Default My first post and firs of my works :)

Greetings fellow 3d modelers. My name is Goran and I'm a 3d artist and graphic designer.

I'm so glad to join this great community of creatives. I already learned a lot of stuffs from checking out some awesome tutorials here and have no doubt that I'll do so even more.

With this first post of mine, I'd like to share my current project that I've been working on lately. It is a model of a casual looking male, which I started to work on last year, than abandoned it for a while and than decided to complete it. It is also my first experiment with Fiber Mesh feature. It's

This model has no additional rendering or lighting except those from ZBrush and it's BPR mode. Also there is no retouching. Just ZBrush. I consider it pretty much complete as of what I've had in mind, but than again, it can always be improved. That's why I'm posting it in this forum for some c&c. Please don't spare the critics just because I'm new here

This is first of my works I'll be posting here. I hope you'll like it.

Thank you for looking,

Goran

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Goran, welcome to ZBC. I got to mention this, you got the first name of one my current favorite players in basketball: Goran Dragic. Well, that said, I wanted to just emphasize you about the importance of learning anatomy. Yeah, it's a bit tedious sometimes, but if you want to create compelling characters, that is your foundation. It's not the only and most important thing, but it is definitely your base to what you will build upon for your characters. Learn about proportions, silhouettes, negative and positive space, rather than jumping over to fibermesh, which is a really cool tool, but it will not add value if the structure of your character is not solid. Alright man, here is a quick draw over that I did to kind of illustrate, really quickly of course, what I just mentioned to you briefly. And remember, don't get discouraged, don't feel intimidated by any project, keep sculpting because every time your skills will be building upon what you learned previously. Good luck Goran and take care.
    Last edited by aurfax; 03-26-13 at 10:55 AM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

aurfax,

Thank you so much for your reply It is true what you said about the body. I had problems with it since the beginning of my studies at art school. I really struggled with it and it was somehow the weakest point during my artistic development in past few years. You should see some of my first made drawings and models I dare say I've improved during time, but there is always room for more and more.
    For this model, although it has been modeled without reference to any particular person, I've used image of me as a reference for body proportions. Without intention, this character ended up, looking somewhat like me. Only one difference between my body and this guy's is that he'd probably have a few pounds less than me in real life Except for inch or two less on his belly, facial expression and beard and a mustache, this guys is the complete copy of myself (unintentionally) Basically I'm not modeling anything without some reference and this time it was me. Perhaps if I used a different body type other than mine, this model might have looked different

Again thanks for the advice. I truly appreciate it. Take care friend and looking forward to your and of course other people future feedback.

All the best,

Goran
    Last edited by GoXaN83; 03-27-13 at 08:26 AM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Anytime Goran, and remember to keep posting so more people from here can give you a hand and help you out to become a better artist. I just wanted to add about this amazing artist who I am a big fan, Andrew Loomis. He has been my bread and butter, amongst others of course, that has helped me improve. Check him out and if you can buy his book please do so. It's really worth it. He even goes on in the final chapters to talk about tips and advice for your career as an artist. Here are some images from him. Really study these charts. Draw them over and over, and then sculpt them over and over too, until they become like second nature to you. Soon they'll be embedded to your muscle memory that you will be incorporating it into your sculpts. Alright Goran, good luck to you again.
    Last edited by aurfax; 03-27-13 at 10:34 AM.