ZBrushCentral

Minotaur WIP

Hi, long time lurker, first time posting :slight_smile:

I currently work as an artist at a small educational firm that supplies schools and colleges with interactive 3d content and lessons.
Recently I have been given character tasks, and as the art team is relatively small, I feel like I need some critique from a broader [more experienced] audience.

My current project is some Greek Mythology :

I started this morning at 9am and had most of the day to work on it to get it to this stage, and would like some advice on where to take it next.

I’m looking to really up my game, so critique would be massively appreciated - as harsh and in depth as you like [I used to keep an updated sketchbook over at conceptart.org, so I’m accustomed to some brutality]

You can also check out my blog over at http://liamgrice.blogspot.co.uk/ if you want an idea of what my work currently looks like.

Thanks in advance. I’ll do my best to post more stuffs as it is produced

Cheers

Attachments

iQDRojn.jpg

I like it and think it’s great overall. The area behind the neck/upper back is perhaps too bulky though.

Great work.

Update-y

Started adding some details, some straps and veins etc. I don’t really have too much time to work on it and i’ve already spent 2 days sculpting. I have until the end of the week to low poly-fi him

Iron-Snake- Thanks, yeah…he’s gonna have trouble looking behind him with traps like those. The look I was going for was how a bulls neck kinda goes above its head when its head is down. I’ve toned it down a fair amount, a truer trap shape I think.

As before, comments and critiques are very welcome.
Cheers

:+1:

Looking real good. Keep us updated.

CSP01b.jpg

Minotaur file is on the pc at work…sooo I decided to give a quick bash of a cyclops whilst i’m home…I think this means I gotta start a sketchbook, right?

Hi - nice sculpture, I have some thoughts.

Don’t you think that the minotaurs legs look to thin to support enormous mass of the upper body :wink:
Also I would make hoofs more massive. Oh, one thing - bulls (that’s from the minotaur comes from) are artiodactyls - it means that has hoofs splitted (don’t know how to name it in English) - not like horses that have one… thing… I’ve uploaded some pics to show my point. :slight_smile:

Also I think that model and posture would benefit if you add more bull like features to the neck - massive… thing… on the neck - see some pics :slight_smile:

Also - I think he would be more convincing if he had his nails flat (not pointed like vampire) or square and crumpled and dented a little :wink:

Regards,
Mac

Attachments

ifwt-bull.jpg

Bull-Facts-and-Images-01.jpg

racice_view.jpg

Suder, cheers :smiley:
It’s odd, I started him off with the split hooves [as you can kinda see in the top post] but when I started looking at reference, I found they werent split? …but now…after checking, yeah, youre right XD I was looking at horse feet…jeez…sigh sigh sigh
Ive taken it to low poly now, but I might be able to fix it at this level.

Ill update later today

Very cool minotaur! That head is brutal :+1:

CSP03c.jpg

K, low polyfied - something in the region of 5k polygons, ill double check tomorrow. 2048 Textures - Diff, Spec and Normal.
Still a few bits a pieces to fix up on the maps, and a couple of smoothing group issues, but he’s mostly there.
Gonna rig him up and skin him tomorree
Cheers

wow! texture is very nice - love it :]

Some square teeth would be nice :]

Regards,

Suder, Thanks dude. I agree with the teeth, but I may just texture them in. He’s gonna have his mouth mostly closed for the animation I think, havent decided yet.

Diff01_render.jpg

Rigged and ready for animation. Im not brilliant at the rendering side, these are the best I could muster in 3dsMax.

Small update, been working on an Idle animation.

minotaursmall.gif

Think this will mark the end of this thread. Cheers for looking

Cool minotaur!!

cyclop update pls xxxxxxxx

Great model and fantastic idleanimation.
I wish, we would see more animation around here.