ZBrushCentral

Logen Ninefingers from The Blade Itself

I LOVE the First Law Series by Joe Abercrombe (I just started listening to the audio books AGAIN).

This the how I pictured Logen Ninefingers (The Bloody Nine) since I heard Book 1.

It’s a wonderful series - grim and violent but with heart and depth.

All comments and crits are appreciated.

Attachments

LogenNinefingersRenders.jpg

I really enjoyed the first law series, didn’t enjoy Best Served cold as much, was far too depressing!

Excellent sculpt too, I’m getting an Eddard Stark (by Sean Bean) vibe too, I think you did a good job of capturing the hard bastard look as well. (Now do Cosca!)

Looks real nice. I really really like the work you’ve done on the hair. You’ve done quite a nice job on the scars too. I tend to feel scars are “too much” most of the time, but somehow, you managed to make something that feels plausible.

Well done !

Great character. Excellent, strong shapes. You’ve found a great balance between comic book exaggeration and realism. The hair is very delicately handled especially. Nicely done.<style id="_clearly_component__css" type=“text/css”>#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Nice sculpt. Has a Game of thrones feel :slight_smile:
Interesting work with the hair.

Amazing shape and expression!!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Love it! The hair is particularly nice…

Inspired me to grab the first audiobook last night and I am loving that so far as well. Thanks! :smiley:

Geat sculpt! Never heard of First Law before but I love this character! Also agree with the above on the hair :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Yeah, I am going to try to do Zbrush hair with him soon and polypaint.

So I made a few changes to the sculpt, some based on feedback from fans of the series on Joe Abercrombie’s blog. I pushed the scars and the ugly. I thought about dirtying him up (might still do that) Polypainted and got a chance to try out the fibermesh fun.

I think for now I’m done :slight_smile:

Rendered in Zbrush.

1 Like

this is great the hair in particular…

wow that head has some character, great work Gaboon :slight_smile:

Very cool work! I agree the hair sculpt looks great!

Everything is good but I also love those hairs - can you say something about process of sculpting them?

Thanks guys.

The hair was done in two parts. I sculpted the underlying mass with a standard brush (A).
Then I created a single hair clump, sculpted its detail and duped it many, many times and distributed it all over (B).

Hairdemo.JPG

I am happy with how the hair looks, but I think this method only works for wet/greasy hair. I’d like to use a fiber mesh, which I used for the beard, for some stray “dry” strands.

I used the mesh insert brush to do the eyebrows.

1 Like

How did you do that hair? Its awesome!

Didnt he just explained it? :confused:

BTW thanks for explanation - teah for greasy hair that works wonders - very cool, thank you.

1 Like