Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks a lot, your support helped me a lot when seemed like my computer couldn't handle any more stuff...!
    I managed to solve problems and finished this troll guy finally!

These are single pass renders straight from Zbrush with some BPR filters on, without any external compositing or color correction; each render took approximately 30 minutes to render at 1600 x 1600 resolution with high quality settings.

Special thanks to Pstchoart and Zafati for sharing their tips about rendering in Zbrush!

In this project I discovered that standard Zbrush shaders are really powerful, and permit to achieve great results; if someone is interested I can write down a bit about the shaders I made for this piece.

Greatluffy, for the armor pieces I used some basic workflow for hard surface modeling: made a rough piece with dynamesh, quick and simple retopo in Zbrush and then crease on the hard edges.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by stefanobernardi; 05-11-12 at 08:02 AM.

Member Follow User Gallery

Cool :d

wow man, this is going really cool!
    You are making a very good detailing and rendering dude. The armor looks from a clan, or something like that.
    My foavorite part is the skin, it looks so nice.

I gotta learn how to do that.
    Great job!

Now this looks really bad ass,
    I love the texturing and color on the armour.

Skin looks nice also. Very good render.

Love the character! Excellent work you have done. Very impresive and detiled !

Fantastic piece! You definitely nailed the concept. I would love to see your process on rendering.

Default This turned out so awesome

Those toenails, No medication in his time for that I guess.

The piece is amazing. Love the textures also, and armor design.

Thumbs up

The workis flawless,everything is beautiful.
    It would be niceto sharethe settings andworkflowrendering.It would beextraordinary

Wow great work, I love it!

I would be interested in anything you could share about shaders thank you

Wow turned out class. Nice render to get out of zbrush as well.

Another awesome work^^
    .-°-..-°-..-°-..-°-..-°-..-°-..-°-..-°-.
    Portfolio
    fantasy creature
    my works and wip

really a cool work man!

Member Follow User Gallery

Wow, excellent work on everything here, Modeling/Polypaint/Render, all awesome! I would love to get a little insight on your shader creation and possibly other bpr settings. Thanks!

Thanks guys, I'm very happy that you appreciated my stuff!

I put together a little documentation about the shaders i made for this piece, really nothing special, but was a bit tricky to find a nice balance playing with all those tiny sliders in Zbrush interface

Skin shader

This shader is based on the one found in the SSS_Rhino project present in Zbrush 4.0.
    There is one diffuse shader, one reddish SSS and one specular; I added one more SSS shader on the fourth slot to give the skin a greenish hue in some parts.
    I created a duplicated shader with increased specularity and I applied it to the oily parts of the face and body, like the forehead and shoulders; I created one more duplicated shader, with "gel shading" turned on, applied on the lips.
    I set the Material Blend Radius to 10 to hide the transition between materials.

Painted metal

This one was a bit tricky to setup correctly... I created a double shader to simulate the effect of a shiny piece of metal painted with opaque paint.
    the first shader has a high diffuse value and simulates the paint layer. The second shader has a high specularity and is visible only in where the polypaint has a low saturation: for this reason this shader works well if the paint layer has very saturated colors, but it won't work with white paint
    A trick to get nice looking armor parts is to bevel every edge with TrimDynamic Brush to get a nice highlight.

Bone shader

I used this shader for the teeth, nails and bones. I created it using the skin shader as a base; maybe it's a bit too shiny, but I tuned it to give the teeth a wet look.

Leather
    This is a really simple double shader with a subtle specularity on the second shader.

I used also another metal shader for the bronze parts, but it's almost identical to the Painted Metal shader, with slighly different mixer settings.

I created a zip file with these shaders, if you want to try them out you can download them here:

SB_Shaders.zip

The skin shader is tuned for the skin of the troll, but I think it could work quite well even for human skin

Regarding render settings, I used the tips given by Pstchoart regarding SSS and AO settings.
    I used a standard three light setup with only the main light casting shadows and SSS turned on for the main and the rim light. The render turned out a bit dark, so I added a fourth light near the main light to get a stronger specular highlight, and created a lightcap with the default canyon texture to brighten the scene.

I hope you can find useful these infos, thanks for watching!

This is awesome! Thank you for the hard work on this. I really enjoyed following the progress of this piece. I especially appreciate you sharing a bit of your workflow awesome job all around!
    Last edited by Jason jbot Basse; 05-14-12 at 06:21 PM.

Turned out great and thanks for sharing
    Dustin
    .:|Sketch Book |:.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast