Senior Member Follow User Gallery

jan19
    Thanks for your support. Yeah, I often don't like what I do. Seeing all this beautiful sculpts from real masters here and comparing them with my own creations - the difference might be quite depressing.
    FourtyNights
    Thanks for commenting, it means a lot. When it comes to her body I'm more or less satisfied, but I'm not happy with her face. Yes, I think I can leave organic stuff for now and practice more on designing and sculpting clothes. She is still naked simply because in the final render she also supposed to be naked because she is a forest creature.
    Also, I'm not really sure is it legit to use someone's face and body as a reference for characters. Despite being a model for magazines, I noticed that Hannah always covers her breasts and genitals. So probably it would be wiser to ask her permission first before posting renders like this.
    PS Don't worry, we are all here to learn. Regardless the final level of your model I bet people would appreciate your input to Zbrush society and would be happy to help you.

We are ALWAYS are own worst critics. I wish I had an inkling of your talent Vir! We shall be waiting in An-tis-a-PATION (Rocky Horror Picture Show - lol) for your next journey into creativity!
    ---Wolff On The Prowl---

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Hair?

Hi I'm new to all of this and, if you have the time, I was wondering if you could tell me how to add hair? I'm trying to work on a sculpt now and it has come to my knowledge that I'm not doing something for the hair... http://jaruk.deviantart.com/art/Face-Take-2-506910664

RAMWolff
    Haha, thanks a lot. I think you flatter me . There are much talented guys and girls here in ZbrushCentral. But I will try to do my best and create more interesting art.
    Thanks again!

Jaruk
    I did my hair with fibermesh in Zbrush. I'm not Sculptris user and I might be wrong, but as far as I know there is no way to make hair in this software. But if you ask about adding hair in Zbrush - I was following the common algorithm: create polygroups in scalp mesh, paint a mask, grow fibers, isolate portions of the hair and style it with Groom brushes. There are plenty of good tutorials here or in YouTube so everything should be clear. But yeah, if you want to make the hair in Sculptris I'm afraid it is not possible.

Due to some problems with health I have difficulties with sculpting and modeling. So sorry for not updating this thread. Here is a first attempt after the long break since I feel a bit better. As I promised I'm trying myself in creature design. Decided to do a dragon this time. Rough four hour doodle. Not really happy with it since I had a bit different design in my mind. And the rear teeth are awful. I hope to continue soon and make a full dragon.
    Super short description: this dragon's teeth are growing so quickly, making him always hungry and angry. He is not even able to close his mouth and every dinner ends up with broken teeth and pain. Poor little guy.
    I hope you all are doing well. Stay tuned.

hey buddy,glad you feel batter.and that's a funny story you made about the dragon. about the model itself.it's nice a start but I suggest that when you done with the basic proportions(of course with the dynamesh) try using zremesher for quick retopology.dynamesh is great for making the basics of your creatures(try not to go crazy with it,I did and I ended up with a disaster ) but with the zremesher you can adjust the flow of the polygons and that's really helpful.then you can add fine details.anyway I'm pretty sure you already knew stuff I just said and I'm waiting for a full body dragon this time.keep it up.

Member Follow User Gallery

Glad you're feeling better.

Nice dragon head, how many heads is it gonna eventually have? :P What did you use as insperation? The teeth kinda remind me of a Monstrous Nightmare's jaws, but without the severe underbite.

Diablo
    Hello and thanks for your reply. Yeah, I would retopologize it for sure when I'll be happy with the final shapes and proportions. Also, my PC is quite weak so creating organized topology and subdivision levels is crucial for me. Otherwise working with dense Dynamesh objects becomes a real headache due to the slow performance. Zremesher is nice solution for quick retopo, though I don't know how it will handle such a complex shape with many spikes and especially scales that overlap each other (there might be problems when projecting details). Dunno, I heard in r7 it works much better. Right now I have only R4 on this PC so I cannot test it and probably I would be forced to do it manually. But that's OK, I'm still a big fan of traditional modeling so making retopo by hands is a real joy for me.

AnthonyA85
    Thank you and glad to see you again. Lol, for now it is only one headed creature. But in future I might sculpt some monsters with several heads. It should be funny. I have a small collection of different dragons (about 100 images). Though I used them mostly to familiarize myself with overall anatomy of dragons. For the most part the sculpting process was based on random shape tweaking with hope to find interesting look. It is still too smooth right now, I want to make something jaggy like this http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...=1#post1105210

And when speaking about the teeth - I was inspired mainly by deep-sea creatures like this

Plus a small bonus. Some props I made for abandoned project with Rusalka. I'm showing it since it would be silly to sculpt all this stuff and left it gathering dust on my hard drive. It screams for more polishing, detailing and obviously for adding horns. Maybe one day...

Hi.
    I'm glad that you are again sculpt.
    I love the dragon and skull.
    Good luck with retopo dragon. It really can be a headache.
    I hope soon to see new updates.

Thanks for your kind words!
    I really enjoy traditional poly-modeling and manual retopo. It is like a puzzle. And the more complex puzzle is - more fun while solving it.
    Yeah, I also hope to came back to sculpting. Though I really don't know when and if it would happen - I got some problems with nervous system.

Default Please, Help

Something went wrong when I posted my comment. Now it should be fine.
    Damn it, cannot leave her unfinished. I decided to continue with this girl but I need your help cause I still cannot achieve the likeness. Any advice would be helpful. Here are problem areas that I'm already familiar with. Don't hesitate if you have something to add.
    - The curvature of her brows is a bit exaggerated in my sculpt. Mainly because I was using a reference where she looks a bit surprised. Kinda like it but this might subtract from likeness a bit.
    - On some photos where she is a teen her lips appear more plump. I'm using more recent photos as a guide. Still, I think I might add more volumes to the upper lip.
    - Basically, her lower part of the face is very asymmetrical. Her left angle of the jaw is more pronounced and structural. And overall the head looks wider. I believe this is mainly due to the bad lighting in Zbrush - the sides of her face are darkened, making her look slimmer.
    - Her left eye is higher than right one. For now I'm keeping them at the same level for practical purposes. Also, the crease of the left upper eyelid has a bigger curvature - definitely should to fix it.
    - The most difficult part is the volumes of her jaw right to the sides of the chin and below the lip. I redid it many times but still cannot figure out the proper volumes. I think the pillars of the mouth (lower portion of Orbicularis oris) and mouth depressors should be bulkier.
    - In some photos you can trace the lower margin of her eye socket along all its length. I decided to flatter her and soften it laterally. I hope it doesn't break the likeness too much.
    - In some cases the mass of the infraorbital triangle is clearly visible and bulges a lot above her nasolabial fold. But in some cases her face looks quite smooth without reliefs mentioned before. I'm really confused.

Here is a quick render. No hair, no value changes for eyeliner, freckles and lips. Just a simple screenshot. It doesn't look pretty hence I don't upload it to gallery. http://orig15.deviantart.net/be1e/f/...er-d8lmu4e.jpg

References for comparison http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d88ocwe.jpg and http://orig02.deviantart.net/3fc5/f/...er-d8lmu2h.jpg

Polypainting skin was always a hard task for me. To train my eye better I decided to start learning drawing. I'm not planning to learn all the theory since it would take a lot of time and effort. I just wanna copy some photos and hopefully learn my brain to analyze colors better (for example, I often have a tendency to make skin yellower than it really is). I know this is is offtopic hence I'm posting a link instead of image. The image is under the spoiler. So here is my first try. IMHO not bad at all, I thought it would came out crappier. And yeah, I messed with colors and was forced to color-correct it later.
    PS Jeez, the smoother skin came out, the more it hurts to look at it while drawing (meaning when you stare at very subtle gradients for a while). Does anyone experience something like this or is it just something wrong with my eyes?

Getting a likeness is a tricky thing. I found that the symmetry alone is enough so take away the likeness. Try getting the reference and mirror copying one side of the face to the other, and your see what I mean. Getting some mock hair on there as a temporary measure also helps get the look your after. Try turning the reference image into grey scale, the brain is trying to take in so much information, so if you try to narrow it down to shapes and forms then it will help. Perspective is a serious pain if you have not taken that into account. Try to find the best front, 3/4, and profile reference images. Also as you can see, she looks so different in each photo, so try to get down the aspects you like the most, or find distinctive. Look at the profile of the other views.

Iv done a quick PS draw over to see from at least one image how she fairs up, this is how I go about doing this myself, although I don't normally care to get it spot on as long as iv captured the essential things that give my female faces the look im after.

Using the eyes as the matching point between the two, I found the following to be out.

: Zygomatic width too narrow
    : Mandable width too narrow.
    : Nose too high
    : lips too high
    : chin too high
    : temporal ridge, brow bone are more prominent., I put higher on image for brow bone, but should be further out.
    : Node of mouth either more volume, or more indent in corners of mouth, bit of both maybe.
    : More Volume for lower outer lips, and inflate the lower, and upper lip edge more.
    : The edge of the lower inner eye lip should be wider, so pull the lower outer edge down more.
    : Eye bag lower
    : Pull upper, inner eye lid crease further towards the medial line of the face (inward)

Id be happy to sculpt a example of individual facial parts that I highlighted to emphasize, such as the eyes, lips.

Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison 1a.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	448672  

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing a comprehensive feedback. Your previous comment about female anatomy was also valuable.
    There is so many words I can write right now regarding your last suggestions but instead, I think, it would be better just to resculpt her and see if it helps.
    And yes, I already broke the symmetry... dunno, maybe it is not so obvious in render, but everything except her eyes is not symmetrical. Also, In the render her face is a bit rotated so it is not a best image to check proportions. When I make a full frontal view and decrease focal distance in Zbrush and do a render it pretty much aligns with my main reference. But it doesn't align with several other photos. So yeah, there are so many confusing elements, making the process painful: different perspective distortions, facial changes during her maturing, soft and harsh lighting, makeup and photoshopping

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212228 ... LastLast