Member Follow User Gallery

Smile

I really like your work!
    Bravo!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

This stuff is awesome and is more than welcome here! After all, isn't art and science basically the same thing? I also really appreciate your explanations on things. Thank you kindly for sharing, and I'm looking forward to more.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Great work!
    I would really like to have the skull posters as reference sheets with the names and labels on it (and maybe even in hi-res? ).

Thank you all for your comments, it is pretty awesome to see your work so well received by such a prestigious community. I will be back to posting some things after I finish a particularly complicated build that I have been working on. We are still working through the bugs of getting some visuals out for commercial distribution but as we are a non-profit academic lab, there are special considerations to be made. However, I can throw some of the labeled posters up here for posterity and will do so soon.

Thanks for looking!!!

Default Oh the HUMANITY...

Nick has convinced me to post another one of the posters I did for the art show last year. This particular piece was actually put together as a reference poster on Human Anatomy. All the individual bones were processed and textured in ZBrush, though the final image was rendered in Blender. The text was added in Photoshop later.

This skeleton was the very first actual non-test thing we ever digitized. We have gone back a few times and re-processed the files as we have learned more about how to do things better. Right now we really need to re-shoot all the photographs for this fella since we truly didn't have the photography skills then that we do now. Unfortunately the skeleton is in almost constant use with the osteological classes so the window to do anything with it is really narrow.

The professor does use our 3D models of this skeleton in his classes, but the students still have a number of lab classes where they are required to interact with the actual bones. If I understand the professor's comments correctly, access to the 3d models (in 3D PDF files by the way) has increased the student's ability to learn the bones substantionally. Which is what we like to hear
    Last edited by schlrobe; 05-15-12 at 12:51 PM.

congrats on the Top Row. very well deserved!

Cool Very cool results!

Your images remember this
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Default Another whale build.

So it has been a few weeks since I've updated here. Thank you for the great responses!! I have been a busy bee articulating the second Orca we scanned, the skull of which was the first image of this thread. I made lots of grabs so I thought I would put them up starting with the spinal column and work my way through the articulation process. If you have any questions feel free to post.

Hope you enjoy them!!

A clean layout of the spinal column is the most important part. It is what everything else is going to 'hang' off of so it had to look right before I did anything else.

These are some detail shots of how the ribs went together. As this was a juvenile, not all of the bones were fully formed so much of the orientation had to be idealized a little bit to make it look correct. None of the bones were scaled or modified. They are true to form.

This is a full view of the rib cage once the sternal ribs, sternum and flipper assemblies were articulated.

The placement of the teeth in the rostrum was probably the most difficult aspect of this build in terms of making them look and feel symmetrical. I included a few renders of how the teeth are sitting inside the bridge for posterity. The teeth represented here are actually scanned from casts, the originals need to be pulled and placed in liquid immediately to keep them from drying out and shattering. So for all you intrepid osteologists and bone preparators out there, first order of business in de-fleshing an Orca is tend to those teeth!! ...just in case you were wondering. These casts were masterfully done, and the lower mandibles were already fitted (hurray!) with dentures when we arrived on site to do the capture. One less thing

A nice toothsome grin from a right modern day dragon Orca whales are really an amazing animal.

This is the final layout, i may tweak it a bit here and there but for all intents and purposes this is how it will stay. If the head looks on the largish side, that is because it is, or rather, it is the body that is on the smallish side...this is an aspect of its age not in the scaling of the elements. I will put up a side by side of both the whales we have now done together to give you an idea of scale. For whatever reason I cannot with this post. Likely ran out of room, so stay tuned!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

NGC
    Last edited by Nicholas G.C.; 06-19-12 at 12:38 PM.

Here is the side by side of both Orca whales, the large is the adult female, the small is the juvenile male. Both of these individuals are actually physically articulated and hung on display at their prospective sceince centers. The adult female on top is housed at the Port Townsend Marine Science Center in Port Townsend, Washington and is the subject of a soon to be released and much anticipated orca bone atlas (ill add links here once the project is finished). The juvenile male below is on display at the Sitka Sound Science Center in Sitka, Alaska. I encourage anyone visiting these areas to go and have a look, the actual specimens are quite a sight to see and the administrators/researchers at these centers are wonderful folks. Indivually, each of these bones can also be found on the VZAP database linked out earlier in the thread as well as several thousand other bones from over 130 unique taxa.

More to come soon!

Cheers,

NGC

wow! thank you for sharing your work again
    Its a real pleasure to see something that truly comes from nature, and executed with such precision too.
    Seeing the correct skeletal structure puts the creature in perspective.
    Keep on posting please

Quote Originally Posted by harapuzo View Post
    wow! thank you for sharing your work again
    Its a real pleasure to see something that truly comes from nature, and executed with such precision too.
    Seeing the correct skeletal structure puts the creature in perspective.
    Keep on posting please
    Thank you Harapuzo! It is great to see your work so well received. We have a beluga and a narwhal coming soon so keep your eyes on the thread. I may put up an exploded CT render of the juvenile's skull today too if i can get it finished.

cheers!

NGC

Default Some grey matter for your grey matter

A little CT work. Render and layout all within Zbrush.

Awesome work and very useful
    Thx for the share

Default Grey Seal Color Work

Sometimes a good texture map makes all the difference.

Default Art and Anthropology

Greetings Zbrush,

It has been awhile since we have posted in here, been lots brewing in the lab lately. We recently finished putting a series of works together for an art exhibit and as a good number of the finished renders had their
    origins in or were made exclusively with Z-brush I thought I would share some of them with the community. Let us know what you think!!

This one is made from a rather old 3d scan of a pecked whale bone mask from Alaska. This entire assemblage is going to be revisited by us in the near future in order to capture better data so don't be surprised to see variations of this artifact soon.

We wanted to include some more cetaceans because they were such a big hit last time. We made the executive decision that they needed to be enormous and decided
    to throw a dolphin in for good measure as well. Measuring in at !! 120 x 40 inches !! this render is a real eye catcher.

This is a detail of the latest articulation Short Beaked Common Dolphin (Saddle Back Dolphin) masterfully done by Robert.

These are 3D models of various artifacts from many years of archaeological research in Alaska. These are beautiful and extraordinarily rare. No question this was my all time favorite collection to have had the pleasure to work with.

A little bump and displacement helps bring out fine details.

This is a piece from some bio-mechanical work being done in the lab with Robert and a team of exceptional paleontologists trying to unwrap the mysteries of the Helicoprion.
    Shown is a 3d scan cleaned and rendered with a low resolution reconstruction of the feature represented in the fossil. We have much higher detail versions of this
    but as the research is still very much underway I can't reveal what else is behind the curtain. However, expect to see more of this material soon as well!
    This is the kind of stuff that makes science sexy

Finally, a little more false color CT work. I really love pealing these files apart...don't ask me why but it's a little like popping bubble wrap for me.

That is all for now, we have tons of new stuff that we are working on and we have even more of these up on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/IdahoVirtualizationLaboratory) so feel free to hop over and browse. Don't forget to drop us a like and say hi while you are there!!

Cheers!

NGC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast