ZBrushCentral

Jordy's zbrush student endeavors!

Hey all,

My name is Jordy Knoop and I’m a 20 year old 3rd year game art student from the Netherlands. At the age of 15-16 I decided to pursue a career as a concept artist but through my 2nd year sculpting class at school i decided to focus more and more on Zbrush. I haven’t sculpted as much as I would have wanted to due to other school courses such as houdini, animation or what not taking up my time but I’m almost entering the specialization stage of my course which will be entirerly focused on Zbrush so hence me starting this thread and getting more intense.

This was the first full body character that I sculpted for my sculpting class. Had to be based on an existing comic book character.

Next block I had another opportunity to sculpt a character which was done for a world building project.

The rest of the year was spent on other courses and sculpting a lot of environment pieces.
Since this year I have been sculpting a couple of new characters for a school game so here are some sculpts.

Here is a character bust I sculpted yesterday. Currently adding a body to this guy! Still pretty wonky but I’m trying some alphas. Besides the hellboy all of these are started from a sphere with dynamesh.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

Hellboy01.jpg

dragonWarrior02.jpg

7EKcG.jpg

A72Ox.jpg

UIP66.jpg

marine_head02_WIP01.jpg

lovely sculpts! especially the dragon warrior!!
i’m currently teaching zbrush myself but i want to study it as soon as possible
can’t wait to see your sculpts in the specialization stage :slight_smile:

Jordy you have serious potential keep going dude!:slight_smile:

Nice sculpt !

Good stuff! Looking forward to seeing more from you. :+1:

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
Bit of a gap between updates but I’ve been struggling a lot with trying to make a hard-surface sci-fi armor. I did some original 2d designs however while concept sculpting have kept on changing and changing. This is by no means a final model and no real cloth has been sculpted so it’s all wonky and stuff, but nonetheless figured I’d throw it in here.

Here is a quick sculpt I’ve done through some boring classes

7dMYpxo.jpg

RtWIO2o.jpg
Cya next time!

Lookin sexy there man!

How is Breda treating you these days?

Did you use Brett Sinclair Astronautica for your 2D concept? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EkIUUqRr2dQ/TpgRCE_-GoI/AAAAAAAAAaI/NXrJJbjhBm4/s1600/Default_Pass_Main.001a.jpg

*Edited:Link broken

hey its jordy lol :slight_smile:

Nice work up here, especially the War character. I like your start on the hard surfaces, looks good/clean. Keep it up.

Frederik P: Hey man! Long time no talk. Same old, same old here, just deadlines and deadlines ^^.
C1-Workshop: Hey man, yea i did, I remeber trying to design that suit but already failing at drawing the pose so I took that guy as a base. This stuff is all student level uncommercial stuff though so no biggie.
Euge: sup man!
Matthijs Kapteijn: Thanks a lot man, you got some cool sculpts yourself!

Alright I’ve been working really hard on our cinematic project at school. I don’t have the final thing to show yet as we still got a couple of months but I had to finish this character for rendering 2 days ago. I realized I absolutely suck at sci-fi and realistic designs in general so I had a major struggle figuring out the design. It’s definitely inspired by Slipgate and just looking at a lot of other sci-fi armors to get even close to a sorta functional looking design. I made a lot of mistakes, was super slow but I learned a hell lot. My classmate made the character’s head because of tight deadlines we were running out of time. The white armor was textured by another classmate and the rest of the body that I textured was really just a rush job because I had no time-left so it’s super plain and boring. Next time better!

cinematicCharacterRender01.jpg

cinematicCharacterRender02.jpg

cinematicCharacterRender04.jpg

cinematicCharacterRender03.jpg

cinematicCharacterRender05.jpg

Also a really quick 1,5 hour speedsculpt from dynamesh. Really dirty but whatever^^!

n4QJ33G.jpg

Really great stuff, Jordy. I hope to only obtain a quarter of the skill you have in 3 years aha. From one sculptor to another, you’ve got a bright future.

You got some very cool stuff in here! Checked out your site, like your works! :+1:

awesome looking works! nicely done!

@haz37: Wow thanks a lot man!
@Santis: Thanks man, really digging your work as well!
@SammehSAMURAI: Thank!’’

Hi all!
Nothing too interesting as I’m realy busy with some other classes that are non zbrush related unfortunately. Just took a couple of hours over 3 days to starts this random guy. Design is pretty meh but i’m enjoying myself moving some clay around for fun. Not sure if it’s ready for posting yet but I want try and get some consistency in updating. Also love the matcaps from Selwy!

These are great, and you’re still a student?! Nice hard surface armor, and really like the dragon warrior

amazing work man :smiley: glad to see student talent in the Benelux :wink:

Hey all!

@michael milano: Thanks a lot man! And yea I’m currently in my third year, another and a bit to go!
Sibu088: Cheers man!

Been super with some other courses at school so unfortunately not too much zbrush time. Fortunately this week I got some time to doodle around in zbrush.

Here is my start for realistic kid gohan. Really early stage still.

Our life drawing teacher from the 2nd year was so kind to invite some of us third years to a day of life drawing. I had around 3 hours and a bit on this. Started from a ryan Kinglsien mannequin and tried to get anywhere near what I was seeing. It’s full of mistakes and quite dirty but I felt like I learned a lot. Also tried recording a timelapse, but some ****ty settings! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3oL3c-Tdo

Finally I felt like I really needed some studying on drapery so I took some stock photos and started trying to sculpt some more realistic folds. It’s quite dirty and not clean, so gotta improve that on the next ones!

Thanks for looking!

Had some time this weekend so I tried my hand at my first female face. Started from pointpusher’s basemesh. I was trying to record a timelapse on this but I messed up my settings again! Will probably add some hair once i finish some school stuff. Still having problems maintaining subtleties in my work and avoiding blobbyness in places.

female01Render02.jpg

nice sculpts, like the boy ,on the famele bust i see an error on the upper eyelid ,and the skull form in general in the eye area needs refinement.
use reffrence to guide u in that area, the chin and lips are awesome.