1. #1

    Default Sketchbook - KingCarter

    Hello everyone! I am a Junior in HS and have loved sculpting since I was little. A month or so ago I found out about ZBrush and it is the most fun thing there is. Anyway, I hope to one day be as good as all of you! I know that I need to practice a lot to get better and better, and any C&C is very much appreciated.

    Not sure how other people get their images, but I just screenshot and crop.
    This is my first one. It took about 3 hours.




    This one was a lot of fun.2 hours.

    Last edited by KingCarter; 09-25-12 at 12:19 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Lizard Lobster creature

    Hi everybody. WIP of a Lobster/Lizard hybrid creature. Just trying to improve. I may try to render or polypaint it later.





  3. #3

    Default Alpha'd!

    Lizard/Lobster textured.






    Last edited by KingCarter; 10-02-12 at 10:42 PM.

  4. #4

    Default First polypaint

    First time experimenting with the Polypaint feature








  5. #5
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Maine,USA
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    poly painting is fun ! try double document size then aa half with perspective and floor for shadows - place your model and hit bpr for better posts
    gets rid of jagged edges !!
    " crits n comments always welcome ! "

    " im not half as dumb as i think you look !! "



  6. #6

    Default redone

    Gary Komar- That will be a big help, thank you!
    I'm not 100% sure what 'aa' means though. and by 'double document size' does that mean scale it up 2x, or double file size?






    any suggestions very welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizlobsterbpr.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	326515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizlobsterbpr2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	326516  
    Last edited by KingCarter; 10-04-12 at 12:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Mebane, NC
    Posts
    4,194

    Default

    AA stands for anti aliasing. It sort of cheats in pixels. 2x is twice the size in pixels.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Maine,USA
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    looks better - Zbrush creates a 600 x 800 workspace at startup. doc double does just that 1200 x 1600 then the aa half button cleans the edges at half the size back to 800 x 600 ( see edges on gear ) so i always double the size i want to export - zoom out - position model while still in edit mode aahalf then export. with floor pressed your model will cast shadow where the grid is. oh and junior in hs keep at it ! you could creating 3d files for tools needed to be printed on mars !!!??? feel free to go thru my gallery some good tips for beginners in there - cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	326532  
    Last edited by Gary Komar; 10-04-12 at 02:05 PM.
    " crits n comments always welcome ! "

    " im not half as dumb as i think you look !! "



  9. #9
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Komar View Post
    looks better - Zbrush creates a 600 x 800 workspace at startup. doc double does just that 1200 x 1600 then the aa half button cleans the edges at half the size back to 800 x 600 ( see edges on gear ) so i always double the size i want to export - zoom out - position model while still in edit mode aahalf then export. with floor pressed your model will cast shadow where the grid is. oh and junior in hs keep at it ! you could creating 3d files for tools needed to be printed on mars !!!??? feel free to go thru my gallery some good tips for beginners in there - cheers
    Wow that's an extremely sweet gallery you've got! Thanks for the awesome tips, I will most definitely do that with my next piece.

  10. #10

    Default Anatomy Study WIP

    Just a WIP. I've heard that to get good at sculpting, you really need to know your anatomy.
    Any comments welcome!(especially the abdomen area)!




  11. #11
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Age
    33
    Posts
    31

    Default

    One thing to keep in mind: don't focus in on a single area and start adding lots of detail right away. Make sure that the rough muscle shapes are blocked out over the entire body before moving on to the next level.

  12. #12
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPost View Post
    One thing to keep in mind: don't focus in on a single area and start adding lots of detail right away. Make sure that the rough muscle shapes are blocked out over the entire body before moving on to the next level.
    Thanks for the input! Seems like a good idea, I'll remember it.

  13. #13

    Default Anatomy Study 1

    My goal is to one day master anatomy.
    Comments, criticism, tips, and tricks much appreciated!





  14. #14
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Hey man,
    I love your creativity and directness. It's a good idea to get into anatomy right now, and I think you have real potential.
    But I think you have to change one simple but important thing:
    It seems like your using the Standard Brush a lot.
    Dont.
    Take the Claybuildup, Clay or Claytubes Brush instead, and be light on the smoothing, you can always do that later when the volumes and forms are right.
    Then cut in some lines with the Damstandard, and refine the forms. Thats when the Std Brush is most useful.
    cheers

  15. #15
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattSkinny View Post
    Hey man,
    I love your creativity and directness. It's a good idea to get into anatomy right now, and I think you have real potential.
    But I think you have to change one simple but important thing:
    It seems like your using the Standard Brush a lot.
    Dont.
    Take the Claybuildup, Clay or Claytubes Brush instead, and be light on the smoothing, you can always do that later when the volumes and forms are right.
    Then cut in some lines with the Damstandard, and refine the forms. Thats when the Std Brush is most useful.
    cheers
    Thanks for the input!
    I almost exclusively use the Standard, Inflate, and Move brushes.
    With all the Brushes that there are, I need to expand for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •