Question Sculptris and Windows 8? --problem

Hi everyone,

I just got a new laptop with Win8 and I installed Sculptris, 3d Coat and some other programs. I tried out Sculptris and it worked fine. I then installed some other programs including some older programs that I still use. I tried to run Sculptris and this is the screen I got (See attachment). I set up windows 8 with a high contrast theme which will explain the black and white bits but I can't actually see anything else. I'm sure I installed something that had an older graphics driver that set everything askew.

Anyway, I got the latest Nvidia drivers for my machine and it solved a different problem I was having but I still get this 'blank' screen. I also get this problem when trying to use 3d Coat (which worked fine initially just like with Sculptris). I know it it must have something to do with Open GL. I have no idea of what to change or to update to get things working again.
    I have two graphics cards: The integrated one that comes with the laptop and my Geforce GT620m card. I cannot disable the integrated one because then I cannot dim the screen (which is important to me).

There must be something I need to change to get things working again.

If anyone knows what to do, please let me know.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SculptrisBad.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	348922  
    Last edited by mix_mash; 03-14-13 at 02:34 AM.
    My Renderosity Store - 3d props and 2d stuff
    My OLD Youtube Tutes - for Zbrush and other cg progs

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

OK, I figured out the source of the problem but it wasn't Open GL. The problem is with Windows 8 and the High Contrast themes. If I use Sculptris with an Aero theme, I have no problem BUT when I use a High Contrast theme (which I would prefer to use because white hurts my eyes), because there is no transparency like with the Aero themes, the screen is blocked so I can't see anything (just like in my attachment last post)

Does anyone know a way of using Sculptris with a high contrast theme in Windows 8?

Paul
    (mix_mash)

Default re

Sculptris was developed during the late XP/Vista times ... most who've used it with Win8 have had problems. So play around a little and report back with what you come up with! .... If you've got it running, then your doing better than most! as far as your Themes, that's gonna have to be a personal choice. Honestly I'd choose my software over some theme any day. You can always get a folder of backgrounds, set up Rocket Dock or DesktopX for some easy launcher stuff, Use Blender or Daz Studio to create some animations for Animated Icons or System Animator Gadget ....

Quote Originally Posted by justadeletedguy View Post
    Sculptris was developed during the late XP/Vista times ... most who've used it with Win8 have had problems. So play around a little and report back with what you come up with! .... If you've got it running, then your doing better than most! as far as your Themes, that's gonna have to be a personal choice. Honestly I'd choose my software over some theme any day. You can always get a folder of backgrounds, set up Rocket Dock or DesktopX for some easy launcher stuff, Use Blender or Daz Studio to create some animations for Animated Icons or System Animator Gadget ....
    Thanks but but I don't see the point of those programs if it won't allow my to use my High Contrast themes and be able to see the Sculptris work screen. I happen to like my current setup (I even solved an issue I had before which was just a dumb mistake on my part).

Thanks anyway.

If I solve the issue then I'll post up the solution.

Cheers,
    Paul
    (mix_mash)