New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MentalFrog View Post
    Very cool stuff. What kind of scanning hardware and software was used? Was it all CT scan data or were other scanning procedures used?

It'd be cool to print some of those on a 3D printer. I'm located in Utah I might have to give you a visit up there sometime.

I do a lot of work with scanning and 3d printing.
    MentalFrog, we use non-contact 3D digitizers to do all of our scans. Our primary scanner is a Konica Minolta 9i but we have two older Cyberware scanners, the MS and M15 (which are still awesome in my book), and of course a Next Engine. We are currently checking out Brueckman (amazing structured light scanners) to potentially add another tool to our chest.

We do have the capabilities to process CT data but do not have a CT scanner in house, we work with local radiology departments and other institutions to acquire the scans and then process them here (we use Mimics to do that). Other software that we use for building and mesh correction / cleanup / orientation etc. is Geomagic Studio and we throw in some Blender and Daz for good measure.

Aside from that, outside of the scanning software and authoring tools that come bundled with the hardware, Z-brush and Photoshop are our primary finishing tools.
    We would be happy to have you, feel free to swing through anytime and we can show you the gear and facility

Ill be adding some more images shortly.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers!

ETA: Santis, we have never done a lion but we have done some other big cats that might be of help to you as reference material. They can be found on one of our main model sites called VZAP (http://vzap.iri.isu.edu/ViewPage.aspx?id=230), a Canadian lynx for sure, a Bobcat or two and there may be a Mountain Lion up there as well but I would have to check.

All of the models on that page can be accessed for free as 3D pdf's so you will need a current version of adobe acrobat to view them but there are also high quality 2D photos of the bones available as well. Keep in mind when viewing them that we have to decimate down to about 1/10th of the surface resolution / mesh density in order to make them distributable online but if you see something and need a better view send me a PM and Ill put some stuff up in the thread. Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Nicholas G.C.; 05-11-12 at 02:22 PM.

Default More Whale Stuff

In following a request, I thought I would add some more stuff from the whale build posted in my first entry.

These are just some of the build shots I captured as I was going through the articulation before I finally settled on a layout. The curve of the spine was way too exaggerated as you can see in the first pic here, so it got toned down before i started putting the ribs in.

This was taken inside of Gates Fine Arts Gallery in Pocatello. The poster to the left of the whale is the one i uploaded earlier in the thread...it too was printed out quite large (we have several of these, I will find pictures of them printed out and post them too).

It is currently down off the wall waiting for a new home so we snapped another shot to give some idea of scale. The print render is
    96.16 X 33.3 inches but we increased the height to about 40 when we printed. Ill add another shot once it gets back on the wall outside the museum gallery.

The entire articulation was done inside of z-brush utilizing the subtools / transpose functions and then rendered out. Slightly adjusted the contrast in photoshop but not much, this is essentially a pure bpr render exported and printed. Gotta love being able to do so much in one program.

More to come soon!

Cheers,

NGC
    Last edited by Nicholas G.C.; 05-11-12 at 10:32 AM.

Default some color work

Thought I would add these in before i call it for the weekend. We have posted a good deal of skeletal material but we work with other stuff as well. This is a quick shot of some cleanup texture work we did with some artifacts from a teaching collection that we scanned in many years ago.

As you can see, the mesh is Really low density / detail due to both the scanners we used to capture the data and the fact that I was quite new to modeling when I made these. It makes me want to pull them up and start 'fixing'...must control the urge!

However, once Rob got some color data put back onto them the lack of detail in the scan files is compensated quite nicely and the effect is photo realistic. Just what we like to see. Simple bpr render from z-brush, nothing fancy. The color data does all the work here.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

I will be back to posting content on Monday I am sure
    Last edited by Nicholas G.C.; 05-11-12 at 02:41 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

So cool!

best regards,
    Fábio Paiva
    Instagram
    Artstation

wow what an amazing idea. this would be a great place for sculptors to study anatomy and apply comparative anatomy!
    The greatest emperor in the world is one you never know is there.

https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfJdub
    Portfolio

Really awesome work! Look forward to seeing more!

Fantastic Scans.

wow! thanks so much for sharing your work. its really well done!
    great to see zbrush used so skillfully, Top Row candidate!

These are truly great and inspirational! I like that as I become more immersed in ZBrush, I'm also getting an education in scientific research on vast interesting subjects. It looks like the bone Matcaps have a bit of bronzing in them -- great renders. Are you able to post info on how big these files are before you decimate them? I love the photos of people standing in front of the printouts. They would make great posters. Thanks for sharing!

wow ! great job !

Really fascinating stuff! It's fun to hear that ZBrush is not only used by sculpting artist, but also in science. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtBot View Post
    Are you able to post info on how big these files are before you decimate them?
    Actually yes we can

The Orca Skulls came in at a little over 10 million polygons for "Hope" and a little over 11 million for "Kruzov." A majority of the bones we have scanned and built for the VZAP Project only have around million raw polygons in them when we finish their editing. Some things are so small (less than a CM in length) and they normally come in under a hundred thousand polys. Honestly, I look at some of the models people post here that have around 50K polys in them and wonder how you all can make things that look so awesome with so few polygons!

We have a process we take each thing we scan through that makes the models easier to work with and ZBrush is a HUGE part of that. We start by saving a full resolution model, then decimate the ever-loving-life out of them. We make low resolution models with between 1000 to 5000 polygons in them depending on the surface complexity we are trying to capture. Just yesterday I posted an update to our scanning and editing process on our website (http://ivl.imnh.isu.edu/Process.htm), so if you want to see some videos about what we do and how we go about doing it feel free to check them out.

(Shameless promotional plug) We also happen to have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/IdahoVirtualizationLaboratory) where we post updates, renders, etc. on a semi regular basis. Feel free to check that out. Remember to "Like" it while you are there

Default Beautiful

amazing work. can't image how much time and patience it took to get it right.

Thumbs up

very nice
    Training is very enjoyable with creativity
    Tanks for sharing

fantastic work.
    your job sounds really interesting
    glad you finally decided to join the forum, so you could share these cool works.

-r
    rasmus warming
    rasmusw.dk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast