ZBrushCentral

Ylo's Jewellery Book

Hi Folks.

This is my first time posting work, very intimidating with all the great artists around. A little background, im a jeweller with wax modelling and casting as my primary way of fabricating. I have been modelling in wax for about 10 years. Started doing cad in rhino but quickly found out that it didn’t work for me creatively, then i stumbled over zbrush and have tried to learn it for about 1 year.

These pieces are made entirely in zbrush, diamond is imported . Because of all the settings this is made to “real” size, since resizing something with settings that needs to fit realworld objects is no good, so no resizing needed just decimation and export STL.

Also bear in mind that these are primarily made for 3D printing not for visualisation, so prongs/grains might be longer, corners and details might be sharper than final product. Rendered in Maxwell studio.

Enjoy

Attachments

DayOdead_ring01_s.jpg

Eternity_bend01_gd.jpg

Eternity_bend01_sd.jpg

Tornado_Ring01_sd.jpg

Tornado_Ring01_st.jpg

my girl wants the last one …damn ahah…
excellent work

Awesome, those stones look very real.
Great!

Hi all

Thanks for the coments. @LVXIFER np i can make her one ;).

Here are a few more renders. Also made entirely in zbrush, rendered in maxwell.
I will try to post some finished pieces when i get a chance aswell.

Enjoy.

Tornado_Ring01_gd.jpgTornado_Ring01_gpi.jpgTrinity_ring01_gd.jpgTrinity_ring01_sd.jpg

Hi,
compliments for your work. They are very nice. I’m already for a while in the jewelry business, and using Rhino. The thing that rhino doesn’t help(as you said) is creativity, also a lot of times pieces become more ‘rigid’ than wanted.
the thing that stopped me using Zbrush is that it is not jewelry dedicated. So the preparation for stone setting, creation of prongs, wallthicknesses, ringsizes etc.
could you please tell how your experiences are respect to this?
Thank you
ramon

Hi

I’ll share some of my thoughts on this. As i’ve already written i don’t feel rhino really promotes creativity and your absolutely
right about the somewhat “rigid” results. As a wax modeller zbrush really gives results close to hand modelled but faster and also has the capabilities of making more hardsurface models. For the longest time i didn’t use zbrush for anything more that detailing
rhino models, but the more i used zbrush the more stuff i found out the more work i started shifting into it. No it is not dedicated, so what this requires is for you to sometimes think outside the box but the benefits are well worth it, for me anyways. What really changed it for me was when i found a way to callibrate my transpose line so the units where the same as millimeters, so i basically use it as a measuring tool and my margin of error is about 0.001 mm which is totaly fine for jeweley and stonesetting. Hope this helps, feel free to ask if in doubt or need more info and i’ll try to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for sharing this very professional level work. Are you printing wax positives from the .stl files? Would love to see some of your work as it is in the world of real things. Exceedingly clean and uncluttered.

Would you please point to where you learned how to calibrate the transpose line?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the kind words. I don’t get wax prints since i don’t know anyone in denmark printing wax, but i get resin prints and
make rubbermolds of them with a RTV. Some of my designs here are sold of to other jewellers, but when i get a chance i’ll try and post some finished pieces.

The calibration i learned by chance when i saw a digital tutors video, where a guy used the transpose tool to have 1unit be the
lenght of a characters head and proceeded to do the body 5 heads tall. I just adapted it for mm, there are probably smarter ways of doing it but this is how i worked it out.Im gonna asume basic knowledge og zbrush, but if i write something wrong of you have a question fell free to ask. So…

Draw a cube3d on you canvas,press edit, hit makepolymesh3d. Press x, and make sure that you see 2 red dots one to the left and one to the right on the cube, if not orient til you get the right placement.

Go into the 3D print export plugin, if you don’t have it get it at pixologic. Tic the mm button and hit update ratios, mine for some reason always is 2x2x2. Set the x,y and z values to 1 and hit obj to export a 1x1x1 mm cube as an obj.

Go in the preference menu and hit initialize zbrush. Import your 1x1x1mm cube and draw it out. press edit. Make sure the orientation is the same as before by pressing x. In the 3D print exporter press mm and update size ratios. and it shoud say 1 in all the values. Great

Now press move scale or rotate to get the transposeline. Draw it out on the cube from left to right, because of the relative low res of the cube the transposeline will kind off snap to the edges of the cube, zoom in and make sure that it’s exacly from one end to the other, hold shift to get a perfectly straighth line here, it should be fairly simple since the line snaps a bit. Now in the preference menu go to transpose units, click the calibration distance slider and set the value to one, now 1 transpose unit is equal to 1 mm.

Hope it helps

Thanks! Seems clear now! Will try it immediately.

Hi all

Here are some renders of some models i made over the weekend, Pendant and Doily ring entirely in zbrush as the rest.
C&C welcome as always.

Enjoy

Nature_orb01_g.jpgNature_orb01_gd.jpgNature_orb01_gbd.jpgdoily_ring01_s.jpgdoily_ring01_g.jpg

Thanks very much for detailing that procedure it is very helpful and appreciated.

Will

HI Anton,

Very excellent work!, beautiful design. I been very curious on who to make my own jewelery design, and did some digging a few month ago, and could not also come up with a place in Denmark that could make this kind of 3D prints in Vax.

But on tomorrow I will visit a new Prefab lab in Valby medborgerhus In Copenhagen, They should have a 3D printer but I doubt it can come close to 16 microns i z-axis and print in VAX. But I found this company :

http://www.protowax.co.uk/ (I know that this Zbrush guy use it http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?166374-du-Rose-Gallery )

Lige for at introducere mig, s� hedder jeg Daniel borsat i k�benhavn og er en erfaren Zbrush bruger. Men har i langtid godt kunne t�nke mig at lave mine egne jewelery designs og printe dem ud i 3D og m�ske lave dem i Forgyldt s�lv. Men er total noob p� det omr�de-

Men du skriver noget om resin prints and, make rubbermolds of them with a RTV, kan du m�ske uddybe det:-)

Venlig Hilsen
Daniel

Hi again,

Regarding size / scale of the models, I imagine the ring to be in the 20 to 30 mm diameter range. Is that close? And is the pendant similar in scale? If so that would make the chain links very small. Have you had chain that size printed up?

Thanks,

Hi

@Willt

Close :D, the ring is 17mm on the inside diameter so 20-21 on the outside. The pendandt is 35mm diameter, but the chain is just for the visual, im gonna use some lenght of chain i already have. And i would only print chainliks if i needed something very special and larger.

Hi Anton,

Just calibrated the transpose line as per your instructions. Perfect. Thank you.

Regarding the chain I can see that it would be easier to obtain standard chain that small and only create your own chain for custom design.

Regards,

will

Hi

@will

Im very glad it worked out for you.

Hi all

So recently i keep bumping in to people and the talk falls on signet rings, and seing Ziggy posting a signet ring made me wanna go make my own. Made a classical family crest style, plain band ring. Buildt to actual size and 100 % zbrush. Might post some renders later, will also try to post some finished pieces. C&C appreciated.

Enjoy and thanks for having a look

Signet_zcap01.jpgSignet_zcap01_02.jpg

Primo.

So this is of to the printers, meanwhile i thought i’d post a quick render. A bit slow on the update…been very busy.

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

signet_family02.jpg

Great stuff… I would like to see finished product, what machine is the wax being printed on…?

Our collection growing day by day… see www.militaryjewellery.net

Regards Ziggy