ZBrushCentral

Fallout Tactics Power Armor WIP

I decided to try out some hard surface sculpting in zbrush

So i found this concept:

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/4823/compilationz.jpg

And decided to give it a shot using only zbrush. It’s from the older fallout games, and i am gonna try and reproduce it using zbrush. Never played these older fallout games, but i liked the design and it has some interesting details… i am however adding my own touches design and trying to give it a more contemporary feel.

Here were the 3 stages i went through:

Right now i am going through the process off concepting the details and giving the armor a more interesting look. So far i got the upper and lower torso detailed in:

Still might go through some changes but the rest of the arms, legs, head, hands, shoulder and pelvis will follow this design.

Attachments

evolution.jpg

fallout_detail1.jpg

A little progress with the head and waist area… Changed the material for a more metalic one. So far so good! Any comments and critiques are welcome!

DETAIL2.jpg

Did a lillte more work… got the legs done!

legs.jpg

I am gonna probably change the waist area as it does not look like he could bring his knees up… right now the piece looks like shorts… gonna have to make it into an underwear shape so that he has more mobility.

Any comments and critiques are welcome!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: looks great - keep at it !!

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

I got feedback from another forum stating his proportions looked off. So i added superaverageman in zbrush under the armor and tried to fix it.
The old version is on the right… the new version is on the left…

proportions_help2.jpg

Does it look better?? Do the proportions make more sense? Any help would be apreciated.

So… turns out the arm proportions were very off… i played around with it… and i think i am finally happy with the overall proportions:

pose.jpg

What you guys think? I think i achieved that more intimidating look then the small child in a suit look i had before.

Dont mind the pose… it was just some quick rotations to test the overall look of the character

proportions look better maybe hips a bit narrow ??:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thanks for the comment Gary Komar… i tried widening his hips a little…

Ok, so i finished work on the arms and shoulder armor…

what you guys think?
I think i am just about done with this stage of the model… now onto polishing him out! It’ll start looking much better!

Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Sorry i took so long for an update… been busy traveling…

Anyway…Final version of the upper armor… also put the old version for comparasion… the old one looks like crap to me now lol…

That smooth look on the pieces really help alot!

So i put the final chest piece onto the concept mesh, and still wasnt happy with the proportions…
I tried and change some stuff with with a paintover, would this look better?:

help34.jpg

or is something else not looking right?

I also had changed his waist piece in the front because the previous design would not allow him to bend his legs forward… so he had to go with that speedo kinda bottom.

Any comments or critiques would be great! :slight_smile:

this is a really awesome piece! - the new one is way better than the old but maybe still needs some tweeking. When i’m struggling with these same issues i bring the Ryan Kingslien anatomy example in as a subtool and compare. i’ve done it for you with your image. Maybe these are good suggestions or you can see some better ones.

help4web1.jpg

btw - the reason i don’t have the feet touching the bottom of the boot is because such massive armor seems like it would have some thickness to the soles.

Thanks for the tips magbhitu! Where can i download that Ryan Kingslien anatomy example? It would be awsome to have as reference!

Anyway… Decimated the model and brought it into 3ds max for a sharper cleaner render to see the details more clearly

wow that’s a lot of work. i messaged you a link that anatomy model.

Thanks magbhitu! I tried using your model as a guide and I think i was able to improve on it

I also tried to match more or less this model:

Here is the result:

Is it better? Worse? He does look tougher I think… but does the model still have that action figure look?

If it’s not presumptuous for me to say (and it probably is), You’ve really improved just over the course of this thread. Great job!

just to my unaided eye i does look better. cool man - glad to help. have fun in retopo hell -lol.

Thank you for the comment kevphil! :slight_smile:
magbhitu… i dont even want to think about retopologizing this thing, :eek:

Now just a quick question… which is better, left or right?
There are very minor changes so if you can’t spot them… they are…
-Changed the size of the hands
-Changed the size of the chest piece
-Changed the shape of the lower leg piece

(the shoulders are also different… but that one its definitely gonna stay as it is on the right)

leftorright.jpg

Nice work. I think it doesn’t really matter which you choose because if the changes are so undetectable that you have to point it out to the audience, you can go with either. The overall silhouette is the same and the aura it projects will still be the same regardless of which you choose.

i like the one on the left more. - just my opinion

retopo - hahah- i know right? the things we do for art

Nice hard surface modeling!

however, I would adjust the proportion of the character first before you go any further. Right now it seems the model is sitting at 6.5-7 heads… It’s too short for a normal proportion character. Try to play with the model and see what you can get. Personally I would try to extend the legs for one more head, and extend the arms to half or one head, and see how it will look like. It would also help if you can adjust the proportion with the arms down on the side so you can see the length of the shoulders. Personally I think the shoulders can be broader but its hard to say without adjust the actual model itself.

i would strongly suggest you to get the proportion done before you work on other parts of the model as it will be very difficult to adjust after you sculpt the hard surfaces.

nice work . Can’t wait to see more