ZBrushCentral

haz3y's art dump

Hello, everyone.

I’ve browsed ZBrush central for a little while now, and recently decided to sign up so that I may actually become a part of this community. I’ve finally worked up the gut to post some of my own work, in hopes to receive some good critiques and overall improve as an artist. Looking forward to seeing what this year will bring!

I’ve recently been trying to sculpt out some male arm anatomy, specifically. For this character, only his arms and chest are visible, so I thought I would try and get those sections down before moving on the anything that might not be seen. I feel like I still have no understanding of how muscles systems are layered on top of each other, or how they attach to bone.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy, and I look forward to hearing some harsh critiques.

Attachments

Orc_3quarter.jpg

Orc_front.jpg

Orc_side.jpg

Here is a ~1hour speed sculpt I recently did. Read a tutorial by Mike Jensen in a buddy’s book where Mike created separate subtools for the arms; I thought this was a very intuitive method and had to try it for myself. Tell me what you think!

Here is a link to the original concept, done by the exceptional artist fightPUNCH:
http://cghub.com/images/view/227599/

fightPUNCH.jpg

great star friend check the forearms and the wrist :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, Vitrux :smiley:

Its unfortunate I didn’t save this guy, I really wanted to go back and refine it/work on your suggestion.

On another note, another 1 hour sculpt, again, based off of fightPUNCH’s art
(original concept: http://cghub.com/images/view/349633/ )

Attachments

alienSS.jpg

Another ~1hour speed sculpt. Roughly 20 minutes of that hour were spent getting the main forms (which I botched pretty bad) and the remainder was spent doing detail work. Gonna remesh and begin again at a lower subD level, and try to achieve the forms correctly; for some reason, half way through detailing, I just stopped looking at the reference, and ended up with stuff that you see right above the scapula. Gotta work on keeping my reference up, and my powers of observation on fullBlast at all times.

Original concept by, yet again, fightPUNCH.

dookieblast.jpg

http://cghub.com/images/view/374642/

You’re already ahead of the game by observing your (supposed) lack of observation. Awareness is key, and you seem to be on the right track with it. And letting us know you’re aware helps us to critique (to an extent) your process as well as the sculpt itself.

I think the shapes and the forms are pretty good for the most part. When it comes to secondary details, I would suggest using different brushes. I only say this because it appears to be a lot of ‘standard’ and ‘inflate’ in there. I often find the ‘clay’ brushes most useful, as I can build up surfaces quickly and allow the lines of the strokes to possibly create some happy accidents for me. The ‘standard’ and ‘inflate’ brushes (as I am only assuming those were the primary brushes) can create very lumpy areas that may not be visible or hard to understand under certain lighting conditions…

And as I am typing I do see you’ve gotten some clay tubes going on in there, primarily at the bottom of the “jugular", near the collar bone… I am pointing this out now instead of going back to retype so you know exactly where I’m coming from (I hope…).

Guess the final thing I’ll say is, what is the material we’re seeing? I don’t mean the red wax, but the actual material you’re trying to capture? Flesh? Cloth? Leather? Bone? Rock? Even if it’s supposed to be of a demonic or unearthly realm, there should be some materials in there resembling those familiar to us humans.

Keep on keepin on, and hope this all helps!

-Robbie

Hey, thanks for the very solid feedback.

And to answer your question, yes, there was a lot DStandard and inflation going on for what I tried to make resemble some sort of demonic flesh(?). Your suggestion of having a ‘material’ in mind whilst sculpting is quite insightful, I’ll have to try and keep that in mind during future projects.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it was indeed very helpful. :D:+1:

I’ve been studying a lot of anatomy, mostly medium built males, and after a couple of days worth of anatomy drawings I came up with this in ZBrush. C&C welcomed/needed :smiley:
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

anatomicalStudy.jpg

Here’s a little update on a character I’ve been working on. Me and a buddy plan on making a little short with him for our portfolios, perhaps. I’m trying to base the armor somewhat off of the anatomy of a body, so tell me what you guys think; does it look like it flows/meshes together well?

Here’s my first attempt at a photoshop comp. ahaha. I have no idea what I am doing. :cool:

Attachments

Stegg.jpg

compTest.jpg

Here’s a full body view of this little guy, I’m getting pretty close to finishing all the retopo. Still have his goggles and boots to do :confused:

Overall, I think its coming along better than I had initally expected; the concept has come a long way since its original upbringing, but I think I am going to have to go and change up some things, seeing as how earlier pieces are somewhat becoming ‘obsolete.’ Overall, this whole project has been a very strong learning experience when it comes to creating functional looking armor, something I am still struggling with I feel.

Anyway, C&C to your hearts content, ZBC :+1: I’d love to hear what you all have to say.

Attachments

BPR_Render.jpg

Hey, ZBC. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything, but the sculpting hasn’t slowed down. But as for the last few months, I’ve basically dedicated my time to anatomy and hard surface studying. Here’s a quick pic of my most recent anatomical study that has been masked and extracted to be used as a skin tight body suit. No detail yet, but I plan on covering it with hexagons, I hear they are pretty cool. Anyway, C&C is always welcome if you have the time; if so, feel free to pick it apart/destroy it (the latter is preferred.)

Attachments

BPR_Render.JPG

Latest update on a character I am working on. Still need a lot of work on the forearms, quads, and patella region.
C&C welcome as always, thanks for stopping by! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Ogre_Render1.jpg

Hey haz3y, nice start on this guy :+1: - maybe some thicker bone structure at the lower end of the humerus…

Hey John, thanks for the feedback. I am a huge fan of your work, your suggestion means a lot

Bust I am working on

Hi Ili ,well I saw that you do the torso very long sometimes and the arms very skinny,well is just sugestion about anatomy,about your zbrush in general is okay ,i like the sharp lines you do on it.keep going :> !

Hey ZBC, long time since I last posted. Figured I would update my little sketchbook with something recent:

I somewhat recently got my art test back, and with it the permission to post it online. Attached is my sculpt, as well as the reference provided. Feel free to leave any comment/crits, I’d love to hear and sort of feedback.

Also, I did a quick sketch of a demon for a school project. Again, C&C welcome

Anyway, thats about all I got for now, there’s been a lot of amazing stuff on here recently and I am very excited to see what is in store.

Peace,

Attachments

shortSketch.jpg

artTest.jpg

reference.jpg

Hey guys, here’s something I was assigned recently;

I was given the task of replicating an Orc sculpture done by Maddy Taylor (I think) from the WarHammer universe. I am trying to ‘plus’ the sculpt/concept given, but its hard to not only replicate and match the warhammer style, but to even come close to Taylor’s ability. Finished the armor block in today, got a couple hours of sculpting in. Let me know what you think! :cool:

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

Hey everyone, here is my latest project; its a Fedaykin Death Commando from the Dune universe, based off the exceptional concept artist Devon Cady-Lee. I decided to skip the weapons for now, perhaps during my free time some other month. Right now, I have to finish the textures. Currently sits at ~50k tris, with 4 sets of 2k maps (just AO and normal for now). Rendered in marmoset.

Feel free to C&C, I would really appreciate it :+1: