ZBrushCentral

Fynn's Sketchbook

Hey guys
in this thread i will post my wip and final images
im starting with some old sculpts and my last model ‘Thark’ for the sculpting challenge on 3dtotal
highres image for the thark sculpt: http://grimnor.deviantart.com/#/d4y3bfl
check out my youtube channel for the sculpting videos :slight_smile:
cheers
Gnom.jpgBird.jpgOrc.jpgTroll_03.jpgElf.jpgRobot_organic_4.jpgGoblin.jpgFinal_image_small.jpgFront_Back.jpg

Attachments

Gnom.jpg

Bird.jpg

Orc.jpg

Troll_03.jpg

Elf.jpg

Robot_organic_4.jpg

Goblin.jpg

some more
Monster.jpgBud.jpgPost_195_last_small.jpgPost_168_secondlast.jpghelmet_05.jpg

Attachments

Monster.jpg

Bud.jpg

helmet_05.jpg

i love mom !

thank you :slight_smile:
the original concept is by Markus Lovadina
you can find the sketch on the end of this page:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=85804&page=13

my first attempt on a femal head
i’m not really happy with it yet… any suggestions?
Head_03_02.jpg

Attachments

Head_03_02.jpg

Hi Fynn. Nice works you have here!

Nice attempt on the female head. Looks better than my first few goes thats for sure! I’m just a student myself, but I do see a few things to note.

First off, if you arent using reference you really should.

I think the side profile is whats throwing it off the most. A lot of the features are sitting too flat on the front of the face. Just google image female profile and you’ll see a ton of great examples. The overall mass of the nose should be 1/2 on, 1/2 off the face if that makes any sense. The barrel of the mouth also needs more fullness and especially the lips. The bottom lip should be more full, but the top lip should protrude slightly more. Some work on the cheek bones and the zygomatic arch extending back towards the ear will greatly improve both the front and side views. You should also consider a smoother curve back for the jaw line. Also the ear is tilted forward when it really needs to tilt back.

All in all you’re on the right track. I’m attaching a profile pic I found online. I sketched in lines in to illustrate some of these areas. The blue line illustrates something you should look for in your work. With most people if you were to draw a line from the brow ridge to the cheek bone it would pass right over the outer edge of the eye ball. Just something to look for.

Hope it helps!

thanks a lot FatherO!!
i tried to correct all of the aspects you mentioned
here is the update
Head_03_05.jpg

Attachments

Head_03_05.jpg

Hey Fynn, good job. :+1:

Very noticeable improvement from the side view. All around its looking much better.

It seems while adjusting the upper lip from the side you lost some of the good shape you had going in the front originally. Otherwise, things are shaping up nicely. If you’re going to continue on this one I’d recommend spending more time on the lips. The corner of the lips shouldnt be so sharp. They should “cushion” into the face. Imagine that the corners of the lips start from inside the mouth rather than out on the face. Its not so much that you need to push them in. From what I can tell you mostly just need to work around them. There are very fleshy parts along the sides of lips as well as off the sides of the bottom lip. Lips have a lot of shape to them. I’m bad at explaining so here is another pic of aspects to note.

Sculpting attractive women is a challenge (for me at least). I still have issues getting it just right. Just pay close attention to your reference and try to capture the subtle aspects. Also keep the model as low poly as possible until you cant get any more shape out of it, then subdivide and continue (or increase resolution if using dynamesh). And dont beat yourself up trying to force one model into submission! Just learn what you can from it and you’ll always do better on the next try.

Just keep at it friend! :slight_smile:

thank you!
i really appreciate your advices :slight_smile:
and you’re right, i will move on to the next sculpt
Head_03_06.jpg

another head study from today
Head_04_02.jpg

Attachments

Head_04_02.jpg

and again
timelapse:

Head_05.jpg

Ah, lots of cool stuff. Keep it up. Best, Dragon.

thank you dragon :slight_smile:
here is an update of the thark sculpt
any suggestions?
Thark_polypaint_03.jpg

little update
Thark_polypaint_04.jpg

Welcome to ZbrushCentral:)
Really great start on here, cool sculpts buddy!:+1: Nice work on the Thark:)
Looking forward seeing more from you and will keep an eye on your progress :slight_smile:
All the best and happy sculpting Fynn,

• Kenny :slight_smile:

thanks a lot kenny :slight_smile:
i’ve started another sculpt inspired by one of markus lovadina’s sketches
timelapse video:
<object style=“height: 390px; width: 640px”>

<embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/HKJePW3pCsI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” height=“360” width=“640”></object>

Post_506.jpg

update
timelapse video 2:

<embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/f16oXwQ2eNE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” height=“360” width=“640”></object>

Post_506_2.jpg

changed the expression
any suggestions?
timelapse:

<embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/9eA7WddbHUA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” height=“360” width=“640”></object>

Post_506_3.jpg

I like where this is heading!

thanks jason :slight_smile:

i’ve started my entry for the sculpting challenge on 3dtotal
the plan is to do a young juggler with a fiddle sitting on a chair or dancing on a little stage
timelapse:

<embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/AElsvOezRGA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” height=“360” width=“640”></object>

Jongleur_01.jpg