ZBrushCentral

Iain Barrett-Byrnes Doodle Sketchy Things

Hello Everyone. This will be my first contribution to this wonderful forum. I have been a registered user for a long time and have been using Zbrush for a couple of years now, but I have never posted.

This forum is a source or constant inspiration. It keeps me motivated, and helps to cultivate new ideas when I can’t think of what to model.

This is just a quick anatomy sketch I worked on today. I really wanted to incorporate a lot of the new features from R3, so this is all done with Dynamesh, Fibermesh, and rendered in Zbrush with BPR Filters.

Criticism is always welcome, anything and everything is helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

Eye 2.jpg

Eye.jpg

Very cool! I have a deep love for eyes, digital and otherwise. I really like where this is going- though my only real concern is that the eyelashes at the top look like they are coming out of the eye itself instead of the lid! Fantastic skin tone though, something I always struggle with.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I hadn’t even noticed that the eye lashes had moved down onto the eye. When I rendered this last night I was so tired it must have gotten past me.

I’m gonna change that and make some tweaks, then I’ll re-render and upload the images again.

Thanks again for the comment Rykka.

This is my latest project. Its a female bust, I plan to make her as photo real as possible and then animate her as a portfolio piece.

There is still a lot of tweaking I want to do, then I will move onto final detail and Polypainting her skin to make it more realistic.

This is all done in Zbrush with Dynamesh, and renderd with BPR. She started as a sphere.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Thanks.

Profile 01.jpg

Profile 02.jpg

Hi good start here, I like where its going.

If your going for photo-real your missing some anatomy landmarks and some of the proportions are off. A few examples:

The plane of the forehead slopes upward and backward to become the skull; and the sides turn sharply to the plane of the temples. Here it seems round and sort of flat where that plane is supposed to happen.

The ears sit too high, they should lie on the rear of the jaw bone. The top of the ear would be more in-line with the outside of the orbital muscle or the brow line, here you have the middle of the ear sort of lining up with that area whereas the middle would be more towards the pivot in the jaw, a little lower maybe but closer than you have it here.

Anyway, I would google some anatomy ref and start to get a feel for the relationships of the major and minor masses because it will make or break a realistic looking face if something is off, people will notice right away. Good start here though keep at it! :slight_smile:

Awesome thanks for the comment.

I will definitely look into straightening things out on the anatomy side of things.

I’ll post some progress shots once I get things changed up a bit.

Hello Everyone.

I wanted to post an update with some of the changes I have made. I haven’t had too much time to work on this over the past few days, But I have changed a fair amount on the bust.

Jason pointed out some really big anatomical flaws in my last post so I wanted to address those first. The ears have been lowered, and I went over the skull using references to make sure things were looking alright.

I also cleaned up some of the topology on her chest, so I posted another wireframe.

For now I have scrapped her old skin texture and pores, so I can focus mainly on the anatomy side of things. I also left the mouth open because one of the next steps is adding gums and teeth.

Hope you like the changes, Please comment and criticize. Everything is welcome.

Thanks - Iain

bust.jpg

bust 2.jpg

Definitely getting there, right on! I’d look at the eyes next, they seem a bit small, also the zygomaticus ( i think that’s what its called) area under the eye if you feel your face you’ll notice this plane of bone, muscle, and fat under the eye area that connects up to the nose arbitrarily. This is my favorite area of the face to work on and its diff for everyone so it helps to have a reference thats lit well so you can see this plane.

You’ll notice how this plane will push the eyes back a bit more than you have it now, and will connect up to the zygomatic bone ( i think its what people refer to as the cheek bone) I like it because its sort of defines a person’s features. Anyway I’m probably not describing this very well, sorry. Just look for the plane under the eyes its a bit flat on the model here it seems.

Good changes though, keep it up! I also like the changes you made to the topology on the chest. Way better than before.

Finally getting around to an update.

I haven’t really had the time to do much work on 3d lately. Which makes me angry, so I started working again in my spare time.

Feedback is always welcome. Positive or Negative.

There is still work to do, always tweaking the anatomy, as well as the Zbrush rendering. I still don’t have a full handle on all the features in 4 R3. There is so much to learn.

Thanks for the feedback.

Iain