Default A Demon, A challenge

Hey everyone!!

I opened this thread to show you guys the WIP images of a model I'm working on for CGHub's production challenge 2012. This model is based on Adrian Smith's wonderful artwork and I have to say I've been learning a lot doing this!! and here are the images!

So, once again, I'd like to hear from you guys! your opinion is very valuable! I'll keep posting more WIP images....
    See you on the dark side of the moon

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Cool work on the production challenge, the model is looking good mate!
    Definenly you can see the concept of it, one thing though I would rethink the area where the second arms intersect, as a reference look at that one guy or woman from Mortal Kombat, they have a great anatomy going on with there four handed arms.
    Other than that, really nice work and looking forward to the end result, keep me updated mate!
    All the best and happy sculpting,
    - Kenny:>

Quote Originally Posted by KC-Production View Post
    Cool work on the production challenge, the model is looking good mate!

Definenly you can see the concept of it, one thing though I would rethink the area where the second arms intersect, as a reference look at that one guy or woman from Mortal Kombat, they have a great anatomy going on with there four handed arms.
    Other than that, really nice work and looking forward to the end result, keep me updated mate!
    All the best and happy sculpting,
    - Kenny:>
    First of all, thanks for the feedback!!

I agree with you that when somebody talks about a 4 arms character the first thing that comes to everybody's mind are Goro, Sheeva and Kintaro from Mortal kombat series....

...but there is something really odd about them: they all have four arms, but only two shoulders!! The lower arms come directly from the ribcage... there is no way they could ever move the lower arms without the bone and muscle structure of a second pair of shoulders. So that's what I tried to do with this model (as shown on the first image) I made a second pair of shoulders with the collar bones coming from the middle of the ribcage, a second pair of pectoral muscles that kind of "find their way" through the tight space - as there is a second pair of shoulders on a ribcage as big as a normal one, with only 2 shoulders - and all the back muscles also adapted for the 4 arms anatomy.

An interesting thing is that yesterday there was a big event here in Brazil, called the Union. For two days a few of the greatest artists around - names like Neville Page, Neil Huxley, Alex Alvarez and Scott Spencer - made their "shows" and Scott Spencer talked exactly about this! He showed an alien charatcer who had 4 arms and described how he studied the way it should have 4 shoulders structures for it to be believable... So I really felt good to be in the right direction! (and i should say that I'll never wash my hand again after having the opportunity to shake hands with Neville page and Scott Spencer!!!)

So, I will still have to change that region as I'll have to pose the character as it is on Adrian's concept, and than I'll try to make the lower shoulders look as natural as possible - as it is still kind of too thin, I think...

And thanks again for the feedback!!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

good proces, i like the anatomy from your forearm, nice job

Default Working on the accessories...

Here is an update for the accessories I've modeled so far... (there's still lots of them...)

And a turntable:

Last edited by cascardi; 03-16-12 at 02:31 PM. Reason: just embedding the video... (now that I know how to do it...)

Member Follow User Gallery

Wow So Cool!

Cool

First I want to say, your Model looks great!

Now just a couple of criticisms. The first one I am noticing is that the chest muscles look great on an individual basis, they seem glued on as a double piece. I recommend either Removing one of the doubles and making one large one,
    or bringing some additional mass between the 2 sets, which would make them look more organic and less plastic tacked on. I by no means a master at anatomy myself, But I look at allot of anatomy. I used to be a morticians
    apprentice, I did all the dirty work late into the evening.

My final criticism is the tail/back decoration. The Modeling of it is Awesome! But again, like with the chest muscles, it seems a bit disconnected. I also think it might be too long. If it's meant to be long, I recommend
    curling it so the whole length makes it into the shot, and so that it has more of an organic flow to it.you want to the viewer to think that the tail is alive, part of the character, not draped on like a branch.

Like I said, Your detail in your modeling is great. You just lack a few minor details and have a tad bit of a posing issue. You are almost there man!
    My Gallery site Shameless plug!

First of all, thanks for the feedback Gridlost!!

Talking about the tail/spine, it doesn't seem to be disconnected... it is!!! at least for now... in fact, it is a separate object that is still there just as a reminder there will be something similar to that in the end... the tail on the Adrian's concept is very different from the one I modeled (I did this one based on a humans spine) so I'm considering getting it 100% remodeled. That's why I left it just going straight down... And about the division between the two sets of pectoral muscles, I agree with you.... there is something around there that bothers me just as on the abdominals... I'll try to make all the muscles a little less defined to see if it looks more natural. I made the deep separation between the pectorals trying to make it visible that there is a second pair of clavicles there but it ended up too deep and unnatural....

Thanks again and keep an eye around here to see the next updates!!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Here is another update! this time for the wings and skulls, plus some minor changes... (and all the hard work to make the pectorals look better is behind the skulls...)

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

ya Man! That is way better! Looking good
    My Gallery site Shameless plug!

I'm not a big fan of this kind of creature, but you're doing a very good job in the shapes, congratulations, keep it up.
    Searching for an answer.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Looks amazing! I really like the skull necklaces and armor. Great job!

great job on the character! I really like his detailing a lot! If I may buddy, I think he could look a little more aggressive, because it looks like he is laughing!
    Other than that looking forward to your entry at cghub !
    Cheers and have fun sculpting that amazing conept man!
    - Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KC-Production View Post
    ...I think he could look a little more aggressive, because it looks like he is laughing!...
    Yeah.... kind of.... I did not pay too much attention to the expression yet. I intend to set everything along with the final pose. I don't know if they will take into account at judging, but I'm working on this model in a way it is fully "rigable" (not that I'll rig it, but who knows) It's a "production challenge" after all, and in a real production the T pose comes first (a strange kind of T for this one...)

Thanks again for the comments!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Almost there!! time for rigging!!

Last edited by cascardi; 04-25-12 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast