ZBrushCentral

Can you give me some feedback please?

Hello could you give me some feedback?
I did this characters from the movie Pan’s Labyrinth, I am uploading Pale Man and Pan, did some editing in photoshop. Hope you like them :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Attachments

childeatersssmod.jpg

edited2.jpg

not bad man, both characters lips could be more defined because they’re kind of square like. :+1:

Your compositions are a bit cropped/narrow. Zoom a bit out, this way we can see more to give feedback to.

Hola Muchacho!

I recognized both characters right away even though they are not very detailed. this is good.

But I think your sculpts are missing some structure.

If you want to work on portraits I believe understanding the human skull and the structure it establishes in the face is the first step to get right. Even if you stylize your work a good structure is vital!

This can be seen easily in skinny people, check this cover of the movie el machinisot here:
machinist10-sm_1096046800.jpg

See the shadow patterns the skill is creating in the eye sockets? This shows how far they are into the skull.
Then look at his cheeks, you can clearly see the cheekbones pertruding!

if you get those things into your sculpture they will improve a lot.

this is also great reference:

AsaroHead_1.jpg

The face (like basically anything) can be simplified into simpler forms. Doing this more or less strongly you can achieve believable portraits in a range of different styles!
(google for the Asaro head to find more views of this image)

good luck!

Thanks :slight_smile: I always have som trouble when making the lips, do you have a good tutorial to achieve a cleaner result?

Here I upload some pictures, do you know how to compress some gifs without losing quality? I tried to use some online tools as well as photoshop and fireworks to create some turntables animations but failed to upload it because of the size… I am sorry I am a newbie when it comes to online forum posts :slight_smile: hope this is a little more useful :slight_smile:
Thanks!
fauno 038.jpgfauno 021.jpgfauno 001.jpgpale_ 038.jpgpale_ 018.jpgpale_ 001.jpg

Hello!
I constantly get the critique that my work is not really detailed, how can I achieve a cleaner look? I loved the Asaro reference, but when it comes to execution, how can I accomplish the same finished look as the one shown on the image, what would you recommend, would it be better if I exagerated some features or leave harder edges? (I am a little new to zbrush world, still lots to learn XD) I recently started to do some traditional sculpting, do you think that could be helpful to achieve a cleaner look back on zbrush?
Thank you very much :smiley:
BTW: I am a muchacha :smiley:

Oh, sorry for that muchacha.

Regarding your questions on detail and cleanliness:
It all depends on what you want to achieve. I know it is daunting at first because Zbrush allows you to make ANYTHING which covers a lot of different styles and levels of detail right?

You should always know what your target is. This will make it easier to determine when your work is finished.

I would recommend you pick a piece of reference which you like and then you try to determine what exactly it is you like about it and what makes the style special. Then you try to recreate the piece of work you are looking at and if you udnerstand what makes the style work you can make other pieces in the same style. If you do this for a while you will begin to learn what stylization means and how to apply it!

Try to make the style you sculpt in match the content! For example, if you want to make a scary monster/alien creature, realistic proportion and surface detail might help you?! on the other hand, if you want to make an appealing cartoon character for a children’s video game you might want to avoid surface detail and work in simplified, bold shapes with smooth curves.

It can also be very educational to look at the same character and how different people drew/sculpted it in different ways!

Batman is a great example.
Why not compare how different artists interpreted him?

Lego_batman_cover.jpg

Please mind that I am not talking about costumes here but about shape design and visual style.

Another good example is the spawn 32 series. They redesigned a lot of the spawn figures in amazingly stylized sculptures:

review_spawn32_3.jpg

if you compare this to another version of the same character:
Spawn25creech.jpg

Ok now to the practical side of things :smiley:

You should try out the hpolish brush. it makes it very easy to create smooth surfaces and sharp corners, play with it see what forms you can make. this is great to get the planes into the head like in the asoro sculpt.
i usually establish the planes first on a portrait, later if you want a smoother result you can still smooth out the transitions but leaving the major planes in tact will give solidity and structure to your work!

Dont worry about surface detail too much yet I would first work on prorpotions and structure!

Good luck :slight_smile:

forgot to mention:

in addition to the hpolish brush, the brushes I use the most are:

clay tube brush (without any alpha) - to bring up form and block out my model quickly

move brush - to move stuff around and make big proportional changes

damian standard - probably everybody’s favourite cutting tool

inflate - to fix areas that got too pinched

pinch - sharpen edges and creating creases without altering the surrounding proportions too much.

this covers like 80% of my sculpting. then i use some special brushes for certain details but that youl find out yourself depending on your needs! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! That is really useful :D! I guess I will be trying to do a cleaner work focusing on structure. I will try to do a more detailed work after that instead of foing it the other way around. I tend to find it more difficult whenever I try to do more realistic characters as you say, I guess I have to do a little more observation.
I include a cartoon character I did :slight_smile: not entirely in zbrush it actually has a low poly model that was used in a unity project.

Never heard about the hpolish I will definetly try it :slight_smile: I do use the move, clay tube, standar brush pinch and inflate, I saw once you can adjust each of this brushes for better performance with the wacom by using some curves, if it is not any trouble for you could you explain me the relation between the offset and the quality of the brush?
Also I am starting some traditional scultpure studios, do you think that might be helpful?
I am sorry for all the asking but I am really finding your feedback useful :slight_smile:

hi, no problem glad i can help.

of course traditional sculpting will be helpful.

One one side you have the technical part which is imposed on you by the medium and is always different depending on what you are working with.

the artistic side of it, understanding your subject matter (when making character anatomy for example is very important) and training your eye to measure proportions correctly and make good observations is always the same!

you can practice that in every medium really. doesnt matter if it is zbrush or traditional.

you can also practice drawing and painting to get better. some people prefere drawing over painting i would suggest you do both as much as you can!

i always enjoyed painting over drawing but thats personal taste. also try to research and learn about drawing/painting in lines vs planes. this is very excellent training for sculpting. i recommend doing painting studies with a broad brush and really trying to define your subject with the least amount of strokes.

this will teach you to focuse on the BASIC FORMS before going into more detail. this helped me with zbrush a lot. always work from ROUGH to FINE!

in a side note: next time you upload an image make it a smaller size. i’d say not wider than 800 pixels or so otherwise it gets hard to see the whole image and reading your post :slight_smile:

This is a good tutorial for lips and probably the most detailed I could find hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSW6ALspyZI