ZBrushCentral

ZBrush4R4 Beta Testing By: Chris Carter

What an incredible release from Pixologic! Brilliant stuff!

I especially love the IMM brushes (especially as Curves!!!), the Topology Brush, the Mesh Fusion, and the QRemesher. I had a blast on this and I know you all will too! Here are some renders from a sculpt I did for the beta. Below that are some Insert Multi-Mesh Brushes that I made. Those are included in the release, along with a WEALTH OF OTHER BRUSHES.

And if you missed it, here’s the release along with numerous great videos and instructional stuff:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?170100-ZBrush-4R4-Are-YOU-ready

And here’s my tutorial on using some of the many new features:
http://download.pixologic01.com/download.php?f=Documents/ZBrush4R4/ZBrush_4R4_tutorial_Chris_Carter.pdf

Thanks Pixologic!

Attachments

CgCarter_DeathintheFamily_01.jpg

CgCarter_DeathintheFamily_02.jpg

CgCarter_DeathinTheFamily_03_v2.jpg

IMM_Army_Curve_Brushes_CgCarter.jpg

IMM_Clothing_Hardware_CgCarter.jpg

IMM_Industrial_Parts_CgCarter.jpg

Congrats Chris,really nice piece of Work!well done

Seems like a good idea to post these in here as well. Remember this is all available in a single PDF at the main release thread.

BTW, “the Replacement Mesh” I refer to here is the “Mesh Fusion”.

Happy ZBrushing!!!

Sheet1_MakingtheMechArm_LineGuides.jpg
Sheet2_MakingtheMechArm_Cradle.jpg
Sheet3_MakingtheMechArm_FuelRail&Fitting.jpg
Sheet4_MakingtheMechArm_HosesLinesChains.jpg
Sheet5_MakingtheMechArm_Frame.jpg
Sheet6_MakingtheMechArm_BlockConcepting.jpg
Sheet7_MakingtheMechArm_BlockFinalizing.jpg
Sheet8_MakingtheMechArm_CylindersShaftsExhaustRadiusUlna.jpg
QRemesher_Part1.jpg
QRemesher_Part2.jpg
ReplacementMesh.jpg

Attachments

Sheet4_MakingtheMechArm_HosesLinesChains.jpg

This is Fantastic!! I cannot wait to play around with these new features! Thank you for the detailed description, I know I’ll be coming back here to read and re-read! awesome sculpt too. :smiley:

Thank you for sharing your techniques.
Bookmarked! :slight_smile:

The making of that arm is madness!
Reading your tutorial just melted my brain, can’t wait to test out some new features!

Just a question though: is a Zbrush only workflow a good option for hard surface stuff, or is it still better to mix traditional softwares and Zbrush?

Thanks for sharing!

Great sculpt! Awesome step by steps!!!:sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

3mm, SammehSAMURAI, pid18000, Etcher: Thanks guys! Glad you like. The step by step was fun to put together. :smiley:

stefanobernardi: That’s a tough question to answer. What I will say is that the past several releases have made it MUCH MUCH simpler to do hard surface stuff right in ZBrush, without ever leaving. Especially using the technique created by Paul Gaboury and popularized by Mike Jenson, which I used on the frame piece (Sheet 5). Variations of this workflow using the new Topology brush can make it even easier. But, I have to say, other apps are flat out built to do hard surface as their first skill. And with certain more complicated mech items, yeah, ZB isn’t always the first choice. It can also depend on what we’re talking about. The Tri-Parts hoses, bullets, and tanks treads that I have here are ZBrush, and it’s freaking amazing! (it welds those hoses too). Also, that train they ship was 100% ZBrush, and I know that the guy that made it, Paul, had next to no time to do so. Not bad for hard surface on a tight schedule IMO.

But anyway, I encourage you to try it, if you haven’t already. There’s a ton of powerful stuff in ZB for hard surface now and it’s well worth experimenting.

Best,

-Chris