisit that. It’s an easy fix though :slight_smile:

Cheers

Nice work. The modelling and attention to detail are fantastic but for me the final image does not work so well I’m afraid. Because you have changed the lighting and lost the deep shadows, the values and composition have changed. Without the negative space behind him, Richelieu no longer seems the main focus but feels like he is falling off to the left following his hand. The detail in the curtain top right is also drawing attention away (in the original, this and other aspects of the background are painted relatively loosely compared to Richelieu).

I know you started this as a modelling exercise, which you accomplished with aplomb, but if you like you could now also turn it into a study of how lighting and values affect composition.

Thank you Bonecradle! That was very constructive and it is definitely something I shall work on :slight_smile:

I have not seen the original painting so I don’t know if this is how it was painted or not - but when you look at the size of the head compared to the body - the body seems too tall. It looks a lot taller than the standard eight heads high. He looks like he is standing on a stool or something.

But as a study on cloth textures etc. I think it is great!

wow fantastic work!! Stunning… Impressive no more words :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thank you guys! :slight_smile:

@LD I tried to be accurate with the proportions and stick to the reference at the same time but you might be right. Cheers.

Real nice work!:+1: