New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sketchbook: Mathijs Kapteijn.

Hello everyone,

I am still very new to zbrush, just started working with it a few months ago because of my school. I am a student at NHTV International Game Architecture and Design, Visual Artist courses. From the moment I started working with Zbrush I got addicted, but I still have a lot to learn. Therefore I thought this forum would be a good opportunity to share and ask knowledge with other people.
    Here are a few of my sculpts. The first one is my first sculpt, this is Atrocitus from The Red Lantern Corperation. This sculpt was part of a character creation course at my school. We had to create a character based from a comic book. This course was combined with anatomy and therefore I decided to pick a character with clear anatomy. We had to sculpt from basemesh, bake the highpoly onto a low poly, create blendshapes, rig the character, and I also created a simple texture for it. However, since this is zbrush central I won't bother you with all of that, and only post my highpoly.

Second is a speedsculpt I created on concept art from Brink, profided by a fellow student who wanted to do a speedsculpt session with me, therefore I do not know the exact name of the actual concept artist. Sculpt created from Dynasphere. I am doing more of these kind of speedsculpt, however I hardly ever finish them, therefore I am only posting this one.

Last one is a WIP of a character, I am calling him Shedder, I am designing the character while sculpting it so therefore it is changing all the time during the process. Still dont know where I want to go with the character, but I started it to get to learn more about subtools, baking, texturing, and sculpting clothing (since I didn't really had to do this for Atrocitus yet).

Hopefully you guys like it! I am eager to learn, so feedback is moren than appreciated. Feedback on Atrocitus is more than welcome, but I will only use that feedback for future projects, since I already finished the character to such a state that I don't really feel like adjusting it anymore haha.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

Default Batter Practice

A little practice sculpt of today. Also I experimented with my presentation a little bit for the first time. BPR and Photoshop. My own concept.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Interesting creature ..... look forward to finished work!

Cheers, David
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

Default Anatomy Study

Decided I wanted to try a female sculpt as soon as possible since I have heard it is harder to do after sculpting dozens of male characters. Therefore my female anatomy, I wanted to do a convincing sculpt, so therefor no fancy proportions. I left out her feet since I simply didnt sculpt them, and this is due the fact I want to dress her up as soon as possible. Hope you like it, feedback is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mathijs Kapteijn; 03-17-13 at 07:41 PM.

Nice sculpt.

Man it's strange. My first reaction, before reading even, was that she looked really masculine. After I read what you wrote, and I looked at her, I dunno it's hard to say. The features are right. I thought maybe it was the shoulder but looking in all views it seems right. Hips seem right...Individually the parts seem right but she still looks very masculine.

The hands do look quite large and manly. You could try softening them a little bit and maybe softening the shoulder area. The clavicle and sternocleidomastoid may be too pronounced.

Apart from that I don't know what to say. It's hard to put my finger on it. I hope a more expert opinion than mine can be more precise.

J

Chalkman: Thanks for the thumbs up, forgot to mention.

J Appugliese: Thanks for the quick feedback! Yes I know what you mean, my girlfriend said the same to me, but we coulndt but the finger to it either. I wish I could haha. I think you're right about the neck maybe, I will definately try it out, also for the shoulders. Now you pointed it out, I thing it might be the clavicle on top of the deltoid. I will just try how it looks/feels. The hands still need a lot of work, just posed them, didnt really sculpt them yet so there you have it. Should have clarified that upfront maybe haha. Well anyways, thanks again!
    Last edited by Mathijs Kapteijn; 03-04-13 at 07:06 AM.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

I said I would post my final result of the Atrocitus model once, so here it is. My first character, and luckily I got to learn the entire character creation process from it (sculpting, retopo, baking, texturing, rigging and rendering in-game) I almost enter my summer hollidays so I will finally have some time for more sculpting. During the last half of the schoolyear I had to create environment stuff only, so therefore I want really active on the forum.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

As I said, I was busy creating an environment project for our school. We were handed a team deathmatch level design by Lisa Burgers as a white box. We just had to mike it looks good, with our team of artists concisting out of 7 people. Since during this project, we sculpted every single object in Zbrush, I thought it might be interesting to post the video. Everything was put together in the UDK 3 engine. I also show two images that show the breakdown we used for almost all objects in our level. Basicly we created basemeshes in Maya, adjusted and sculpted those in Zbrush, and textured them in photoshop. Like this pillar I created.

This is a statue I created. I first created a basemesh, in a basic animation pose. I gave this sculpt some basic highpoly details, so I would only have to adjust the details after posing. Since this statue was used in several poses.

Here is the trailervideo for the people that are interested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLmddm_UFk

Artist Team Credits:
    Felix v.d. Berg, Remco v.d. Berg, Tijd Bolder, Mathijs Kapteijn, Tobias Koepp, Ramtin Saeedi, Sander Verhoeven.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

Speedsculpt of tonight. Spend way too much time on my Nurbs anatomy project for school lately. My own concept.
    Too bad I only noticed by the, that it looks a lot like an old sculpt I created once. But its just practice after all.
    Mathijs Kapteijn

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Outstanding!! I watched the youtube trailer, really great job! I love the feeling of the world and attention to detail!

S K I N N Y B O N E Z

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!" ~ The Dude.

Thanks skinnybonez, I appreciate it.
    Mathijs Kapteijn