Default Sketchbook of Elliot Betancourt

Hello Guys and Gals,

My name is Elliot Betancourt, I am a Zbrush Hobbyist looking to digivolve into a 3D professional one day. I thought I would start my sketchbook with my introduction to the forums, and show one of my first Zbrush pieces. I have been using Zbrush independently for about 4 months, prior to that I had done a lot of practice within Maya and more technical kind of polygon modeling. I draw when I can (though not often enough) and I do traditional clay sculpture when I am not fiddling around in Zbrush. My goal for myself is to push my knowledge of the program as much as I can within this year and then try to compose a competitive portfolio early next year.

Below you will find my rendition of a Starcraft 2 Overlord based on the concept image drawn by Luke "Mr. Jack" Mancini. While this is my first true personal Zbrush sculpt I dont want to give the wrong impression that I just picked up Zbrush and banged this out. I have had some formal training with drawing and anatomy, I also take private lessons with an artist named Filipe Magalhaes. If you don't know Filipe's work he has done several tutorials on Digital Tutors and teaches full time, so he really has a structured way of getting someone familiar with the package. So with that said, I had an inkling of understanding of the package and brushes when I first tackled this sculpt. I welcome any and all criticism especially brutally honest criticism, I know the ZB Central community is very nice and supportive but please don't hesitate to completely shred my stuff (within reason ) and tell me what looks wrong or stupid. Honest and harsh criticism is the only way I feel I can get better as an artist.

So with that novel typed out please enjoy my sculpt and I will post more as I complete them. Thank you for your time and I look forward to all your feedback.

Default Guile Bust

Here a bust I did of Guile, started this earlier this week and had hoped to finish it in one day but things just weren't to my liking so I kept working on it til I felt I got it somewhat right.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GuileFINALRENDER.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	353515  
    Last edited by ElliotB; 04-19-13 at 01:07 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

whatever that thing is...its awesome
    "And your very flesh shall be a great poem" W.Whitman

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by robertrageson View Post
    whatever that thing is...its awesome
    Its an Overlord from Starcraft 2, and thank you for the kind words!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

for my personal tastes i like a lot the first image, beautiful forms and structures maybe i should add some veins on the smothed part that sort of ball and trying also to polypaint it. Excellent work btw

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by LVXIFER View Post
    for my personal tastes i like a lot the first image, beautiful forms and structures maybe i should add some veins on the smothed part that sort of ball and trying also to polypaint it. Excellent work btw
    Thank you for your response LVXIFER, veins was something I totally forgot about, but your right it probably should have some of that in the soft tissue areas. I actually do have an image of it polypainted, but I really dont like it all that much, so I didnt upload it. Hopefully I can revisit this sculpt when I get better at painting and can do it justice

Thank you again for your response and feedback.

So its been a little bit since my last submission, I wanted to share a sculpt that I have been working on for some time. I was initially not going to share this model until it was complete but that might not be for another few weeks so I thought instead of being incognito that I would share this with you guys.

The plan with this fellow will be to fully texture, pose and polypaint this guy, I am still debating about trying to make a low poly version that would hold up in a game engine, but I think for now just trying to complete this guy will be difficult enough. I will hopefully be able to put up the finished work within the next two weeks. And when I do I can kinda tell you what my thinking was behind this model if its not totally apparent in the finished piece

Default Catelyn Stark W.I.P.

Sorry for the long absence folks, unfortunately I must report that the frog project has been scraped for now, but I will give it another go in the near future. I have taken some time away from creature sculpting and am pouring my focus into the study of the anatomy. Working on the frog project made me realize that I was guessing and making up muscles, and I dont want to work that way, especially if I ever want to be taken serious as a 3D sculptor. So Most of my study for now is away from Zbrush its a lot of video lectures, slides and notes but in my down time I have managed to put this together so far. While I'am studying anatomy through the books I thought I would practice my portrait sculpting with some of my favorite characters from Game of Thrones. So without further ado, here is my W.I.P of Catelyn Stark, I want all of the Thronies to let me know how it looks.

Default I present to you Lady Stark!

Another long delay from last posting, I hope that you find that it will be worth it however. Here is the final Catelyn Stark sculpt I did in Zbrush, there have been some amazing Game of Thrones sculpts recently, and while I feel my sculpt is not as good as others I have seen I feel good knowing that this sculpt is by far the best piece I have done so far. Progress is what we strive for and I feel I made some by doing this piece, I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to voice your opinion on the piece, I could always use the great insight from the artists on this great site

Thank you!

Default Lunch Crunch #1

Here is my first Lunch Crunch, I was aiming to make a Minotaur head based off a buffalo instead of a bull. I like the outcome only cause I used only the Clay brush, I usually work in the Clay Buildup brush but I can see how the Clay brush can have its uses. I think the horns are not placed correctly and also there is a key anatomical feature that is missing that I think throws the sculpt off, 10 points to anyone who can guess what it is

Default Updated Overlord

Hello folks, so here is an updated version to my Overlord sculpt, hopefully you can see a little bit of an improvement and I dare say better render quality. Enjoy!

Default River Zora

Hey guys, here is a piece that I have been working on for a few weeks. This is my interpretation of a river zora from the NES Legend of Zelda game. Hope you like it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZBC_ProgressionComp.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	383216  

Default Moblin

Hello folks, been working hard on this Moblin inspired from the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I put my own little twist on it, hope you like it, next update will be polypainted final render

Default Moblin Update

Sorry for the delay but here is the painted Moblin render.

Default Overlord Update

Also as a bonus treat, here is my updated version of the Overlord sculpt that you can see as my first post. I felt that while the first sculpt was okay for my first sculpt that I have learned a bit more since then and felt I could bring it to life a little bit more. I hope you enjoy the changes and feel free to let me know what you like and what you dont.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast