ZBrushCentral

John Carter Interview with Scott Patton of Legacy Effects

Welcome to the Official Discussion Thread for our
John Carter interview with Scott Patton from Legacy Effects!

Haven’t read it yet?
Click Here

Share your thoughts and comments with Scott and the rest of the Legacy Effects team!

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the
ZBrush Artist Interviews
forum and the User Stories page at the Pixologic website.

Attachments

John-Carter-Banner.jpg

Great stuff! :+1: :+1:
Really like the hi-rez images!

-R

Absolutely wonderful interview. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!

I remember seeing concept design talk/demonstration at Siggraph Zbrush booth in Boston in 2006. Not sure who ran the demonstration (maybe Zack Petroc?) But I can clearly recall the early concepts for Thark head…
Good article!! Congrats to all involved in the creation of this movie!

“Yeah, I am going to do some new DVD tutorials this summer and I would love to hear what people think I should do then on. Any ideas?”

do some of that alien anatomy, like the alien with 4 arms.

Thank you for this!

I think this is one of the best and most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. You guys did a spectacular job.

Cheers,
Mealea

Really astounding work. The levels of talent required to complete this are humbling and inspiring–a true measure to work towards.

Well done, and very entertaining.

Thanks for sharing the insight into EXACTLY what I want to be doing. :slight_smile: Cross posted this over to our class forum over at VIsualarium because this couldn’t fit more perfectly with the Zbrush anatomy workshop we’re working on. The 4 arm ecorche is crazy fun (double scapula win!) - you are living my dream. :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Great interview, thanks for taking the time Scott :sunglasses: :+1: Awesome sculpts-> look forward to seeing the movie -> hopefully you and the team (and ZBrush!) will be featured in the "making-off"when the blu-ray ships!

Really inspiring reading!

I had really been looking forward to the film, and enjoyed it immensely on opening day. Adored Woola, and now want a toy (okay, maybe a nice detailed sculpture and a plush toy:p)!

I have to encourage anyone who is interested in seeing this movie but hasn’t yet to do so. It could have used you on opening weekend, as it performed far below expectations at the box office, and it’s highly unlikely at this point that we will ever get a sequel and enjoy watching this fantastical world and its menagerie of characters and creatures grow in scope. A real tragedy!

Thanks so much to the makers of John Carter for a movie that reached my inner 9-year-old in a way that modern movies almost never do anymore (and by no means is that intended to dismiss it as a kids’ movie), and to Scott for taking the time to give us a glimpse into the process. After almost 40 years of Starlog, Famous Monsters, Cinefex, etc, plus countless hours spent poring over laserdisc, dvd and blu ray special features and the like, I still never tire of seeing the wizards at work, whether in the digital realm, or with rubber, plaster, fiberglass, wood, etc.

Endlessly captivating and thrilling!

Thanks again!

Terry

Thanks for all the kind words!

SwampGhost " I have to encourage anyone who is interested in seeing this movie but hasn’t yet to do so. It could have used you on opening weekend, as it performed far below expectations at the box office, and it’s highly unlikely at this point that we will ever get a sequel and enjoy watching this fantastical world and its menagerie of characters and creatures grow in scope. A real tragedy!"

We all feel the same way, And I know Andrew still believes in Mars.

Scott

Hey Scott,
Loved the article and all the work you did on the film. It was great meeting with you and Lindsay last year and seeing some of this stuff in person. Hope you’re well and keep up the amazing work.

Dave.

Actually that was a different production, back when the director of Sky Captain was attached to the project. Zack Petroc has also worked on that movie and that was probably the reason he was brought on to John Carter. I remember his concept work too, it was less humanoid (especially the eyes) than what Stanton decided to go for.

After that director left, it went to John Favreau I think, before he decided to do Iron Man instead; and before that it was Robert Rodriguez. John Carter was in Hollywood development hell for like 50-60 years.

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I don’t really care. I am just totally inspired and amazed by those astonishing artwork of the movie, totally love the interview, the whole concepts of the characters and creatures! Really that is every artist dream, at least it is mine and thanks ZBrushCentral and Scott Patton for taking your time to make an interview. It is great seeing that it was designed in 3D in the early phases of concepting!
All the best to you all and let’s just keep on going :):+1:,

• Kenny:)

Loved the movie. You guys did a great job and have become an inspiration to me. Thanks.

Wonderful interview, and wonderful movie also…