ZBrushCentral

Bits and bobs, odds, and ends...

Been a while since I’ve posted anything online; figured it was about time to remedy that situation. Here are some projects from the past year; some for others, some for fun; will try to turn this into an occasional sketchbook thread when time permits.

The story behind this one; I was visiting some friends a while back, and two daughters (one about 5, one about 13) and a friend of the older daughter (also about 13) were drawing at the dining room table. I asked the youngest if she’d like me to draw something for her, and immediately the older friend piped up and said I should draw a dog… and the dog should have a giant squid in its mouth… oh, and the squid should have a bazooka. Did a quick 3-4 minute drawing for them, and later thought it might be something fun to do in 3d. Modeled in a combination of 3D Coat, 3ds Max, and Zbrush, rendered in Zbrush and Pshop (first real attempt at a Zbrush render).

Here are a few more pics of the work in progress, showing the polypainted models, the plain geometry, and the initial sketch.

Attachments

Puppy_and_Squid.jpg

Puppy_and_Squid_pre_fur.jpg

Puppy_and_Squid_Screenshot.jpg

Puppy_and_Squid_Sketch.jpg

A few years back one of the members of my bowling team decided that our team should have a zombie theme… so our team name became Deadwood. Did some sketches for a logo, and made a 2d version that we silk screened onto some t shirts. This is a wip for a 3d version of of a logo that I’ve been poking around with. Modeled in Mudbox, 3ds Max, and Zbrush, rendered with Mental Ray.

Zombie_3DLogo_WIP.jpg

Here are a few wip pics, and the 2d design we used for our silk screened t shirts.

Arm_Test.jpg

Braaaains.jpg

Zombie_WIP_Pin.jpg

Zombie_WIP_Shirt.jpg

ZombieBowl_Silkscreen_B.jpg

Here are a couple of Dungeon and Dragons inpired models done for a friend. Decided to do something a little different in style for the clothing worn by the Mind Flayer in the way it was done and stitched. The Beholder is a classic style version (personally prefer that style to the newer one).

FlayerOxideFront.jpg

FlayerOxideBack.jpg

BeholdFront.jpg

BeholdBack.jpg

The flayer is pretty much done (no texturing planned for it); here are a pair of quick color tests for the beholder… probably going with the greener color scheme.

Beholder_Red.jpg

Beholder_Yellow_Green.jpg

And the initial design for the flayer head. Did these using Max and Zbrush.

FlayerStart.jpg

Really liked the Guilty Gear fighting game series, and liked the hat worn by the character I-no… eventually want to make an actual hat for myself based on it, but more of a cowboy style than a witch’s hat. Here’s some tests to get an idea of what that would look like. Max, Mudbox, and Zbrush.
InoCowboyHat2.jpg

InoHatPewter.jpg

While back home with family for a few weeks, had a day to visit an old friend; he asked me to help him with some design for a character he was going to use in a game; my friend is self admittedly not an artist, and was having a hard time specifically coming up with a head for the character. Spent a bit of the visit having him direct the basic look he wanted, and went from there. The character has 3 forms, a energy projector type form, a travel form, and this version, the defensive/energy regen/“light brick” form. Max and ZBrush for this one.

Armourine_test_pose_with_blades.jpg

The head on the left was the initial one we hashed out as a base when we had the time to work on it together, and the one on the right was what I started working on to expand on his initial drawing ans description.

Initial_and_new_Armorine_head_design.jpg

This is a work in progress “turntable” as I working on the design.

Armorine_Turntable_3.jpg

And a color paintover.

Another design for the same friend… working on it off and on as a Christmas gift. Back in the day our group of friends would play the Champions rpg, and this was the character he played the longest during those years, Martin Power. I know he looks like one of the incarnations of Wonder Man from the Marvel Universe, but my friend’s design predates that design (as an aside, there are some funny instances where designs he made or names he chose ended up being seen in other media… not copied by him or copied from him, just similar designs in characters used in comics, or in character or even book names. Frustrated him to no end ;^). Max and Zbrush, used the mesh by someone who I can’t remember at this time, and I will correct once I find that info (it’s friee heroic figure download, someone help me out here).
PowerSeamed.jpg

PowerBack.jpg

For my latest visit home I made some pictures for my younger cousins. The oldest likes sports, so I made him a Georgia Bulldog (based it off one of the Uggas). The middle girl likes horses (she has a fairly impressive scar on both sides of her forearm from a compound fracture received from falling off a horse), so I did the horse for her. The youngest just wanted a puppy pic, so I tried to make a cute puppy for her. All Zbrush and Pshop.

Ugga.jpg

HorsePortrait.jpg

PuppyPortrait.jpg

A little something I did for my sister for Christmas. A few years back she’d come up with a character and story based on a nickname of her’s (Jillocirator), and this year thought I’d make her a nice, sweet little Jillociraptor of her very own :^).

Jillociraptor_Pic.jpg

A quick dragon head and neck sketch for a friend…

Dragon_Test.jpg

Texture test of said dragon…

DragonTextureTest3.jpg

Came across this bit of concept art from Project Copernicus…

… and thought it’d be something fun to make.

Gourd.jpg

Lovely stuff, original and quirky, especially like the head with eyestalks…

J

Thanks for the kind words, Bio; much appreciated :^).

Been going through some old models recently and came across a fish I’d tried making after seeing a pen and ink drawing by L. D. Austin…

http://www.creaturespot.com/storage/chubby%20goldfish_sm.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1306017955926

Tried using it as something to try some of Zbrush’s new (at the time) curve brushes last year, if memory serves. Looked at it this weekend and decided it needed some reworking… so here’s the old and new version.

OldGoldFish.jpg
NewGoldFish.jpg

Along the theme of revisiting old models… a friend had asked me a week or so back if I’d ever made a Godzilla type model. I hadn’t done a Godzilla, but I had at one time tried modeling a Ratzilla (I’d seen an amv by Doki Doki Productions that combined the anime Adventures of the Mini Goddesses with Daft Punk’s Bigger Stronger Faster Harder… would link to their amv were it on Youtube, the link on their website doesn’t play for me; one section of the video showed the rat character in the anime as a Godzilla like creature). I was doing it (the original Ratzilla) as an experiment in subdivision modelling; didn’t get the chance to finish it before I had to move on to something different. Attached is the original cage of the model as built in 2004, and a pair of WIPs from this weekend.

OldRatzillaWireframe.jpgRatzilla3.jpgRatzilla4.jpg

Had a chance to work on the texturing posing of the 'zilla model.

NewTipsA.jpgNewTipsC.jpgNewTipsD.jpg

A friend asked me if I were going to do something more “dramatic” with the model… here’s a quick Zbrush/Pshop comp of something he’ll hopefully find to be more dramatic.
DramaticZilla2.jpg

Mom’s Christmas gift was a 2 part process this year; when I was back home over summer I made a 3d version of a character I’d made for her years earlier, and had a color print made of it to take home for Christmas. Here’s a pic of it in real life and a render (sorry for the real world picture quality; my fault there). The cg render is a quick one done in Marmoset.

OliverPrint.jpgOliverRender2.jpg