ZBrushCentral

Interview: Mass Effect 3 (BioWare) - New images added - May 3

It’s always exciting for us to be able to interview the art teams at BioWare! Few companies have been so enthusiastic about sharing high resolution images and really great information about both the art direction and the way that ZBrush helped them meet their goals. In case you might have missed our previous interviews with them, here are the links:

Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2

Now that the Mass Effect franchise – possibly the most successful RPG series in gaming history – has been brought to its conclusion, you can only imagine how happy we were about the opportunity to bring the character art team back for a follow up!

We hope you enjoy it! :slight_smile:

Click Here for the Interview

Some Images From the Interview:

Many thanks to Rodrigue Pralier and his team for taking the time to speak with us! Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments concerning their artwork in this thread! (For the benefit of people who might not have played the game yet, we ask that you not talk about story elements.)

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the
ZBrush Artist Interviews
forum and the User Stories page at the Pixologic website.

Attachments

Ashley-zbc.jpg

Javik-zbc.jpg

Cerberus-zbc.jpg

Geth-zbc.jpg

Reaper-zbc.jpg

Finding it a little claustrophobic to read within the thread (that’s how it shows up in my Chrome). Can we get a link to the article also?

Amazing work Herbert, Raf, Rod, Kolby, Rion and Jaemus!!!

I loveee this game, so addictive specially the sexy multiplayer <3

Keep up the excellent work

-Ty

It’s at http://www.pixologic.com/interview/mass-effect3/1/

Thanks Aurick! I loved the game (I actually just got the Art of Mass Effect Universe today) and wanted to read/see what Kolby and the gang did a little larger so I appreciate that!

Edi is just wonderful!

I agree and a nice homage to Aeon Flux - though I don’t know if that was intentional. She just reminds me of her so much in that alternate outfit. Edi, Javik, Thane, Mordin and Grunt are characters I just love looking at in the games.

Great work and amazing characters, but extremely low-rez images. Any chance to see it in bigger size?

QFA - great character work guys :slight_smile: also the concept artist deserve a bow…

Have you clicked the “View High Res” button at the bottom of each page? We do that with all our interviews. You then get thumbnails to click on and view the full size. Some are quite large!

Love This game series It’s kind of playing with a movie…

Rodrigue: I think we were happy with the result while we were working on the models. But near the end of the project we started to see all these elements that we wanted to redo and make even better but we had so much to do that we weren’t able to do that. I think it’s every artist***8217;s curse: as soon as you are done with a piece you already want to go back and change things. We will do better next time. :slight_smile:

Like to comment on the above quote from Rodrigue.

My question is how do you know when to stop? Especially on a self project, it’s hard to know when to stop. There are endless solutions and possible designs. Can drive a artist nuts.

I mean the changes can keep going and going and going…
220px-Energizer_Bunny copy.jpg
Puts this pink guy to shame :slight_smile:

Thanks for bringing this interview Pixologic

best,
R

Some really stunning work! :+1:

This work makes me feel like a “primitive” lol.

I LOVE the Geth design and what you did with jack :D:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thank for the present. Need more good artists interviewes.But need WIP(How it is made?).WIP from BIOWARE"s artists.Maybe it is will be more useful.Like short Masterclass.

Heys guys!

thanks for the kinds words

rwilliam: we have to stop when we reach the deadline :slight_smile:

We will be posting few more pictures that weren’t included in the interview

here is our first post:

few more shots

Geth_Lineup_01.jpg

Salarian_Light_armor.jpg

ME3_GarrusAlt.jpg

Kaidan_alt_Rodrigue.jpg

phantom_high.jpg

ME3_geth_PRM.jpg

Kaidan_Rodrigue.jpg

ME3_James_alt.jpg

Liara_DLC_01_low.jpg

ME3_Shepard_Fatigues.jpg

Now that is what I call a astonishing and mindblowing gallery of high detailed and beautiful character design, just love the story of each character and the whole setting is just great!:+1:
Really a big inspiration for me seeing this high detailed work, for a beginner like me there is nothing better to see than that!
Really enjoyed watching every image about 5minutes looking at all the detail and the great texturing on them aswell!
Definently a fantastic job to the whole BioWare Production Team!:+1:
All the best to you all and hopefully see you all soon ^^hihi

• Kenny :slight_smile:

Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing these images and thanks for creating some of my favorite characters. :slight_smile: