ZBrushCentral

Scott's T-Rex WIP

Hi, this started as a sculptris sculpt but I am finishing it using Zbrush. I am looking for recomendations in the texture and lighting currently. Crits are welcome. I think i am going to go with the darker texture but the lighter one has some good qualities too, but it does not accentuate the bumps on the model. What do you like better? Obviously I do not know how to manege materials and lighting well yet

Attachments

Rex1.jpg

hey there, this is looking good, and i agree that both materials here look pretty rad. the darker one looks awesome in general, but the lighter one is showing off some awesome details on the face. maybe you could somehow put those details into the darker one then you would get some good from both?

and one thing I can say about the sculpting, is that I don’t like the abdominal muscles so much. maybe look at some reference and see how yours differs to some other renditions.

but good work here, do keep it up. :slight_smile:

determination and persistance will guide the way :slight_smile:

I can just concur with darx. great start though and the trex is looking pretty good mate!
Looking forward seeing the end result Scott!
All the bst to you and happy sculpting,

• Kenny:)

I find the lighter texture to be more natural, and more catching. But I see your problem.

When I look at the darker texture, I see some flocking on the upper leg. This could be used on the lighter texture, maybe with a bit lighter color then on the darker texture, to not make it too eye-catching, but it must be a fair amount darker then the overal color.
You could accentuate some bumps (not all) this way, to make the whole texture more dynamic. The same could also be used at the spikes on the neck, back and tail.

I hope this helps.

Great work! And thanks for not doing another JP T.rex!!!

The first thing I’d do is make the eye waaaayyyy smaller. It will add to the creatures size. Secondly, almost ALL dinosaurs could not pronate their hands. That is, they couldn’t face their palms down. Instead, their palms faces each other so that from the side view you’d clearly see the two fingers, with the lower one being longer than the top one.

David Krentz

The dino abs looks silly i admit

MJ - What does flocking on the upper leg mean? What is the best way to accentuate bumps, is that a brush?

David - Good call on the eyes being smaller, I will make those additions in my next iteration. I liked your Jon carter of mars 8 legged creature

KC - you totally 3d modeled my last boss. all the way down to the cigar; looks just like him haha.

Here is an update on what I have been doing. have been having a hard time working with lat cap and getting shadows working, seems like only one light is allowed to cast light. preview BPM works better then best render. I dunno; fighting with it.

I’m liking the direction you’re going with this. :+1:

Awesome T’Rex, could you tone the shadow down though

@ sparky
actually i couldent, it was at 100% and seemed to be ignoring my shadow settings in lighting. I think there is a conflict in my render settings somewhere. to get the blueish deep shadow details i had to render out a separate image and composite it in Photoshop.