Default Norse hilt WIP

Hi guys,

This is my new Norse hilt design i thought i would put it up here and see what feedback i could get from you guys. Thanks!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

hey hey Man! good to see you posting here. it's getting better for sure. Don't forget to blur the matcaps at rendertime - that will help with the pixelated edges of the wrap. Or better, just polypaint that. Needs to leave a border around the designs your using - the lowest one goes over the edge and looks weird.
    https://www.artstation.com/magbhitu
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161407-mag-s-WIP-thread
    my painting and render gallery

my deviant art gallery

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for responding dude! Yeah i think im gunna re do the fabric around the handle. i like the red in it though. For some reason material painting is being a pain and ignoring masks and such, real pain in the butt.
    "Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago" -- from For Scirnis

Hey guys here is an update on the hilt. What ya guys think of the new carvings? to much? keep going?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hilt bottum SS.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	469.1 KB 
ID:	303871  
    "Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago" -- from For Scirnis

keep going!

Thanks for the comment Herra! I've got another update comeing hope ya like it.

Here is a quick update on the current design. I added a real quick material paint on it.

Name:	Bottum hilt.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	304692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top hilt.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	304693  

if yer gona use the inset it's gota be a wider shelf and more regular. edges are getting too thin and danglely. pay attention to the negative space around the alphas and either get ride of it or make it flow with the overall design. don't chop knots or patterns off whatever you do. it is getting better but in baby steps. helps to show the whole object in a perspective view so folks can evaluated the total effect. as Herrapuputti said - "Keep going!"
    https://www.artstation.com/magbhitu
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161407-mag-s-WIP-thread
    my painting and render gallery

my deviant art gallery

Here is a quick change from the sword hilts and here is a Norse style battle axe.

This was from an imported basemesh right? One tip would be to divide it only once or twice with smooth off, then turn smooth on for the next subdivisions. This means you'll have enough density to retain the proper shape, but it'll smooth out the transitions. At the moment, the axe looks almost low-poly since its silhouette is very geometrical, you can see the changes in curvature as straight lines. Some of the edges are quite sharp too, and the beveling is quite obvious. The celtic details look good, i'd like to see more variance with the scratches though. Use the slash brush or dam standard with a sharp, small dot alpha to draw individual scratches, preferably with some lighter polypaint on. The zbrush alpha you've used so far is quite noticeably repeated too often, so this will help break it up. I'd store scratches etc in layers so you have more control over them later on. And project the details at the highest subdiv you will ever go to in order to get the most accurate detailing.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response Senka!

Yeah this is from a basemesh made in 3ds max. This is an older file and im not sure if i have or not done the subdivided smoothing as ya stated, but i definitely do now. I will have to try those two brushes out and try the layers. thanks!

Here is a quick update, sorry for the severial images. I have gotten my shield, sword ( Needs re texturing ), and Axe in the SKyrim game! woooo. Here is some pics. Zbrush, Artweaver, and Modo 601 were used for all of em.

Its one thing to make something. It is really quite an accomplishment to get models into games and functioning.

Yeah it sure is, its kinda exciting when it all works. Thanks for the reply!

Here is my updated sword texture, I think im going to keep this one and pit it in my mod. Let me know what ya think.

Name:	Render.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	306687  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast