ZBrushCentral

Darth Maul sculpt

Hi everyone, here’s some screenshots of a new sculpt: Darth Maul from… well you,know :slight_smile:

some references (with original actor Ray Park)

screenshots

fast renders with some photoshop cc

wip turntable

//youtu.be/XlTxgpmdIIU

some more work on jaw and face details and going for the dress.

Attachments

thumb.jpg

_darthmaul_reference.jpg

dm_steps_v01.jpg

dm_steps_v02.jpg

dm_steps_v03.jpg

dm_steps_v04.jpg

dm_steps_v05.jpg

dm_steps_v06.jpg

He’s coming out well.

This is me a few Halloweens ago…

Attachments

291830730_506a25bf65_o.jpg

I can just concur, nice sculpt and he definently looks like Darth Maul!:slight_smile:
One thing though, I would rework the chaw area, looks to me that it has a wrong angle, don’t want to critize just giving you an advice!
looking forward seeing more from you
All the best,

• Kenny:)

It looks great! My only (very small) criticism is that the black areas are too black. Flat black areas in Zbrush tend to lead to a loss of detail. I would lighten it up just the tiniest amount. Otherwise really good sculpt!

Crazy good

Thanks for the comments, I’ll update as I get some time.

here’s a little update about head and jaw (more similar to the original actor), a rough expression morph and the dress.

dm_steps_v08.jpg

dm_steps_v09.jpg

looks wicked! captured his angry zabrak-ness perfectly

thanks Crevasse!

I’m having very few time to work on it, so here’s an update

dress and lightsaber (couldn’t resist for the saber effect with ps :slight_smile:

dm_steps_v10.jpg

lightsaber

turntable

//youtu.be/01H74NyR3uI

The dress still needs some work, I’ll modify it when posing Darth Maul.

I’m wondering how to render this: he’s totally black… or better… dark !

General update: did more work on figure proportions, dress, new gloves, new boots and some tweak here and there, I hope you like it!

dm_steps_v12.jpg
dm_steps_v13.jpg
dm_steps_v15.jpg

Maul has a small silver stud in the upper portion of his left ear. Otherwise, this looks great.

Not bad, really great work, great sculpting of the folds,boots and gloves and it totally looks like him!:+1:
Looking forward to the beauty render and the end result!
Cheers buddy,

• Kenny:)

@tomkat364
Welcome to the forum! nice one, thanks, I never noticed that!

@Kenny
Thanks Kenny, I’m planning to pose and render him in a warm background, like the second photo ref, so the details and dark areas should be visible. Cheers!

Oh well, I couldn’t resist to have the sith speeder in the scene :slight_smile:
Basic modeling done in Modo, I’m that good with solid sculpting in Zbrush.

Next steps for the speeder: refining, adding details and then texturing.

ss_steps_v01.jpg

ss_steps_v02.jpg

turntable

//youtu.be/IcmQHdaLX1o

Finally I had some time to finish Maul.
For the final shot I’ve worked a little on his menacing expression and modeled the dress like it’s moved by a little breeze.

Here’s a portrait and the final shot, I hope you like it !

Darth_Maul_final_thumb.jpg

final shot

Darth_Maul_final.jpg

Turned out awesome, your hard work payed off

NOt only is this awesome, I had no idea it was him that played Darth Maul. I’ve loved him in everything he’s been in.

Well done, great sculpt.

Great work! perfect likeness, its him, by all perspective, could you tell us about fov that you used? and what units did you use? is difficult get the right camera fov in other platform, like 3ds Max, Maya,… Did you use only zbrush and pos to get the final image? thanks! :+1:

Well done, great sculpt. :+1:

It would interest me, if there any way to make the glow of the lLightsaber in ZBrush,

or only PS.

Christian

I’ll never get tired of seeing starwars. Fantastic job all around. Can’t wait to see the finished sith speeder.