ZBrushCentral

First ever Zbrush attempt :D

This is my first try ever at using ZBrush, I tried to make a human torso and I think it turned out pretty decent for first try :smiley: I didn’t go super detailed and make veins and stuff but I think the general form is okay. Comments/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

TorsoBack.jpg

TorsoFront.jpg

Here’s my second go at ZBrush! I made a head, just made it up as I went. I realized I never introduced myself.

My name is Robert. I am a college student studying computer science. I have no formal art education but I like to do art and contribute to art forums like this one in my spare time. Like I said I have no formal education so I do my learning through trial and error and by reading/watching tutorials so if anyone knows any really great tutorials I would love to have links :slight_smile:

Anyways, here is my second try, I know the eyes are bad, definitely need lots and lots of work on eyes ><
GoblinSide.jpg
GoblinFront.jpg

I am also a beginner but here is my sugestion for the eyes try to use either insert sphere brush or a subtool.

Hey there! As a beginner I advice you to get Anatomy books and basic guides to Zbrush… There you will find the basics of form and proportion as well as the very important things you should know in Zbrush ( how to use the brushes, tips for getting specific tasks done, how to control the form you sculpt and avoid lumpiness etc etc). If I may recommend you a particular author, that would be Scott Spencer. Begin with his Anatomy book and with his Gnomon DVD, Introduction to Zbrush 4. There you will find the fundamentals you need in order to get a solid foundation in Zbrush.

Another thing would be, if I may suggest you, to avoid getting into details early on. As Scott Spencer is saying, and most of the great artists I’ve seen videos with (Cesar Dacol jr, Pat Imrie, Zack Petroc and others), focus on basic form and on structure… avoid going up the subdiv levels and always try to maintain the control of your sculpture by smoothing while adding/subtracting.

That would be it for now… my 2 cents. If you need any other information that I can provide or you want to ask me any question let me know and I will try to answer as good as I can (keep in mind that I’m a newbie as well :).

Thanks for the comments guys! I will definitely look into Scott Spencer stuff. I will keep practicing and reading/watching stuff and probably make a sketchbook thread to show my progress :slight_smile:

Yumme’s tips are great, and I agree about the books (I’m using them, too). If you are on a budget, which most of us are, you might start with just one of the books or videos suggested (I like Scott Spencer’s ZBrush Sculpting Human Anatomy) and then supplement them with videos from YouTube. You can find many examples where artists have recorded their work. Such a generous community, ZBrush artists. I was in exactly your spot, self-teaching, absorbing any help I could find. Have fun!

@Zambash: These are a great start although as already mentioned you should take more time over the initial form of your sculpt. Details will add to a sculpt but if the underlying form and structure are missing, then the final mesh will lose it’s impact.

@Yumme: Great tips and thanks for the mention.

Thanks,

Pat

Study Anatomy